Thermal Detonator Variation

On the net getting more info on my current armor build and came across this practical TD mod from one of 501st own TK899 .

http://tk899.blogspot.com/2008/10/inspired...nister-mod.html

Has anyone else tried this?

Since I am in the infancy of my own TK build, I have a great opportunity to incorporate elements such as Elite and other more practical modifications.

I'm really digging this.

Thoughts?

N4VaHTE.jpg

Personally I think that is a really bad idea. Its far too easy for little fingers to nick the TD, and for us not to even realise it. And if it has your keys/money in it that could be real bad. I persoanlly have had mine taken off twice. Now I have industrial velcro holding it to the back plate aswell as the belt B)

Point taken on kleptomaniacs making off with your detonator.

I know that a percentage of existing TK have used the thermal detonator as a storage unit anyway. I'm just thinking this would be practical with the male and female threads actually sealing the unit closed than using the traditional elastic band method. I like having more functional pieces to my costume (opposed to just decorational).

I plan on using nuts and bolts to secure it to my ABS belt (while I'm waiting for my canvas belt).

Besides, It gives me something to work on in between waiting for the plastic weld on my armor pieces to bond ;)

BTW, a pipe bomb is a definite possibility, especially if it's the explosive chilli I make for game day with the boys :lol:

Personally I think that is a really bad idea. Its far too easy for little fingers to nick the TD, and for us not to even realise it. And if it has your keys/money in it that could be real bad. I persoanlly have had mine taken off twice. Now I have industrial velcro holding it to the back plate aswell as the belt B)

If you're really worried about this happening, and you're keeping your "stash" in there, then simply wire it with an alarm. There are plenty of small alarms available that will sound very loudly if your TD is removed. :)

I agree, I'd be nervous about carrying my money in it, but its still a pretty cool mod. If it's a tight seal you could always fill it with Jack Daniels. The Straw is of course optional. :)

• 2 weeks later...
L :lol: L!

You know, that would totally explain why all troopers in the OT are all horrible shots!

Well... it would explain the defeat on Endor. Imperial kegger!

" it's turned into an intersteller kegger!" (insert Sean Connery's voice) :lol:

I will say that it would make for a good place to hide water, soda and the fore stated Beer.

haha thats awesome. a good place to store beer. a small kid comes up "whats that thing on your belt" and the trooper replies "DONT TOUCH IT. ITS ...um.. ITS A BOMB. A THERMAL DETONATOR. yep very dangerous, and definitely not beer." troopers are very protective of their thermos detonators. haha

• 1 month later...

i am building this but how did you get the ends to thread together nicely i tried the pvc threaded ends and the abs threaded ends and none seem to want to thread in smooth and completly, tried lube and workin em back and forth, or do you not worry about the one end threading all the way on since the seam is covered by the control pannel? :huh:

HA HA HA :lol:

"not an ordinary thermos for you

but the extra best thermos you can buy

with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in

I'm picking out a thermos for you

and maybe a barometer too

and what else can I buy

so on me you'll rely

a rear end thermometer too "

i am building this but how did you get the ends to thread together nicely i tried the pvc threaded ends and the abs threaded ends and none seem to want to thread in smooth and completly, tried lube and workin em back and forth, or do you not worry about the one end threading all the way on since the seam is covered by the control pannel? :huh:

Glad to see that some are trying this :)

`i

I must have lucked out. The pieces I got from the big orange box fit like a glove. Like the original tutorial, I just velcro-ed the face plate on, which covers the seams of the TD.

Let me know if you need more close up pics!

HA HA HA :lol:

"not an ordinary thermos for you

but the extra best thermos you can buy

with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in

I'm picking out a thermos for you

and maybe a barometer too

and what else can I buy

so on me you'll rely

a rear end thermometer too "

A man after my own heart. :D