Sign in to follow this  
giric thren

How doI fix this

I have seen this problem in alot of threads and I havent come across a way to remedy it. Please keep in mid all pics are of the overlapping method of construction, and I will be using the seam method

Here is the front taped together

P1010055-1.jpg

Here is the top part of the back

P1010056.jpg

and here is the bottom part of the back

P1010057.jpg

Thanks

Thomas

Align the top, cut the bottom.

I dont understand, there is alot of pressure that pulls the top part down as well. I have come to a conclusion that it is because the plastic doesnt want to be overlapped in the front. I was thinking that if I cut a > shape at the top of the front of one side, and a < on the bottom of the other side it might stop the pull. Please if you can explain how to align the top.

Thanks

You need to get the top edge lined up, and then cut the rest. My leftie is impossible to get lined up both front and back without twisting it a little, so that's just what I'll have to do. It's not easy, but it should be doable.

will Industrial velcro hold that much pressure. If I twist and turn it all of it will match up, I will put up an ilistration later of what I am thinking of doing. If I am correct, anybody that has an AP kit wont have to cut the ankle, and it will match up almost perfectly.

will Industrial velcro hold that much pressure. If I twist and turn it all of it will match up, I will put up an ilistration later of what I am thinking of doing. If I am correct, anybody that has an AP kit wont have to cut the ankle, and it will match up almost perfectly.

My AP shins did the same. First I added the Velcro then wrapped some tape around the shin to help hold the shape I wanted. I then poured boiling water over it a few times and let it cool. Now my shin armor lines up perfectly with no pressure pulling it apart. :D

My AP shins did the same. First I added the Velcro then wrapped some tape around the shin to help hold the shape I wanted. I then poured boiling water over it a few times and let it cool. Now my shin armor lines up perfectly with no pressure pulling it apart. :D

Ahh, that's a good idea! Thanks! :D

I've just blogged about this problem, hehe.

Thats a great suggestion, and alot easier than my idea

Thats a great suggestion, and alot easier than my idea

I did this to all the leg and the arm parts. Hope this works out for you guys. :D

I will try do this to my shins. But did you also glue the shins before pouring the hot water? I am woundering this because it sounds like it would be much easier to glue after the pieces are in shape with each other.

I will try do this to my shins. But did you also glue the shins before pouring the hot water? I am woundering this because it sounds like it would be much easier to glue after the pieces are in shape with each other.

My shins, thighs, and arm pieces were glued first and the Velcro was in place.

I'm ready to do the boiling water treatment now, but I'm scared of ruining my armour! Can anyone please tell me that this is going to be fine, and that there will be no ruined shins? :o

How about put these parts together with rivets and then cover them with this plastic stripe.But I see this side should be open and with velcro, cos you will have problem to put legs inside. Hm this warm water should be fine. Because it is not that warm too much to melt plastic. You can´t have water more than 100 degree of celsius and for melting plastic you need more than 200 degrees of celsius.

Boiling water won't hurt the plastic. Just doing press it against the bottom of the pan, or let it set near the edges. Hold it in place so it's suspended in the boiling water.

I'm ready to do the boiling water treatment now, but I'm scared of ruining my armour! Can anyone please tell me that this is going to be fine, and that there will be no ruined shins? :o

If you feel unsure you can always try the boiling water trick on a piece of scrapped plastic, just to see how the material reacts. :rolleyes:

this is the standard problem with the AP shins. They share parts so only one leg matches up right. Don't worry, once you glue the front and trim it looks fine. I stressed big time over the fit but once I was done it looked great.

this is the standard problem with the AP shins. They share parts so only one leg matches up right. Don't worry, once you glue the front and trim it looks fine. I stressed big time over the fit but once I was done it looked great.

Yes, what Kiyotei said. I had major stress over this as well and it really bothered me. But after you glue the fronts, the velcro will keep the backs in place (aligned how you want them).