3D printed R2D2

BAZINGA

For the last couple of weeks YouTube has been popping up with suggested videos of 3D printed R2 units.  Some of them seem quite incredible.

Has anyone here ever attempted a 1:1 print of this complexity?

It's not like I went looking for a 3D printing project however since about 1977 I've wanted R2.  I'd be more into the idea of printing over the traditional building methods.  I'd also be more into the idea of just a random turning dome and lights over moving it around with R/C.

Locally, if you count a 3 hour drive as local, one of our 501st members has a fully functional version he built.  It gets out to a few events.  This could be a back up more for photo ops as well.

I'm just curious as to opinions before I even begin to research it in more depth.

Bart

For the last couple of weeks YouTube has been popping up with suggested videos of 3D printed R2 units.  Some of them seem quite incredible.

Has anyone here ever attempted a 1:1 print of this complexity?

It's not like I went looking for a 3D printing project however since about 1977 I've wanted R2.  I'd be more into the idea of printing over the traditional building methods.  I'd also be more into the idea of just a random turning dome and lights over moving it around with R/C.

Locally, if you count a 3 hour drive as local, one of our 501st members has a fully functional version he built.  It gets out to a few events.  This could be a back up more for photo ops as well.

I'm just curious as to opinions before I even begin to research it in more depth.

Bart

Doable, lots of work and skill required.

You’d probably find more info and help with droid builders groups some links below.

http://astromech.net

https://droidbuilders.info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Some great files by Michael Baddeley on Facebook, you have to join his patreon but it's well worth it for the amount of files you receive

Not an R2 but have done some larger droid builds, latest is an IG-12, 3/4 printed so far.

Battle droid was my first project, all done on 2 x 220mm x 220mm bed printers, that took some time

20200729_080237.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Some great files by Michael Baddeley on Facebook, you have to join his patreon but it's well worth it for the amount of files you receive

Not an R2 but have done some larger droid builds, latest is an IG-12, 3/4 printed so far.

Battle droid was my first project, all done on 2 x 220mm x 220mm bed printers, that took some time

20200729_080237.jpg

I think a 501st member in Saskatoon.  The same guy who has the R2, also did this.  I'd be working with a 300x300x400 bed and single printer.  Lots of forethought will be required before jumping in.  Bart

• Like 1