modded rubies supream tk armor

ok well I know the rubies armor is not up to the 501 standards but i got it cheap and only need it for costume parties and such,so here is a writeup for others that might want to do the same.

One thing i noticed is it looks like instead of left arm right arm specific pieces for the hand cover, bicep,forearm,and shoulders it looks like they give you 2 sets of rights <_< also the helmet is large thick and goofy looking like a cartoon so i will probly be replacing it, also they used black velcro on all the arm and leg seams so that should probly be ripped off and replaced with white to better hide the overlaps

*if you want to try to do this please read the entire post first so you don't remove or destroy something reused this is only a guide from what i did and some things may not work for you*

last nite i tried it on and it fit very poorly, couldn't move at all, loose in some area tight in others just looked sloppy i am 5'9" and about 180 lbs this is a standard size kit, so after reading some threads here watching some videos from here and suggestions from guys (thanks for the help :) ) I decided to have a go at making it at least fit better so it would look a little nicer, I started with cutting off all the elastic they had holding together the chest /abdomin * leave 2" on the abdomin *, back / butt *leave 2" on the lower back*, hand cover/ forearm/ bicep, since these straps just served no purpose.

the hand covers already had velcro to hole em on the gloves so i just stuck em to the gloves easy fix.

the forearms i used a verticle horizontle belt sander and removed the lip around the inside at the elbo joint and also shaped that end better so it moves more freely, i then added 2, 1 1/2" wide strips of 1"thick high dsensity foam inside 1 for against the inside of my arm and 1 for the outside of my arm this works extreamly well to keep the forearm in place and is comfortable. *hot glue was used for the foam

the biceps, i took the biceps and put them on the positioned the shoulders over them where i thought they looked best and had a friend draw a line with pencil, i then took some of the elastic i cut off ealier and hot glued it inside the bicep and shoulder to hold em together, I glued em inside the ridge that runs up the center of both pieces, when hot gluing the elastic i found it best to have someone else add the glue while I held the piece in place then push the elastic on pressing hard the glue was hot but not enough to burn me, * a note the velcro on the shoulders was installed at the factory facing down not up i pulled it off and flipped it over hot glueing it back in place

the abdomen was next, since the belt is permenantly attached i added white industrial velcro on the belt strap that is directly against the lower back so the belt can be cinched tight and will hold the front and back together well, next i took some black suspenders and attached them to the leftover 2" of elastic i left in the abdomen and back pieces *the elastic was folded over to double it up for strength* i also added some white velcro loop to the inside of the belt on the sides in the gap between the font and back to hook the upper legs to since the factory velcro is in the wrong place

i may cut the lines on the cod/abdomen and the lowerback /butt later to make it so i can sit and bend

moving on to the upper legs i removed the lip inside around the knees since my knee caps kept catching on them and i also raised up the openings at the back of the knees so i can bend my knees back at a 90* angle (mostly for comfort) again I used the belt sander it worked great removing large amounts at first then slowly shaping

the lower legs i did nothing yet but i will probly remove the lips inside the openings at the knees and maybe add some 1" padding the padding they factory installed is not enough to do anything

i want to do some work on the helmet that was included but it just seems way to big oversized but fit my 6'6" buddie perfect so not sure what i want to do with that

the included body suit needs elastic sturrps sewn in for the feet and hands so the suit doesn't bunch while installing the armor, there was plenty left from what i cut off the armor, i still need to do some tweeking but i think it looks and fits much better than out of the box and it was only 2+/- hours of tweekin

i also need to buy or make the neck seal, detonater, holster and i plan to modd a hasbro blaster since it is liteweight, boots are stuck in transit for the holiday

hope you all enjoy the pics, try not to be too criticle ;) sorry spelled supreme wrong in title and cannot fix it

I clicked the browse button then upload, i think the pics are there just not showing and it won't let me add more, i don't like posting at places like photobucket since they eventualy kill the link or delete the pics then you have a thread like this with the pics missing ;)

I clicked the browse button then upload, i think the pics are there just not showing and it won't let me add more, i don't like posting at places like photobucket since they eventualy kill the link or delete the pics then you have a thread like this with the pics missing ;)

When u uploaded, u must then go under "Manage Current Attatchments" and there click on the pic u want to add.

the contol pannel says images are larger than available space and every time i post now there is a message in the attachment area saying attachment space used 355.4k of 512k, what does this mean? in the manage attachment drop down menu it says 0 attachments :huh:

what are the differences in the anh,eps,rotj helmets and armor? is there a thread with pics to explain it?

once i have the boots on i am sure the shins/calf pieces will be up where they belong, what is wrong with the upper legs? need to be twised around or something? they may have slid down some as did the butt, i am sure once I put this on and off a few more times i will figure out all the little tricks ;) the helmet is not to bad in pics or from a few feet away but the closer you get the worse it looks :P

i need to find a place that sells the detonator pannel so I can make that part also

what are the differences in the anh,eps,rotj helmets and armor? is there a thread with pics to explain it?

once i have the boots on i am sure the shins/calf pieces will be up where they belong, what is wrong with the upper legs? need to be twised around or something? they may have slid down some as did the butt, i am sure once I put this on and off a few more times i will figure out all the little tricks ;) the helmet is not to bad in pics or from a few feet away but the closer you get the worse it looks :P

i need to find a place that sells the detonator pannel so I can make that part also

you could check out the Elite building threads in the elite section to learn about the differences between the three armor's :)

It is unfortunate that Lucasfilm see fit to licence inaccurate armour instead of speaking to fan 'professionals.' You know, people who make armour out of love (as well as ABS and HIPS ;) .)

i use PB, it doesnt kill pic links on me.

• 1 month later...

With the LMO's advice, I am posting these pics for feedback on a 501st TK applicant. Here are the mods he made to the Rubies Supreme Stormtrooper:

1 . Helmet shape has been solved with recently aquired eFX Collectors Edition Helmet and also have a spare one from MR collectors edition

2. Oversized Bodysuit has been solved a lycra one piece bodysuit

3. Thighs and forearms were adjusted to my stature size.

4. Large gaps on side of armour were corrected.

5. Holster for the E-11 blaster has been purchased.

6. Rear belt not missing was badly misplaced. Rear cannister as you can see is placed on rear belt.

7. some Trims on Chest and codpiece were made

DSC05430.JPG-4.jpg-3.jpg-2.jpg

Bear in mind that this suit's origins are supposedly linked to the ROTJ suits, which many of us find somewhat ugly since we normally are exposed to the more idealized FX or tighter-fitting ANH suits. Here's a link to Studio Creations nice reference shots of the Magic of Myth ROTJ suit: http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/motm_...asurements.html

The question I'm seeking an answer to is whether or not the Rubies armor can be modified enough for 501st eligibility. Be kind and constructive with your criticism please. Thanks!

I think it can be acceptable but it needs to meet more of the base ROTJ suit qualities. The AB buttons need to be addressed, the helmet has to have the frown painted correctly to match ROTJ helmets and needs new decals, the boots need to go, the knee ammo belt needs a bit of velcro on the back so it doesn't sag. Other than that I think the suit looks a lot better. I think it should be accepted as long as they stay with an ROTJ trooper.

Well you can tell it was modded and fitted. The forearms are a huge improvement over the out of the box parts. I double checked my ROTJ shots just to make sure but the chest and backplate really need to be fixed. I have no issue with the ROTJ like trim, but they are cut wrong. I'd like to see a shot of the chest armor sitting higher as the ROTJ did to see if that changes the off look of the upper chest area before it's replaced.

I personally think that the modded Rubies Armor pictured in post number 21 of this thread definitely is acceptable for 501st standards. (I do have issues with the boots tho).

The only next step beyond that is elite, and if thats what this person is pursuing he still has alot of work to go.

Without a doubt the only Elite possibility for this costume is ROTJ.