Warning about commercially available Stormtrooper Armor

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was about to buy a Rubie's costume as I am not capable with my hands crafting or sewing WHATSOEVER and saw comments on them how they are shoddy and bad quality. I was pointed here and to my local legion to find better areas to buy a costume. Yet I've been all over the 4 sites for an hour and I've just seen that cannot "officially sell" costumes. Am I doomed to just keep lusting after wanting a Stormtrooper uniform forever? :(

So, I was about to buy a Rubie's costume as I am not capable with my hands crafting or sewing WHATSOEVER and saw comments on them how they are shoddy and bad quality. I was pointed here and to my local legion to find better areas to buy a costume. Yet I've been all over the 4 sites for an hour and I've just seen that cannot "officially sell" costumes. Am I doomed to just keep lusting after wanting a Stormtrooper uniform forever? :(

No you are not. There are armour makers that build their kits to your measurements for a fee. Or you can probably get help by your local garrison and have a armour party building it together. Have no fear. :)

While i understand from reading all the threads that commercial suits are usually less tailored and authentic than kit made versions, is it not possible to get a commercial one and modify it to your measurements and requirements?

Sorry for dwelling on this point but my crafting skills are 1 out of 10 and so would prefer to spend big on the closest possible thing and then modify with my minor abilities to make it suitable.

As such i have been looking at SDS as they seem the most authentic for ANH out of the constructed suits available and being 5.10 and 180lbs should be more or less the same size as the original actors.

What i dont want to do is spend $3,000 on a suit and be unable to tailor it to a standard acceptable to the 501st. Equally buying a $750 kit and hacking it to peices with my amature skills would be a waste of money and probably lose a few fingers in the process or glue myself together.

If anyone has been able to make a sds work, please do let me know as i try to figure out a workable solution

Thanks!

Yes, it has been done. But the really good ones involves as much work and the same techniques as building a kit. Only difference is you'll be spending a lot more money, and still do the same work.

Hey mate. :) You may not have much confidence in yourself or your abilities but believe me, it's not as hard as it looks. :)

I started this with absolutely zero experience and confidence, and now I've almost completed my suit and I'm ready to start another! :)

After you make a few cuts and make a little progress your confidence will increase. Add some armour parties to that and you'll have an awesome suit in no time. :) Just gotta measure thrice and cut once. :)

Edited by Spectre
  • Like 1

Dear Mathias,

Thank you for your advice and the more i read on this forum, the more people recommend Troopermaster TM. I will likely have to get more advice from the 501st Japan Legion (as i am based in Tokyo presently).

I want to start off in the best possible way so the more info i can get the better. :)

Thanks John,

Hope they have some armour parties in Tokyo and in English :) (my Japanese still a work in progress)

I know its a labour of love, just dont want to let the side down with a terrible suit

Don't be afraid of building yourself. I had no experience of anything like it before. I just read up a lot on the forums and went with it.

I too wear a TM armour, and it's really easy to build. It's sculpted both accurately and easy to assemble. A slightly more expensive alternative than others, but not as much as SDS. And more accurate and easier to build than most other kits.

Edited by Locitus

• 1 month later...

Stupid me, just need to resize the pictures :0Lighten:

Here goes.

Out of the box.

post-15027-0-65012000-1325229631_thumb.jpg

post-15027-0-63970200-1325229615_thumb.jpg

post-15027-0-85251600-1325229654_thumb.jpg

post-15027-0-60328600-1325229667_thumb.jpg

Everything was velcroed together, so i removed it all, except for the back of the shins, and glued all the part, and attached snap plates and straps. Also got TK boots instead of the Elvis supplied boots.

post-15027-0-34543500-1325229953_thumb.jpg

post-15027-0-97896900-1325229854_thumb.jpg

post-15027-0-66054000-1325229976_thumb.jpg

post-15027-0-34992700-1325229991_thumb.jpg

So it can be approved if you do some work and buy new boots, but for the price of this kit, its better to buy a proper kit. You have almost the same work anyway, except a bit of trimming.

I have learned my lesson, and i will get a shiny new TM kit around the start of Febuary :D

Oh and just for the fun of it, then here is the first time i saw my armour. It got shipped to my parents while i was i Afghanistan, and this is my father trying it on :D

post-15027-0-99544900-1325230302_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was this close to buying from stormtrooper-costumes as well....luckily I got in touch with NG before parting with any money.

The sad thing is, that this company continues to be in bussiness, and are not clearly stating that they are selling suits of armour that are not accepted (without mods), by the 501st.

"Thank the maker" for the local Garrisons and FISD

• 1 year later...

I just found a site called "http://originalstormtrooper.com/" they sell storm trooper armor and according to their website they sell genuine storm trooper armor used in the ANH episode of star wars.

Just wanted to know if anyone has bought from this website and I just briefly wanted to know the quality of their work whether if it's worth my money, I just want to know if they are legit. I am planning to join the legion and support my local detachment. Thanks

Yours truly

ScoutTrooper3991

I just found a site called "http://originalstormtrooper.com/" they sell storm trooper armor and according to their website they sell genuine storm trooper armor used in the ANH episode of star wars.

Just wanted to know if anyone has bought from this website and I just briefly wanted to know the quality of their work whether if it's worth my money, I just want to know if they are legit. I am planning to join the legion and support my local detachment. Thanks

Yours truly

ScoutTrooper3991

Hey man. That place is a huge no no. His claims are false and outrageous. He sells way over priced. He's really sketchy too from what I hear. He claims to have made his own mold but they are thought to be recast. If you're not upset about spending that much money RS props or TM are a better go.

Hey man. That place is a huge no no. His claims are false and outrageous. He sells way over priced. He's really sketchy too from what I hear. He claims to have made his own mold but they are thought to be recast. If you're not upset about spending that much money RS props or TM are a better go.

Thanks man, lucky for me that I ask first before I dive in blindly. I might want to go with RS props but I'm not good at crafting and I'm pretty much a klutz. As for the fire arm replica, do you know where I can find one? I'm looking for a heavy rifle. 

• 1 month later...

All this said, RS Props listed as a source on the 'where to get your armor' post is still acceptable?  I purchased a set of Troopgear AM 2.0 but the wife is feeling exceptionally generous lately (you don't want to know why) so the purse strings may be less constrained over the next few months...

All this said, RS Props listed as a source on the 'where to get your armor' post is still acceptable? I purchased a set of Troopgear AM 2.0 but the wife is feeling exceptionally generous lately (you don't want to know why) so the purse strings may be less constrained over the next few months...

RS is still top of the line!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Okay so from what I've read, Jedi-Robe/Stormtrooper-Costumes is NOT good. Is it a good armor if you're not looking to joint the 501st, because I am just looking to buy an Stormtrooper armor READY TO WEAR :smiley-sw013:, and I am NOT looking for an armor to join the 501st.

So my question is: Is the armor good if you just want to have an acceptable armor.

If not can anybody give me a good armor seller who makes custom fit to wear armor, that is ready to wear, so no KIT.

Cheers from Holland,

Thomas

PS, my question mark doesn't work on my keyboard so that's why their are no question marks in the questions :P:mellow:

Okay so from what I've read, Jedi-Robe/Stormtrooper-Costumes is NOT good. Is it a good armor if you're not looking to joint the 501st, because I am just looking to buy an Stormtrooper armor READY TO WEAR :smiley-sw013:, and I am NOT looking for an armor to join the 501st.

So my question is: Is the armor good if you just want to have an acceptable armor.

If not can anybody give me a good armor seller who makes custom fit to wear armor, that is ready to wear, so no KIT.

Cheers from Holland,

Thomas

PS, my question mark doesn't work on my keyboard so that's why their are no question marks in the questions :P:mellow:

Hey Thomas if your not interested in joining the 501st or the FISD as a authentic trooper the all that matters is how deep is your wallet. There are a few builders of complete armor, but you get what you pay for. On the FISD there are sanctioned builders that would be happy to put something together for you, just head over to the "Armory" forum. Good luck sir

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

RS is still top of the line!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

RS is at the top, and if you live in the US it will cost you an arm and leg. But if $ is no object then buy RS or TM.

If $ does matter then buy ATA, AP or something similar here in North America.

• Like 1