Can anyone provide frown dimensions to aid MRCE mod?

airpaint

Hi,

Hope this is right section to post this in. I was wondering if anyone with a proper grown-up helmet (TE2, AP, SDS, etc) could maybe post photos of the frown area front and side profile with some basic measurements marked on to help me decide how far to go with modding the MRCE frown. I'd like to see if it's possible to hack it/fill it/sculpt it right up to the full size.

The heights (and widths if not too much hassle) of the teeth, or at least the centre one would be a big help.

Also the approx distance from the upper edge of the frown straight up to the centre of the straight line across the top of the eyes and the distance from the centre lower edge of the frown straight down to the edge of the curve into the recess for the vocoder. This is to try and decide whether extra width in the MRCE frown should be carved all from the top edge, maybe lower edge or both.

The exact points aren't critical but it'd be nice to see them marked on the photo so I can try and work out similar proportions on my MRCE. One or two measured distance lines of your choice (maybe between the eyes is an easy one?) anywhere else on the face to help me scale the measurements to fit the MRCE better would be perfect.

I know I'm asking for quite a fiddly bit of time-consuming stuff here and I've looked at a lot of the references available here and on the web but this is such a subtle thing and you know how deceptive all the different curves and angles are on these helmets, plus different focal lengths produce different results between photos.

Should have said, ANH style, sorry.

Cheers,

Guy

I take it u know this site mate - http://www.starwarshelmets.com/

great resource.

also - dont think theres a hard and fast rule. the MRCE QA was never quite 100% so diff people seem to widen diff amt. IF u want to check out my lid - its now completed over on UKG forums :D

Nate

Hi Nate,

Yes, I know Star Wars Helmets and all the usual places and it's from them that I can see that the ANH helmets had a much larger and wider frown than I could get by simply filing out the existing MRCE frown. I'm considering going the whole hog and really carving it all out, widening right down to the side tubes, etc. I'd have to put quite a lot of fill material in to re-sculpt the new edges so I'd like to see some actual measurements to give me a more positive guide to work to if I've hacked away the existing shapes. Measurements from other ANH helmets would give me a bit more confidence and help me get the proportions right as there'll obviously be a lot of difference between the idealised, symmetrical MRCE and the wonky ANH helmets.

Don't get me wrong, I think the modded MRCE helmets I've seen on here look fantastic. This is just an excuse for a bit of a project!

By the way, is your helmet in a public forum on UKG if I go look?

ah - if u are gonna go the whole hog like that; it might just be better goign for a ANH accurate lid.

this is the way I see it - I like the MR CE because it is symmetrical. I did want it to look like a sanitised lid close to ANH, rather than BE a ANH lid.

Potential problem with wot u are planning is that u are gonna try to make a symmetrical product fairly asymmetrical ie changing the WHOLE thing. Not saying its not possible - just saying there are easier ways to do it.

Too many curves and twists to give u exact measurement IMHO. Also; poeple have only widened their frowns; I think if u widen it to true ANH accuracy; it will start messing abt with top/ bottom lip too much

I know AP does some "2nds" lids for just a little bit more than a fully modded MRCE and those lids are more ANH accurate.

And yes - my MRCE overhaul is in the public area of the UKG forums.

have fun matey :D

Nate, I haven't made it clear exactly want I want to do. I'll try and explain myself better. Like you, I like the perfect, symmetrical idealised look of the MRCE and that's what I want to stay with otherwise I'd agree that an AP would be a better choice. I want to expand the frown to the full size of the original helmets but keep it all tidy and symmetrical and in keeping with the MRCE. As the reference helmets are so 'organic' in their construction, it's quite a tricky call to decide how to translate the frown across to the MRCE, hence the extra detail of the measurements will help me decide how I want to bias the proportions. I don't want to copy the measurements straight across, just see how they relate to the same points on the MRCE.

I guess I'm having to make a similar decision to Master Replicas once they'd got a 3-D scan of an original helmet. Which bits to base the symmetry on, if you see what I mean. Did they choose to mirror the big side tube, the small side tube or compromise in between? That sort of thing.

Not looking for the easiest way to do things, almost the opposite just for the sake of it :P Would be different if I had a set of armour waiting to be built up or any deadlines. This is my first Stormtrooper helmet and messing it about is part of the fun. You know what it's like, it only takes a short while to lose the excitement of a new toy so this is a way of prolonging the buzz. Bit like persuading her to get her best friend to join in or putting low suspension on a hot hatch...

If I'm honest, I think the MRCE looks pretty good out of the box and the big front seam was the only thing that caught my eye first off.

Doh, of course, I've seen bits of your MRCE build before. One of the best photo sequences I've seen and end result is spot on, pretty much what I'm aiming at. I personally think the cut down MRCE ears look superb for the idealised look.

I should have put TE2, AP, TM, SDS in the title, shouldn't I? Can't find a way to edit it.

Anyway, here's a list of the measurements I'd ideally like, or as many as you can be bothered with:

I've put a photo of my MRCE faceplate with all the measurement points marked on it in my gallery here:

-----------

Sorry, too dim to be able to post a photo in a thread yet!

1 ) Shortest distance between eyes.

2 ) Bridge of nose to upper edge of frown.

3 ) Width of centre tooth.

4 ) Height of centre tooth.

5 ) Lower edge of frown to top of recess for vocoder.

6 ) Horizontal width of frown. Best guess is fine as it's tricky to measure.

7 ) Height outer right (as worn) tooth.

8 ) Height 2nd outer right (as worn) tooth.

9 ) Height 2nd inner right (as worn) tooth.

10)Height inner right (as worn) tooth.

11)Width inner left (as worn) tooth.

12)Width 2nd inner left (as worn) tooth.

13)Width 2nd outer left (as worn) tooth.

14)Width outer left (as worn) tooth.

15)Width outer right (as worn) tooth.

16)Width 2nd outer right (as worn) tooth.

17)Width 2nd inner right (as worn) tooth.

18)Width inner right (as worn) tooth.

19)Height inner left (as worn) tooth.

20)Height 2nd inner left (as worn) tooth.

21)Height 2nd outer left (as worn) tooth.

22)Height outer left (as worn) tooth.

Don't ask much, do I? If anyone replies, just write the photo reference number and the dimension, millimetres best but whatever. Whichever numbers you can be bothered with but 1-5 inclusive would be most useful.

Now to find out if I can post this.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 6 years later...