Negative concerns about the 501st legion?

Imperial_juggernaut

Hello white armor.net, TK 74182. I have a question, i was looking at other countries 501st events one day and i notice people on the web were having concerns about us being too strict or us being a negative role model to others since we dress up as villains or resemble real world militaries, how should we address this issue? thank you.

Those posting the negative comments online obviously have no idea what we represent.  If they would bother to dig a little deeper into our organization, they would find that we have raised over $360,000.00 for the "Make-A-Wish" foundation and many, many thousands more for local charities.

We spend crazy amounts of money building our costume(s) and then drive countless miles to appear (for free) at the events we attend on our own time.

Remember, we only show up when we are invited, and this includes children's hospitals, police community events, parades, etc.   We are asked back to these events year after year for a reason.  Yes, we are the "bad guys", but what kid wouldn't want to meet a "real life" Stormtrooper who gives them a high-five?

We don't do this for notoriety.  We do it because we care.  Yeah, it's fun to dress up as your favorite SW character, but when you see a giant ear-to-ear smile on a kid (or adult) at a troop it makes all the time (and money) you spent building that costume worthwhile.

"Bad guys doing good".

Side note:  I have been on more troops than I can count, and I have noticed that the vast majority of those wanting photos with members of the 501st (especially TKs) FAR outweighs those wanting a pic with a Jedi.  No offense to you Rebel Legion types, lol.

• Like 12

The other reality is most who say such negative things are those who don’t want to put effort into replica costumes or sadly those who were disfellowshipped from 501st due to any number of reasons. I generally don’t see much in terms of negativity from most people.

Even as a GML when I work with individuals who don’t have approvable costumes or think I’m strict once I explain the details and the quality differences I’d say most understand and then find themselves asking how to get to that point rather than getting offended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A lot comes from our costuming standards, some not understanding and frustrated they haven't been approved so the first thing to do is yell out on social media the legion is too strict. That's not to diminish some peoples experience in the legion a lot can be negative but I find the positive more out ways the negative.

Every club has it's issues, look at our former LCO takes to social media and rants over issues she encounered, that's not the way a club leader should act.

Social media is the easiest way to get negativity out there in the world, it has a lot to answer for.

Mostly my time in the legion has been positive, hopefully that remains until I call it a day.

• Like 3

I can tell you from personal experience that it just takes one person (and in my case it was a 501st TK) to throw water on someone's hopes.  Thankfully a lot has changed since then.  I vowed that should I ever get to the 501st that I would never be "that guy" who dashes someone's hope.   After that, for a short while, I had nothing good to say about the 501st.  It was an elitist group that forgot what they were supposed to represent and were taking themselves far too seriously for walking around in plastic armor.

My point is, not everyone is good at PR and should a 501st member be that someone it is better to defer to the member who is good at it.  I spent many hours at the club table during my first troop talking to lots of people and no one was anything but excited about the 501st.  Everyone got the idea of the bad guys doing good and were excited about it.

When the day comes that a Karen or Ken is going to try and give us grief I'm prepared with the facts.  You might not change their mind with those facts but you can deliver them and move on to the person who does want to see you there.  I see no point in whipping a dead horse if their mind can't be changed or they just want to make trouble.

Bart

And, there is still nothing cooler than seeing lots of the shinny white armor together in a group.  That is just plain cool and will never grow old.

Edited by BAZINGA
  • Like 1

I think most of what I have to say has already bee posted above.

There can be bad eggs in any group that don't necessarily portray the ideal roll model for a club, and we are not free or exempt from that.

There are more good eggs in the 501st carton than bad that is for sure, but there are many many elements and opinions  that can occur to have some one say you are all bad because of x or y or z.

Something we do here on FISD is take pride in making sure our forum community is supported, we have a friendly environment and give plenty of reason for people to come visit us here and see what we do and how we assist in making dreams come true and changing peoples lives.

We don't tolerate bulling, we don't allow politics as a general topic or anything really that can divide our members, we focus on uniting our massive family in a positive way and this is part of the reason why we have the most active forums in the legion.

It's not just what people experience out on the street, it is what they experience on all avenues, like our social media platforms etc, and that is why we also don't tolerate the above mention things anywhere.

We are the same where ever you visit FISD and can only hope those who are our members do the same when out on a troop or meeting the public face to face.

• Like 1

One final note I’ll say. Being a GML I’ve had to deal with the potential of lots of negative response when a costume doesn’t meet basic approval standards. It really sucks and honestly many times I wonder why I still do it.

That being said almost every time I get initial negativity in responses as soon as I’ve better explained the replica standard and help offered through forum and garrison resources most people tend to have an instant change of anger and despair to hope (who says stormtroopers aren’t better Jedi than the Jedi themselves?)

Even today I had just that. Someone submitted armor that was commercially bought from a well know bad and unapprovable source and I had provided a very detailed comparison and explanation of the mods.

Their initial response was quite negative but I continued to help them see the future perspective and understand that many of us have been there before. Myself included. My first approved tk was not my first tk submission. Rubies taught me a lot about quality of replicas lol.

The individual though bummed truly seemed to be interested in finding and getting resources after knowing they were not alone and there are still ways to get there and be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^THIS^^

Very common with GML's to encounter negative interactions, there's always some joker that flies off the handle, the really bad ones I post their costume photos in the GML sections of the main 501st forum, they are then judged by detachment staff, they don't seem to complain as much when it comes from detachment staff and it's too bad for them if more things are noticed ;) 

So being relatively new to the 501st, I though I'd share my thoughts. I first remember meeting the 501st at a Charlotte Checkers Game in 2014. Here's some picture of little me at that event:

L6CExW0.pngrYel10V.png

Finding out about them, I always thought it was super cool what the group does with it's charity and community work. However, it was defiantly intimidating to join. It seemed like something that was a "nice thought" but never something I'd be able to do. I was worried that my level of costuming wouldn't meet the standards (tbh I still worry about that). But with the resources on the different forums and the helpful people that are able to provide input, I was fortunate enough to figure out how to get in!

Now that I'm in, it has opened my eyes to both the good and the bad behind the curtains. Majority has been good. I've meet some very nice and helpful people at my garrison. I've seen first hand what good my actions have on people and what joy it can bring them.

Only bad is the legion politics and hearing about random drama happening. But that's bound to happen with like what, 15,000 people worldwide? It is a little bummer to hear when that stuff happens, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Like I said, there is majority good happening.

I'm excited to continue being apart of this group for years to come!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coolajxl said:

t was defiantly intimidating to join. It seemed like something that was a "nice thought" but never something I'd be able to do.

^^ this ^^

That is a hurtle to get over for sure.  How can it not be for most?  I mean you are going to have to meet a standard and are going to be held to a standard whenever trooping.  That's a lot at the beginning and finding the right members to coach you along is one way through that.

Bart

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BAZINGA said:

^^ this ^^

That is a hurtle to get over for sure.  How can it not be for most?  I mean you are going to have to meet a standard and are going to be held to a standard whenever trooping.  That's a lot at the beginning and finding the right members to coach you along is one way through that.

Bart

Exactly! That's what's been intimidating for me to work more on my TK Kit. I feel there's a lot of pressure to make any cut or glue as it isn't able to be undone. When I got it I laid everything out and got super overwhelmed. I did however get the motivation yesterday to finish the assembly/glue together a bicep piece! So yay! Small victory! It was also a used kit so it's partially assembled already so I had to figure out where in the proccess it is to being completed.

Luckily I have two things going for me that can help. 1) The forums here have a LOT of information. I used that one extensive Anovos assembly guide to help with the bicep yesterday. 2) I have someone from my garrison coming this coming Saturday to help get me started and guide me on what to do!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coolajxl said:

Exactly! That's what's been intimidating for me to work more on my TK Kit. I feel there's a lot of pressure to make any cut or glue as it isn't able to be undone.

I should clarify, I mean more my own personal pressure to get it right and follow the guidelines. Sorry for any confusion

There's been alot of amazing replies to this. And I'm sure there are interactions that didn't go in the best way. It happens. We aren't perfect. And to those people they may not appreciate us, or talk bad about us for that one experience. All we can really do, is try our best to always do what we can to show a shining beacon of goodness and continue to do the good works that we do do. We will never please everyone. No matter how hard we try. Just keep trying to better ourselves. So we can better everyone else!! 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Abdel said:

There's been alot of amazing replies to this. And I'm sure there are interactions that didn't go in the best way. It happens. We aren't perfect. And to those people they may not appreciate us, or talk bad about us for that one experience. All we can really do, is try our best to always do what we can to show a shining beacon of goodness and continue to do the good works that we do do. We will never please everyone. No matter how hard we try. Just keep trying to better ourselves. So we can better everyone else!! 

Well said!

1 hour ago, Abdel said:

Now I am getting all those positive feelings again.  :wub: Bart