First build!

N0SweatBobaFett

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, just watch any areas that stick out past the armor as they can catch, especially on the shoulders

RdtdrR4.thumb.jpg.26f1bb4529781c55451910cf76dc7e9c.jpg

Thanks!  Will do!  I had a feeling that part would be a pain in the armpit.  I should be able to trim it right off

• Like 1

Running into a bit of an issue with the bicep cover strips.  The ends seem to be popping up a very little when I’m removing the excess glue.  But just on the covers trips on the bottom of the bicep.  On this one the cover strip seems to be pretty flush with the bottom of the bicep, but should I put my cover strips further from the edge?  

6gRjhpE.jpg

Did you rough both the surfaces with coarse sandpaper first, that usually helps the E6000 to grip to, also for any areas under any strain leave clamped for 48 to 72 hours.

Personally I'd lift it, add a little more glue and clamp again.

BUT in saying that I doubt your GML would see it and you could be ok to troop with it as long as it doesn't catch on your shoulder bells when moving.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Did you rough both the surfaces with coarse sandpaper first, that usually helps the E6000 to grip to, also for any areas under any strain leave clamped for 48 to 72 hours.

Personally I'd lift it, add a little more glue and clamp again.

BUT in saying that I doubt your GML would see it and you could be ok to troop with it as long as it doesn't catch on your shoulder bells when moving.

Gotcha!  I waited a little

more than 24 hours and that may be why.  I’ll make sure to let it dry for longer with the clamps and magnets still on.  Thanks!  

• Like 2

Trimmed all the raised edges to about 7.5mm on each side to accommodate for the 15mm cover strip.  Should all the trimming I do to be from the other side of the forearm?  So that the flat part stays the width of the cover strip?  Thanks!  

baOL13q.jpg

CwF4vYi.jpg

The coverstrips can stop short of the raised sections

gallery_12157_59_161393.jpg

Tops of thighs and shins had quite a large gap 

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

gallery_12157_59_36077.jpg

For the higher levels you will need to remove all the return edge from the front of the forearms

46QS6rq.jpg?1  qLdE09B.jpg?1  qLQeJku.jpg?1  fhmsrv4.jpg?1

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Gotcha!  Will do!  Is a little return edge fine on the back?  

Return edge on the back is fine

• Like 1

Ran into a bit of a weird issue.  The clamps I used had red tips and there was some sort of a reaction between them and the e6000.  It ended up leaving some red staining on the armor and I’ve had trouble removing it.  At tips for this sort of thing?   

gIT4QqV.jpg

You could try automotive compound polish, courser than regular polish. Other than that perhaps a light sand with ultrafine sandpaper and then polish to bring back the shine. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You could try automotive compound polish, courser than regular polish. Other than that perhaps a light sand with ultrafine sandpaper and then polish to bring back the shine. 

Awesome!  I’ll make sure to give that a try if it continues to be stubborn.  So far for removing excess e6000 I’ve been using an angled piece of extra abs to peel some of it back as well as rubbing the smaller bits off with my thumb.  Any tips for removing extra glue?  I’m definitely learning to gauge how much is enough but not too much, that way there’s less to remove after   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Awesome!  I’ll make sure to give that a try if it continues to be stubborn.  So far for removing excess e6000 I’ve been using an angled piece of extra abs to peel some of it back as well as rubbing the smaller bits off with my thumb.  Any tips for removing extra glue?  I’m definitely learning to gauge how much is enough but not too much, that way there’s less to remove after   

Pretty much the same as I do, just cut the scrap abs when it gets a little dull. A wet rage worked well for me. Like anything you learn with doing and we all go through it ;) 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Pretty much the same as I do, just cut the scrap abs when it gets a little dull. A wet rage worked well for me. Like anything you learn with doing and we all go through it ;) 

Nice!  I’ll make sure to try the wet rag tip.   Thanks for the help!  Can’t wait to keep building!

• Like 2

Also did some test fitting of the right bicep and forearm.  It seems to all fit pretty well.  The bicep does touch the forearm when I bend my arm, and I can bend my arm a little more than 90 degrees with both armor pieces on.  Will definitely trim a little more off the forearms and might cut off some near the elbow for better mobility.  

j9qEOKO.jpg

mLSjNND.jpg

0hwrGva.jpg

nwpTJpT.jpg

8ksOvYC.jpg

30 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Finished shoulder bells.  Should I remove all return edges from the bottom?  

ibGzycA.jpg

Entirely up to you, really depends how they sit over your biceps, some trim completely so it allows the shoulder to come inwards a little more

gallery_12157_15_43188.jpg

• Like 1

hace 1 hora, N0SweatBobaFett dijo:

Finished shoulder bells.  Should I remove all return edges from the bottom?  

Well, as Glen rightly says, it's up to you. You can wait until you have the rest of the pieces and see how it looks. You can trim it then.(if necessary.;))

• Like 2