New Denuo Novo ANH OT Stormtrooper Helmet

gTGLteB.jpgQhIEMQ6.jpg

4pAi1GT.jpgzf8rxtQ.jpg

zq5O2Xy.jpgwqzgt58.jpg

HCyQGhG.jpg

Props to Karli C., TK-52757 for allowing me to take a few photos of her recently arrived Denuo Novo helmet today! Figured folks may want to see, and I haven't seen anyone post them yet...

Edited by TheRascalKing

So is it approvable...? I'd love input from the @Deployment Officer Team, but at Basic, I'd say yes - just as the previous Anovos OT offering was, and that the mic tips would need to be replaced for EIB at a minimum, then additional small notes as below for Centurion.

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Helmet
  • ✔ Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray.
  • ✔ Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.
  • ✔ Lenses are flat material, green in color, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.
  • ✔ The “ear” bars have three or four bumps and are gray or painted gray, with a black outline. Painting the bumps with rank stripes (highlighted) in black is optional.
  • ✔ Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. A total of 8 cut outs in the teeth area of the frown are present.
  • ✔ Tube stripes are medium blue, numbering between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.
  • ✔ Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black.
  • ✔ Aerators/Hovi-MIX tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black or painted black.
  • ✔ Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted.
  • ✔ Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.
  • ✔ Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.
    • ✔ Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • ✔? Ears shall have three screws per side, one above and one below the ear bar and one at the base of the helmet.
  • Ear bars have four bumps only.
    • Not three.
  • Traps/tears and tube stripes shall have the correct ANH TK details.
  • Ideally, the tube stripes are positioned approximately a pencil width from the side of the cheek.
  • Fall of tube stripe tops ideally lean toward the front.
  •  Correct Aerators/Hovi-MIX tips are present. Screens used shall be of a wide type mesh, with the rim of the mic and the inside white or painted white.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Ear bars shall have only one bump painted in black (rank stripes).
  •  Ideally, placement of ears (and screws) should closely follow the rear angle of the trap above them
  • Neck trim shall be of an s-type profile rather than a u-type profile.
  • Tears/traps shall be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details).
  • ✔? Ear screws shall be slotted, flat topped, countersunk and painted white.
  • The vocoder must be integrated into the helmet, and not a separate piece.

Other Notes

Vocoder would likely need repaint to better define the arches on each "tube".

YT4fe0C.jpg

Frown would likely need repaint to extend paint to last tooth before the end "V", but no longer leaves the teeth into the gums like previous Anovos offerings.

5j6PLvR.jpg

Mic tips would need the interior and lip painted white, though the mesh has been corrected from previous Anovos offerings.

uTxKNQG.jpg

The third, bottom ear screw is not visible and is covered by the neck trim on both sides. It is unknown at this time if it is also a slotted, countersunk screw, but assumed as the trim lays flush. The trim is super glued in place and I was not able to peel it back to check.

so9Pkcy.jpg

The ear screws do not follow the rear angle of the trap above them (but I think this is a dumb rule anyways, personally).

Though not noted in the CRL, the brow trim may need to be replaced with one without extrusion marks.

brow.png.ff0df06234c506d85593e59bc5178590.png

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 4

bugs-bunny-twitchy.gif

New addition to the CRL's perhaps:

Brow trim should not contain visible lines

brow.png.ff0df06234c506d85593e59bc5178590.png

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, TheRascalKing said:

So is it approvable...? I'd love input from the @Deployment Officer Team, but at Basic, I'd say yes - just as the previous Anovos OT offering was, and that the mic tips would need to be replaced for EIB at a minimum, then additional small notes as below.

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Helmet
  • ✔ Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) are gray.
  • ✔ Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.
  • ✔ Lenses are flat material, green in color, sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.
  • ✔ The “ear” bars have three or four bumps and are gray or painted gray, with a black outline. Painting the bumps with rank stripes (highlighted) in black is optional.
  • ✔ Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. A total of 8 cut outs in the teeth area of the frown are present.
  • ✔ Tube stripes are medium blue, numbering between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.
  • ✔ Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is painted black.
  • ✔ Aerators/Hovi-MIX tips (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black or painted black.
  • ✔ Tears, traps, and tube stripes may be hand painted, decals, or decals that replicate hand painted.
  • ✔ Mesh may be used behind the frown to obscure the face of the wearer.
  • ✔ Note: The helmet is accurate in detail and proportion to official references.
    • ✔ Many commercially available helmets or those considered disproportionate in size or shape are ineligible.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • ✔? Ears shall have three screws per side, one above and one below the ear bar and one at the base of the helmet.
  • Ear bars have four bumps only.
    • Not three.
  • Traps/tears and tube stripes shall have the correct ANH TK details.
  • Ideally, the tube stripes are positioned approximately a pencil width from the side of the cheek.
  • Fall of tube stripe tops ideally lean toward the front.
  •  Correct Aerators/Hovi-MIX tips are present. Screens used shall be of a wide type mesh, with the rim of the mic and the inside white or painted white.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Ear bars shall have only one bump painted in black (rank stripes).
  •  Ideally, placement of ears (and screws) should closely follow the rear angle of the trap above them
  • Neck trim shall be of an s-type profile rather than a u-type profile.
  • Tears/traps shall be hand painted or use decals that emulate hand painted (with correct ANH TK details).
  • ✔? Ear screws shall be slotted, flat topped, countersunk and painted white.
  • The vocoder must be integrated into the helmet, and not a separate piece.

Vocoder would likely need repaint to better define arches on each "tube".

Frown would likely need repaint to extend paint to last tooth before the end "V".

Mic tips would need the interior and lip painted white, though the mesh has been corrected from previous Anovos offerings.

The third, bottom ear screw is not visible and is covered by the neck trim on both sides. It is unknown at this time if it is also a slotted, countersunk screw, but assumed as the trim lays flush. The trim is super glued in place and I was not able to peel it back to check.

The ear screws does not follow the rear angle of the trap above them (but I think this is a dumb rule anyways, personally).

Hi Justin,

As you rightly noted , the helmet could be  approvable for Basic Level (this is up to the GML) and the items  you marked for EIB and Centurion are correct. Regarding the 3rd,  bottom ear screw, this is the first time we read that  the trim is super glued that you can't see the screw type. This issue will probably have to be corrected before applying for Higher levels.

The ear screws alignment (following the rear angle would be ideally preferred) is noted as a suggestion.

As a side note: The brow trim lines make it to  look rough , this not in stated in the crl (not yet) but could be just mentioned by the D.O. making a review.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Deployment Officer Team said:

As you rightly noted , the helmet could be  approvable for Basic Level (this is up to the GML) and the items  you marked for EIB and Centurion are correct. Regarding the 3rd,  bottom ear screw, this is the first time we read that  the trim is super glued that you can't see the screw type. This issue will probably have to be corrected before applying for Higher levels.

The ear screws alignment (following the rear angle would be ideally preferred) is noted as a suggestion.

Super, I appreciate that confirmation.

This is the first time I've seen one of these "new" helmets as well, but I wasn't particularly surprised - Anovos used to dab a little CA glue on their neck seal trim back in the day as well, but this was pretty firmly glued in place. It could probably be thrown in a (large) freezer and popped off, but it wasn't my helmet and I didn't want to damage it.

so9Pkcy.jpg

Curious if anyone else will be able to validate the ear screw type in the near future, as the helmets are now showing as in stock and shipping on the Denuo Novo website, which has held true for all other products thusfar.

7KjrROo.jpg

The trooper who owns the above one bought it on March 12th and it arrived on March 15th to Southern California, if that knowledge helps - that's shockingly fast.

18 hours ago, Deployment Officer Team said:

As a side note: The brow trim lines make it too look rough , this not in stated in the crl (not yet) but could be just mentioned by the D.O. making a review.

Totally - could be a desirable upgrade at higher levels, and I'm uncertain why they went with a brow trim with visible extrusion marks. Easy to replace though, and instead of hyperfocusing on one silly flaw in a negative post, I choose to share my excitement (and first photos) with the Detachment - as a new, high quality, licensed OT Stormtrooper helmet offering is good news for everyone in our hobby. Especially as the original Anovos have become rare and expensive (when you can find them on eBay), this could be a huge help to many troopers with original Anovos kits, and hopefully heralds the second coming of licensed OTTK ARMOR as well from a quality maker. 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

Justin, 

Good eye on the items that will need to be adjusted for the higher levels. I have a Anovos helmet and most of the things you mention were on my list of adjustments needed, especially for higher approvals as well. It looks like they've made an effort to do a better job on painting the frown and keeping it off the gums.

I really like my Anovos helmet and the kit. I just wish the ABS they used was a tad thicker and more resilient.

Edited by Hesikaya
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hesikaya said:

Good eye on the items that will need to be adjusted for the higher levels. I have a Anovos helmet and most of the things you mention were on my list of adjustments needed, especially for higher approvals as well. It looks like they've made an effort to do a better job on painting the frown and keeping it off the gums.

I really like my Anovos helmet and the kit. I just wish the ABS they used was a tad thicker and more resilient.

Agreed! I am uncertain of the lineage, but I would suspect that it's either the same molds as Anovos utilized, or at least the same files used to create them. The ears in particular are... unique (TOO sharp?). 

I'd say overall that it's EXTREMELY similar to the old Anovos offerings, but that the assembly quality is like 2% better, as noted. The thickness was about the same as the early Anovos (before the generation that had the Lucasfilm copyright stickers on the inside) and is in the middle/pretty average across the manymany helmets I've worked with. Not thick like AM, but not paper thin like some.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Chemi said:

@TheRascalKingI have a photo of the screw area.I think this is another point to improve...:blush:

IMG_20230410_095631.thumb.jpg.366b142867a588e792f36c10a461466b.jpg

Shoddy, inconsistent placement of the ear screws - just like the originals, check! haha

The glue residue is unfortunate, but at least it's slotted and countersunk. Would probably be best to redrill and move it above the neckseal trim line for those who are going for higher levels. Interesting, thank you for providing! 

• Like 2

Seems in efforts to have supply Denuo Novo is not as accurate in quality these days. I’ve noticed with a few officer submissions we’ve had that there’s clear items that cannot be approved. That’s too bad considering they sell most products as is now and not so many kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk