R1 Thigh Straps - help plz

revlimiter

I've been trying to find THE answer for exactly what a Rogue One TK needs for their thigh strap and I'm coming up short. Help a brother out? I'm usually quite good at ferreting this kind of thing out.

The CRL -

• The thigh armor is mirrored for each leg and not interchangeable.
  • The cover strips are bevelled and approximately 1/8" thick that does not extend beyond the thigh and has a smaller cover strip layered thereon.
  • The top edge of the thigh armor is unadorned, and the bottom edge has a raised detail that fallows the bottom edge contour.
  • The small ammo belt consists of 5 evenly spaced rectangle ammunition boxes and is installed on the bottom of the right thigh, there are no visible screws or rivets.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Thighs are loosely held closed in the back with elastic, shock cord (bungee cord) or white Velcro and are designed to remain flexible.
  • Cover strips will cover both the front and rear joints.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • The bottom outside edges of the small ammunition belt are angled at approximately 45 degrees.
  • Thigh armor is suspended by a black strap approximately 1” 25mm in width with a plastic side release buckle that is covered by black webbing or elastic that runs down the side seam of the leg.

It seems to call for a single strap with a visible (yet covered) buckle on "the side seam of the leg".  But... there's no side seam. The armor is smooth on the side and the pants, I think, should also be unseamed. Also, a single strap on the outside edge of the thigh armor would do a poor job of holding it up well. It would always want to spin.  My own ANH thigh strap is just outboard of the front cover strip by about 10 degrees.

@11b30b4, our lone R1 centurion, has the strap at about 80 degrees from front. Is okay moving forward? And if so, how far forward can I cheat this?

87ciFsu.jpg

Dp6bgra.jpg?1

@equuspolo has a beautiful thigh strap system on his FOTK. Two straps, mostly positioned at the front. One at dead front and one about 15 degrees outboard.

lFmtnET.jpg

I love this as I believe it would allow the maximum maneuverability. Easy sitting too. And less rotation.

large.1369364314_rotkthighshin2.thumb.jp

This is from the archive. While I disagree with the thigh cover strip alignment (that's an argument for another time), it shows one strap past 90 degrees on the right side. It's more like 110 degrees from the front.  There's gotta be another strap in the front, yes?

large.FB_IMG_1654152663948.jpg.b384185c8

large.IMG_5202.JPG.jpg.60078d02a53a48ae1

I don't see one in the front.  How would this even stay oriented correctly after walking 5 steps? Seems odd. I've gotta be missing something.

And that's why I'm asking for help.

From what I've seen most if not all new era use 2 thigh straps and both are on the side of the thighs, both straps also have fabric covers so the pattern of the straps isn't seen. Was discussed in the Remnant thread and there should be an update made to the RO CRL text

mandalorian2x06_1180.jpg

Disregard the green box, was used for another reference but shows two straps, both are have covers.

strap 2.png

You can see 2 in this shot also

Edmc5zz.jpg

201.jpg

celb2.jpg

V91RfHJ.jpg

rem.jpg

As for the position of the rear cover strips I did a lot of research on these, they are glued on the outer of shins and thighs and their position does not change, although the thighs can look offset depending on how far open the thighs are, depending on wearer.

large.1369364314_rotkthighshin2.thumb.jp

an2.thumb.png.6cc1c73b0ab6b4bd8bd74d2ac50a9c0e.png

rotk thigh shin3.jpg

large.4k-swsolo-starwarsscreencaps.com-2065.jpg.68699524c622f0cb9463a0153446795d.jpg.489a92f4775b451ccd9bc999bc2c3c4b.jpg

• Like 1

YES!!!!!!!!!! That double strap thing is something I (am pretty certain I) read and then couldn't remember the exact details. Thank you Glen!!  Front offset + side would be great for action, sitting, and not rotating.  Excellent. That's what I'll replicate.

37 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

As for the position of the rear cover strips I did a lot of research on these, they are glued on the outer of shins and thighs and their position does not change, although the thighs can look offset depending on how far open the thighs are, depending on wearer.

Cover strips glued on the outside edge - check. I also especially like the relief cuts. Much better than the regular Jimmi thigh cuts.

My whole beef with updating the CRL to have the back coverstrips offset is exactly as you mention - how they look offset depending on the wearer. Since many stunt actors wear these costumes, the thighs are different depending on who's inside. I'm sure there's someone who would fit the costume perfectly and have a nicely centered cover strip. Maybe the whole stunt cast that season did their squats and have tree trunks, thus the wide fitment.

But that's my beef. Since we make our armor sets specifically for our bodies, and no one else is likely to be in our armor, there should be no requirement to have the rear thigh cover strips offset. Passable? Sure. Just not a requirement to have them offset. Centered is the ideal fit for the ideal trooper, which is everyone here. Stunt actors don't have that luxury.

Anyways, didn't mean to soapbox. I understand why they're often offset on screen. I just really hope we don't have to emulate that here.

and again, thanks for those photo references!! :wub:

• Like 1

I had these same questions.   I thought about hiding mine behind the drop boxes. Didn't because of access to the clips.  I went with straight down the side...being an 850 AW kit I attached the top to the abdominal. Easy peasy!  Remember to have fun!  Check out all the build threads....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

They use two straps which buckle with parachute buckles.  The straps are covered in the ribbed fabric that matches the rubbing of the undersuit

• Like 1