Priority check...

radude210

So FISD.... I have a problem! I finally have enough saved up to buy my first set of armour (decided on AP). BUT, i am also starting my first semester of college in january. My school is paid off, i have the money to pay my parents for my car and insurence right this second in addition to paypal being filled up and ready to get me some AP! Anyway, the problem is for school i am going into a fairly intense computers course and it is highly recommended you have a laptop. I have ALWAYS wanted a performance laptop (because not just any old one will do) but i can't quite afford the laptop and the TK :( its not NEEDED to have a laptop for the course but its something i want.... TK is not needed but its something i want more than a laptop! But a laptop is more practical. So here i come to you searching wisdom to help me make my decision. Opinions?

You must do what you feel is right, of course. ;)

Personally, I would have a difficult time faced with the choice you will make and I can't make that choice for you. I had a friend in a similar situation; new house, or TB armour. He made his choice and is totally happy with it. You will find the means to satisfy both choices and this could be at different times. Ask yourself how you can achieve this. You know that you know what the right choice is for you and you have already made it, Brad, you just have to do what you need to do to make peace with it.

HTH! :)

Tricky one Brad.

If the solution isn't so obvious that it jumps out at you, then it means that either way is a real possibility. If you don't get your laptop, it'll be an inconvenience, but you'll still be able to do what you need to do. If you don't get your TK, there are things that you simply won't be able to do at all.

I'm quite old, compared to most people that share my passion for Star Wars, but in all my years, one thing I have learned is that you should do what you want and experience as much as you can in life, provided, of course, you can possibly afford to do so. Getting your TK will provide you with a complete new outlook on life, allow you to meet a large number of new people, make a bunch of excellent friends and will fulfil an ambition. It really is a way better investment than putting a bunch of money into a piece of technology that'll be obsolete and worthless within 18 months.

I've been a member of the 501st UK Garrison for just over a year now, have done 77 troops in 2008 and can honestly say that, as a result, it's been just about the best year of my entire life. I've had a number of computers in my time and can't really remember one from the other. Trooping has been life-changing. A new laptop? Certainly not.

Of course, if the laptop was a "must have" for your studies, then that changes things. But it doesn't sound like it is, or you wouldn't be asking the question here.

I think, if I were you, I'd swallow hard and get a cheap laptop (I know it's not really what you want), plus the AP armour. C'mon, you'll use the laptop mainly for surfing the net, sending e-mails and making notes. You really don't need a top-grade one for that.

I agree with Chris in that trooping and being a part of the 501st has been a blast, and an experience that has added a wonderful dimension to my life. I've made friends all over the world, brought joy to countless people, and gotten to live my Star Wars dreams. However, this is a hobby and school is partly about preparing for the future.

A good rule of thumb I've heard when buying computers is to buy as much capability as you can afford, because the cheaper and less capable you buy, the more quickly it becomes obsolete. As for your computer studies, although it really depends on exactly what you'll be doing, it's better to have an overpowered machine and be able to grow into it than an underpowered machine and quickly outgrow it.

It sounds like you've been a very responsible young man, what with attending and paying for school, paying for your car, etc. Good for you, continue to do so. If you can afford both the good computer and the AP kit, great! Otherwise, take care of you educational requirements first. We'll still be here, I guarantee it. :duim:

If it's computer intensive I'd say get the laptop. Much easier to work from home then schlep over to a computer lab. This hobby will always be here, and can be a suck hole for cash.

I would go with the computer as others have said this hobby will be around for quite a while. The computer will be more helpful right now.

School before fun, always! If you really need it for school, buy the laptop. I would guess your studies will be a lot more fun with a good computer? ;)

Good luck! Hope to see you in armour soon!

It must be aggravating to save up money for armour only to have another "need" swoop in and claim the money.

You made a commitment to your education (which is good... very good), so follow through with that. Buy the laptop.

However, once you graduate you'll find that there are lots of "needs" (some real, some stupid). Take care of the real needs, save up some money, and then bite the bullet and buy the armour.

Well, especially with the first semester its only necessary that you have a home computer so you can do homework. The second semester is supposed to be a bit of a different story (but the second wont start till next september), so i am thinking that i can go for AP now :P Then get a better computer than what i am currently looking at when the real need arises.... as for now it'd be more of a conveniance as opposed to a need to have it. Also! Something i might spend $1800 on now just might be $1200 or so down the road a bit (Plus i was thinking i can take my little external hard drive in my school bag with me and actually install the needed software on it for classes so i don't even have to transfer the data, just the physical device). I was looking to spend about $2000 on a computer MAX to get the kind of performance i'd want. (keep in mind thats canadian pennys ;) ). So AP for now to keep my busy/sane through the school year and maaaybe if i am lucky i can get a troop or two in! Although i've looked through the records of the closest garrison to me (Badlands garrison, i live just out of Edmonton, Alberta) and they seem to rarely troop compared to others i've heard of, and at that its usually in Calgary which would be a bit much for a busy guy like me to make it there and back in a day....VERY tough to do. Thats something i am really concerned about is not getting a chance to do a lot of troops. :(

And by the way thank you for all the opinions and help :) i really thought this would be something doomed to hit the bottom of the forum within a day or two.

Yeah, i feel like i've picked something pretty responsible to do. Its kinda tough not getting something you've always wanted, but at the same time i'd rather wait and get a better one. Plus i don't know how long i could go, scanning the boards every night with no hope of getting an armor kit myself for another year.

Hey, Brad.

I'm from Alberta, too!

I've lived in the States for about 25 years now, but I was born in Calgary.

Nice to see another Albertan on the board!

A few years ago, I faced the same decision you made-- except I ended up coughing up 6 grand for a high-end graphics workstation.

I do a lot of After Effects compositing, 3D rendering and Pro-Tools audio editing, so I needed something with ridiculous headroom to chew through really RAM and processor-intensive tasks.

In the long run, it's been one of the best investments I've ever made-- the computer has definitely paid for itself several times over.

Owning better hardware let me start learning more complicated software, allowing me to expand from web design and Flash animation into broadcast motion and video, and an entirely new world opened up for me, creatively, professionally and financially.

It's not often I attribute that kind of reward to an inanimate object-- but buying that computer opened a lot of doors for me.

For whatever it's worth, I'd really encourage you to keep squirreling away your money for that computer, and buy the absolute fastest, nicest machine you can afford.

It's completely worth it when you're able to sit down and work on a project without having to fight tooth and nail with a slow computer.

From my own experience, it's an AWESOME feeling to know you're not limited by your tools.

Just my $.02

I agree with what was said by Chris in the UK, strike a balance between the two and do BOTH... ask yourself, "do you REALLY need a high-pro lappy for what you "need" it for at this time?" Can a mid-range (& cost) lappy do the job for your computer course? ... tech is almost obsolete by the time it hits the consumer shelves believe it or not... I used to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology... as soon as I bought that next $400-$500 video card, or $200 sound card, or $300-$400 processor... no more than 2 months later there was something bigger and better kicking dirt in my "new" component's face!! I jumped out of that squirel-cage AGES ago and am content to scoop up last year's tech for next to nothing compared to waht it was a few months earlier!

I was just perusing eBay today looking at Dell (the only brand I'll buy) lappy's... you can get a decent business class model for $300-$500 (shipped)! ;)

I bought my wife a Dell Inspiron 1721... 320GB hard drive, dual core processor, 17" wide-screen, wireless networking, many, many bells & whistles... etc, etc. She uses it for her Facebook projects... :lol:

Haha, yeah. As pricey as they may be i was looking at the Dell XPS models. My cover story is i need it for school (which i really will next september....debatable if i need it now). But, a big thing to me is games... I know just how well laptops perform in this area so i was looking into something with a little horse power. Then i saw that AP isn't exactly cheap either. I am pretty sold on the laptop i have found. I'd show you, but its one you build on their site. 350GB hard drive (in addition to my 1TB external) 2.7 GhZ dual core processor, 6GB of RAM and a 15inch screen so its not TOO huge :P Not to mention 512MB GeForce 8600 video card. By the time i can really justify calling it something i need i think it'll be much more affordable and still pretty darn good. Where as a TK can keep me quite entertained while i get it ready for a summer of (hopefully) trooping!

Sounds like you have it worked out then, good! :duim:

BTW-

I have been getting email offers from Dell for their new "Studio" models... it seems to be a cross between an XPS (looks wise) and Inspiron (components wise)... those can STILL run well over $2,000USD for a decked out one... I like at least a 17" screen (Inspirons apparently only go up to 15" screens now)... and it really hacks me off that the Studio model only comes with "glossy" screens... I prefer a "matte/non-glare" finish on my screens as I hate reflections in my monitor!

Anyway... I have some SERIOUS PC components waiting to go into a "Gonk Droid" computer case... when I get around to building it that is! :P

I want a Studio real bad even though you pay a little premium for the small size. The only downside is that the system has a mediocre video and can't stream 1080p, with no video upgrade. If the upgrade the video on the next version I'll get one for sure. Between my wife and I there are four laptops in the house (3 from work, 1 we own) and no desktops. I can't ever see having a huge hunk of metal in my life again.

I have the Dell Precision M6400 mobile workstation at work, and that thing is a BEAST, in every sense of the word.

It weighs about 15 pounds, and runs hot enough for me to cook a T-Bone on it.

However, I'm consistently amazed that I'm able to plow through huge Photoshop files and multi-layered After Effects comps with no problem-- on a laptop!

Pretty nifty.

It has the 17" non-glossy display... which is a little too backlit for my tastes-- whites end up looking like they're overexposed, like a 1980's music video or somethin'. I usually run it in a docking station though, so I only use the built-in LCD if I'm away from my desk.

At home, I have the Dell 690 desktop workstation with dual Xeons. It's as big as an air conditioner, but it's a monster for audio and video.

So much fun!

-- Good lord, I'm a geek. :P

Between my wife and I there are four laptops in the house (3 from work, 1 we own) and no desktops. I can't ever see having a huge hunk of metal in my life again.

LOL... in our house we have a total of no less than 6 computers here, a wired LAN, and 3 wireless networks (don't ask... LOL) I'm sitting next to a mid tower with almost 3TB worth of hard drives in it... I have almost 4,000 MP3's, LOADS of images of props, costumes, progress photos, and DVD movies GALORE stored on this thing... even though I hardly EVER watch TV anymore! :lol: I'm wanting a Gonk-Droid, so I'm going to (eventually) build one and make a cool computer case out of it to justify the floor space it'll take up... it'll even have a 12" LCD (secondary) monitor in the upper front to display a sine wave to the beat of music that I'll be pumping through it.. but I agree, lappy's are the WAY TO GO!! :duim:

At home, I have the Dell 690 desktop workstation with dual Xeons. It's as big as an air conditioner, but it's a monster for audio and video.

So much fun!

-- Good lord, I'm a geek. :P

:blink: Ummm.... yes... you are!! ;)