Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?

Howdy,

I was curious as to what kit would be my best option as I am between 5'5" and 5'6" and rather skinny at 145ish lbs. Thanks for any recommendations you might have. I would like to be as accurate as possible but I am a college student so funds are rather limited.

What is the major difference between the Ap and TE2 kits? Is one easier to work with since I have no experience doing anything like this.

AP is made out of ABS and TE2 is made out of HIPS. AP doesn't require painting, TE2 does.

I'm 5'4'' and my AP fits me without trimming. I may have to trim the shins a bit if I want to be able to kneel down, but the rest is fine! My buttons are showing, and everything looks in proportion. :)

With an AP you have lots of cutting to do, so you should have the patience to spend a couple of weeks in ABS dust. But in the end it's worth it! It looks so good compared to the FX. ;)

Also, if you think you need shimming for elite status, ask for some extra abs sheets in a matching colour when you buy your kit. It's hard to find the right shade later! The kit usually comes with some extra abs, but you'll use that making the ANH strips for you arm and leg pieces. :)

Good luck!

Btw, I have tried on an FX, and it's way too big for me. ;)

Hey! fellow skinny-man here!

So i would say FX is out of the question for someone our size (i am just under 6 feet, and only 130lbs-ish of meat on me). The people i have all talked to have suggested AP or TE2 above all else..... keep in mind that the two are NOT cheap, but i am taking my time and saving up as opposed to blowing my budget on something that will be a near impossible task of shimming and modding to make it just right for me, i am really not the handy-man type so all this cutting and attaching is very complex in my mind. Also, just a side note... for a fee you can get the nice people who make AP to assemble the armor for you before shipment, its something like $100 - $200 more for labor. But, depending on how good you are with a set of tools it MIGHT be worth it. But if its a must, i have seen successful builds of FX on smaller frame guys.... but it'll take a whole lot of work for something you may want to trade out for a more accurate armour anyway, then again this is a hobby and who doesn't love experiance!! :)

Brad

LCM said:
I'm 5'4'' and my AP fits me without trimming. I may have to trim the shins a bit if I want to be able to kneel down, but the rest is fine! My buttons are showing, and everything looks in proportion...:)

Btw, I have tried on an FX, and it's way too big for me. ;)

Oh WOW...I am about that height as well...I also have a FX suit and it fits me perfect...well with some major trimming!!

Here is a picture of me in it!

-------------

BTW, I am trying to get ELITE status so I have a SDS suit and currently working on that at the moment...I am actually trying to get it ready for an upcoming Parade here in Hawaii!!

For Samskara, I would prefer either or that was mentioned above...TE2 or AP!! Both are close in price!! FX might be cheaper but if you are looking for something accurate then go with what was mentioned! You might end up spending a bit more so bear that in mind...you can spend up to $1500 for other parts as well, boots, undersuit, holster, blaster, gloves!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

samskara said:
What is the major difference between the Ap and TE2 kits? Is one easier to work with since I have no experience doing anything like this.

I've heard on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being really hard and 1 being out-of-the-box ready-to-wear the FX kit is about a 5 to put together... AP is probably a 7 and TE2 is about a 9. If you've ever done any model making or crafts of any kind then you could take a -2 from each one of those... FX = 3, AP = 5, TE2 = 7.

Look through some of the build threads and see what people have done. If you can follow all they're doing and picture yourself doing it then you should be good.

Another thing to think of is that TE2 is, in fact, HIPS... so it's actually easier to cut / work with. But it's also easier to goof up. AP kits are ABS, so they're stronger but harder to shape / cut / etc.

--------------

This is from that thread...

Daetrin said:
I don't see one as being "better" than the other. It depends on what you want. Here is how I normally see the breakdown:

TE2: I want the closest I can get to screen used armor, period.

AP: I want the closest I can get to screen used armor, but I want it in ABS.

TM: I want the most faithful fan sculpt armor, period.

RT: I want the most faithful fan sculpt armor, but I'm on a budget (darn exchange rates).

FX: I want the cheapest armor possible that's will allow me to get in the 501st OR I'm over 6'2".

Realizing that fan sculpts are designed to be easy to put together, with overlapping seams, symmetrical parts, etc. Having lineage to screen used means that parts are not asymmetrical and more complicated to put together.

That's a great description I think!

As far as sizing... for your size I would say do AP. It's probably the smallest kit out there and looks fantastic. FX can work (I've seen it on people that are just 5') but you'll have to trim it a lot. Which is fine... and probably needed on the AP too... but the AP is just closer to screen accurate.

That ALL being said, I have LOVED my FX kit and I want my next kit will be a TE2. :)

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

but if you are willing to work at it you can make any kit fit your frame...

here is a picture of us at The Clone Wars movie release in the projection room...

IMG_8180.JPG

if you look at TK-176 she is a shorter than all the other TK's and she has a an FX kit... she did a bunch of trimming even on the forearm pieces. but it is possible.

TK-4720 who is standing next to her is about 6' to give you a height reference since I'm not sure how tall Gabby is.

-lor

• 2 months later...
Howdy,

I was curious as to what kit would be my best option as I am between 5'5" and 5'6" and rather skinny at 145ish lbs. Thanks for any recommendations you might have. I would like to be as accurate as possible but I am a college student so funds are rather limited.

Hi i have the same problem im 5ft 4"s and have ordered an FX kit i am thinking of a slightly higher boot being a woman it may work, it dose worrie me when i join a group having taller guys next to me but then i think i love what im doing and being there for a charity event well say no more i shall keep people informed :lol:

Wetokole that is one of the nicest looking jobs I have ever seen on an FX you really made it look great!!!! I am also only 5'5'' and have just up graded from my FX to TM which in my opinion is about the most acurate you can get and I didn't need anywhere near the trimming I thought I would!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi i have the same problem im 5ft 4"s and have ordered an FX kit i am thinking of a slightly higher boot being a woman it may work, it dose worrie me when i join a group having taller guys next to me but then i think i love what im doing and being there for a charity event well say no more i shall keep people informed :lol:

yeah I am also 5'5" =) and on budget so i think i would have enough skills to cut/trim it....if not go to my brother-in-law to have some pointers and or massively look at the endless tutorials here! ...(thank goodness for youtube) but i dont think it would be that bad for FX for its "supposedly" fit up to 5'6" to 6'3". Just I rather get a helmet that wont look like I have a tremendous noggin =/ *hopes to get the FX light and buy a master replica helmet*

But like you ladyscout =) i would love to join the charity events as well and wearing armor doing so!