ANH Strapping

camroc13

Hello all! My name is Cormac I am a member of Star Garrison TKID 11198 and I would like to get some reference photos for how you guys have the strapping for the ANH TK builds. I recently bought a TK from a fellow garrison member and let’s just say the strapping needs a lot of work. I’ve worn it a few times and it works but not great. I’ve been having to make small repairs here and there every time I wear the costume. I think it needs some work I’ll try to attach some photos below. Main thing I need to fix is the right shoulder and the thigh armor. Everything else fits me great but it does need a overhaul when it comes to the inside. I already submitted approval pics at least for basic approval so hoping to at least get this kit approved before I start doing some major changes to the strapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note I could not really see well out of the helmet in those photos so that was why I was standing awkwardly I have since adjusted the padding to where I can actually see a lot better

d0fb3b491e93175ce5dc8abfd19c3229.jpeg
cac84b7f91501565a38dce01a4f8d076.jpg
Here is the suit with some minor adjustments for a recent event I am the TK on the far left in both photos you can see how the shoulder armor drops ever so slightly on my right side.

Double snaps can be the difference between trooping and not, especially in areas that can take some strain as you can occasionally have them pull through the elastic.

wXbXJe1.jpg

Great thread here on snap setting

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Double snaps can be the difference between trooping and not, especially in areas that can take some strain as you can occasionally have them pull through the elastic.

Personally I find that just folding the elastic over itself at each end where the snap sits works just as well and uses half the amount of snaps.

4 hours ago, Locitus said:

Personally I find that just folding the elastic over itself at each end where the snap sits works just as well and uses half the amount of snaps.

Hell, I triple mine over so that the ends are not exposed where they can fray (though I heat seal them anyways) and it does really reinforce the snap, provided that you have the right post length to accommodate. But the double snap is there in case one fails, and to prevent lateral play from a single snap that is able to rotate. In some areas (like the arms), you want this for mobility, but in others (like the body panels) you definitely do not. The wingnut chart above is an outstanding starting point.

59 minutes ago, camroc13 said:

Most of mine is held together with Velcro and a lot of tape haha which works but again not great definitely need to look into upgrading to more snaps.

Velcro is great because it's adjustable. 

But Velcro also is terrible because it's adjustable.

I usually recommend people wear their suit around a lot in order to get the fit dialed in with the Velcro, then upgrade to snaps by directly replacing the Velcro with the same measurements once you're happy with how it looks. But Velcro is generally not remotely accurate, nor a good long term solution. The only place I have it that's "structural" is to hold the back of my shins shut, personally.

19 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Hell, I triple mine over so that the ends are not exposed where they can fray (though I heat seal them anyways) and it does really reinforce the snap, provided that you have the right post length to accommodate. But the double snap is there in case one fails, and to prevent lateral play from a single snap that is able to rotate. In some areas (like the arms), you want this for mobility, but in others (like the body panels) you definitely do not. The wingnut chart above is an outstanding starting point.

I kind of like having the snaps able to rotate. And not even once has any of my snaps failed. But I use heavy duty snaps so that might help.

• Like 1

There are several good examples of how I do my strapping in the below thread - hope it helps!

Was just looking through your thread any chance you plan on selling your strapping kit again would make my life easier if they are already assembled and ready to go for gluing on the armor.

Found this on Etsy what are y’all thoughts on this kit? Also I noticed that there is 2 options the snaps separate and pre-set male snaps. Don’t really know what the difference is. Assuming it would be better to get it pre-set. Would rather get something that is mostly ready to go for attaching on armor without much work.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/595852866/

22 minutes ago, camroc13 said:

Found this on Etsy what are y’all thoughts on this kit? Also I noticed that there is 2 options the snaps separate and pre-set male snaps. Don’t really know what the difference is. Assuming it would be better to get it pre-set. Would rather get something that is mostly ready to go for attaching on armor without much work.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/595852866/

Personally I think that is a little expensive, you would still need to make fit for you, purchasing and making your own would be a lot cheaper in the long run

Personally I think that is a little expensive, you would still need to make fit for you, purchasing and making your own would be a lot cheaper in the long run

Gotcha I will do more research then I appreciate it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, camroc13 said:

Gotcha I will do more research then I appreciate it

You can find info of what is needed in this thread 

This one for snap setting

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got approved still got a lot of work to do to better improve my strapping but glad I got basic approval out of the way! Just want to thank everyone for the great advice so far!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, camroc13 said:

Well I got approved still got a lot of work to do to better improve my strapping but glad I got basic approval out of the way! Just want to thank everyone for the great advice so far!

Congratulations and welcome to the ranks trooper

• 3 weeks later...