Shock Cords for Forearms

CountCunning

Hey all,

I'll be getting back to working on my armour over the Easter long weekend and I was wondering what size/kind of shock cord folks have been using to hold their forearms and biceps together. Is this the best option for holding things together on long troops, or are elastic/velcro better options?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Daniel, I don't think anyone has actually submitted or posted a build thread utilizing the proper shock cord and anchor method. I would do some research on the Pathfinders forum to check how people have rigged their MrPaul's shoretrooper pieces, as that system was designed to use them. If you figure it out please post and let us know!

I can't speak to the longevity or troopability, but the proper shock cord size is 1.75mm filament.

https://www.amazon.com/Overture-Filament-Flexible-Consumables-Dimensional/dp/B07VGVW546

This stuff fits the Mr Paul armor. I'm using it in my R1 armor. Got the info from @BigJasoni who's also using it in his R1 armor. :salute:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CountCunning said:

Hey all,

I'll be getting back to working on my armour over the Easter long weekend and I was wondering what size/kind of shock cord folks have been using to hold their forearms and biceps together. Is this the best option for holding things together on long troops, or are elastic/velcro better options?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel,
The "shock cord" used on set was a simple cord made of Framilon. However, if you search the Interweb for Framilon, all you're going to come up with is framilon tape, which is an polyurethane elastic material used in the manufacture of light garments. With that said, Framilon is 100% Thermoplastic Polyurethane, also known as TPU in the 3D printing world. However, if you want to go the "shock cord" route, your armor needs to be set up for it. To my knowledge, this isn't an option on any kits unless you do something custom. Here's a pic of my left shoulder armor with the bicep suspended by the TPU. As you can see, the top of the biceps have the screen accurate "J hooks" and both pieces are equipped with the appropriate mounting points. This armor is from the MrPaulShoretrooperBuild kit and both are SLA printed from a mix of ABS like and Flexible resin.

7C8KXrR.jpg

LZa5sr7.jpg

If you have access to a 3D printer, you can print off the anchor blocks; just shoot me a PM and I'll help you get a hold of some. For the J hooks, you'll just have to cut these yourself. This is the option I had to do with my ICAT driver/ Mudtrooper costume and it works great:

jVfE3Mv.jpg

In my opinion, this is the absolute best way to secure your armor, but unless you do some custom work, you'll likely be better off going with Velcro and elastic. Regardless, the big takeaway here is hanging your bicep armor from the shoulder bells and keeping your biceps flexible. The word "flexible" is used in the CRL to denote how the clam shells move freely, allowing the biceps to open and close as you move. My Muddy biceps for example are one piece and feel like plastic coffins. Having the flexible material holding the biceps closed allows me to flex and move without any fear of breakage or extreme limited mobility. 

If you're not printing anything in TPU, just get yourself a small 1/2 kg. roll, but don't skimp on it. I've used cheap filament in the past and it breaks easily.

I hope this helps

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

Hey Daniel, I don't think anyone has actually submitted or posted a build thread utilizing the proper shock cord and anchor method. I would do some research on the Pathfinders forum to check how people have rigged their MrPaul's shoretrooper pieces, as that system was designed to use them. If you figure it out please post and let us know!

I guess I could have quoted Justin in my previous post. 

My build thread is loooooooooooooong overdue for an update, so I'll make sure to include this in the thread once I get back on it. You will find example of this on the Pathfinders forum, but here's Paul's picture from his own site:

oaukJEd.jpg

This pic even shows the white elastic strapping we've seen pop up on screen a couple times:

w4lJYKv.jpg

Same principle process used on First Order TFA armour construction, so a clear continuation of an effective and basic strapping system.

Upper Bicep

sfbGBT7.jpg

Inside TFA Shoulder Bell

XGbJ2Df.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, BigJasoni said:

I guess I could have quoted Justin in my previous post. 

My build thread is loooooooooooooong overdue for an update, so I'll make sure to include this in the thread once I get back on it. You will find example of this on the Pathfinders forum, but here's Paul's picture from his own site:

First post :) First of all, thanks @BigJasoni for your build thread. It was the inspiration for me to start my own TK armor kit. So basically the TPU allows the "bounce and flexibility and the white strapping is to ensure if the TPU breaks, the armor doesn't fall apart?

The TPU/ Framilon/ Shock Cord is what gives the parts flex. The strapping keeps the shoulder bell from flopping around too much, but can also support the bicep if the cordage breaks.

• Like 1