First build!

N0SweatBobaFett

Hey guys!  I’m working on my first build and had a quick question about technique for one thing.  I’m in the process of trimming the helmet eyes and teeth and I think I have most of it done but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for the last 4th tooth on each side.  The really tiny one that you’re supposed to trim haha.  Any tips will help!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Hey guys!  I’m working on my first build and had a quick question about technique for one thing.  I’m in the process of trimming the helmet eyes and teeth and I think I have most of it done but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for the last 4th tooth on each side.  The really tiny one that you’re supposed to trim haha.  Any tips will help!

Hi Brendan, You could use a fine needle file . Tape around the mouth to prevent scratches. 

this video could be useful

Small drill bits and files is what I used.

A couple of references of screen teeth

sml_gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg  sml_gallery_12157_36_77206.jpg

Usually I start any small areas with a small drill bit and create (if possible) two or more connect the dot drilling areas a bit inside of where the actual edges of the openings should be. (Example being red dots)

Next I get a needle file, usually starting with a round one and I “connect the dots so to say. (Example being yellow lines) 4549d91065af8c30be03a8d241585b87.jpg
This will then open up a small hole area for you to do the progressive needle file work. I will switch to a flat edge or rectangular one when I approach sharp edges to give them that sharp angle and not a curved angle.

It’s a bit of manual labor and may make your arm hurt, but at the least it’s plastic in small areas and not a nightmare of a fiberglass/resin helmet with large areas.

Also note if you feel you are pushing too hard with the drill and don’t want to damage anything you can start drilling in reverse to make the initial drill entry and then turn it forward to drill through. I’ve never had issues with drilling through plastic, but just be mindful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 3/12/2023 at 12:19 AM, FN1313 said:

Usually I start any small areas with a small drill bit and create (if possible) two or more connect the dot drilling areas a bit inside of where the actual edges of the openings should be. (Example being red dots)

Next I get a needle file, usually starting with a round one and I “connect the dots so to say. (Example being yellow lines) 4549d91065af8c30be03a8d241585b87.jpg
This will then open up a small hole area for you to do the progressive needle file work. I will switch to a flat edge or rectangular one when I approach sharp edges to give them that sharp angle and not a curved angle.

It’s a bit of manual labor and may make your arm hurt, but at the least it’s plastic in small areas and not a nightmare of a fiberglass/resin helmet with large areas.

Also note if you feel you are pushing too hard with the drill and don’t want to damage anything you can start drilling in reverse to make the initial drill entry and then turn it forward to drill through. I’ve never had issues with drilling through plastic, but just be mindful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much!!!  I really appreciate it! The needle file should definitely help!  I just picked a set up today.  

• Like 1

It's best to take off a bit at a time until you reach the desired size/shape of the eyes and teeth.  When in doubt, post up a few photos and we can help get you exactly where you need to be!

• 1 month later...

Hello all!  Thanks for the help!  I ended up finishing the helmet and am on to the biceps.  I’m one of those troopers with a smaller bicep and have been making marks when  sizing and am realizing I may have to take quite a bit off to get the right fit.  I was just wondering if I should trim completely on the outside of the bicep or is it okay to trim a bit in the inside so not as much gets taken off of the outside half?

Your tube stripes don't appear to have the correct fall at the front, notice the lean from top to bottom

From the CRL for L2: 

• Fall of tube stripe tops ideally lean toward the front.

CGlzasA.jpeg

d74536222dc27fedd5fed3b46982c70d.jpg

a75b8a066f57c1b745a6083884119cde.jpg

I will also move this thread to the ANH build area as it does not belong here in Forum Help & Support

32 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Hello all!  Thanks for the help!  I ended up finishing the helmet and am on to the biceps.  I’m one of those troopers with a smaller bicep and have been making marks when  sizing and am realizing I may have to take quite a bit off to get the right fit.  I was just wondering if I should trim completely on the outside of the bicep or is it okay to trim a bit in the inside so not as much gets taken off of the outside half?

You should trim from either side so the cover strip is central. I have small arms and needed to add foam to the insides, you don't want to trim too small as you may look out of proportion with the rest of the armor on.

Also use the "direct link" or right click copy paste when using Imgur so the images show in your thread.

OMImhFv.jpeg

gallery_12157_59_157947.jpg

You can find a whole gallery of images for references of sizing and placement 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Your tube stripes don't appear to have the correct fall at the front, notice the lean from top to bottom

From the CRL for L2: 

• Fall of tube stripe tops ideally lean toward the front.

CGlzasA.jpeg

d74536222dc27fedd5fed3b46982c70d.jpg

a75b8a066f57c1b745a6083884119cde.jpg

I will also move this thread to the ANH build area as it does not belong here in Forum Help & Support

Awesome!  Thank you so much for helping me navigate the forums!  I got the tube stripe decals from Trooper Bay and they were super easy to use but seem pretty symmetrical, would this be a problem form approval?  

https://imgur.com/a/wtBOSeR

sorry having issues attaching the photos, I am going to try to see if I can the upload them.  Thanks!

I got my foam from Joanne's fabric. Some 1/2" & 1". Some spots needed a thin strip. Some needed a little thicker. I use double sided tape to make changing out easier.

Good Luck Future Trooper :duim:

• Like 1

I use soft yellow foam from haberdashery store, I glued velcro to both the sponge and armor so I can remove for washing for those really sweaty troopers, you'd be amazed how much sweat can gather in the armor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magni said:

I got my foam from Joanne's fabric. Some 1/2" & 1". Some spots needed a thin strip. Some needed a little thicker. I use double sided tape to make changing out easier.

Good Luck Future Trooper :duim:

Thank you!  I just picked some up!  I’ll make sure to size with the foam in to get the right fit!  

I cut about 1.5 cm off of each side of the outside half of the bicep.  I then inserted one strip on each side of the inside of the bicep.  It seems to fit pretty snug!  Would this method be a good idea, or should I line the entire inside of the bicep with the foam?  Thank you!

2HytAcR.jpgOJoatUG.jpg

4cb5Ali.jpg

0334g1t.jpg

hace 1 hora, N0SweatBobaFett dijo:

I cut about 1.5 cm off of each side of the outside half of the bicep.  I then inserted one strip on each side of the inside of the bicep.  It seems to fit pretty snug!  Would this method be a good idea, or should I line the entire inside of the bicep with the foam?  Thank you!

Try this way... Unless you are from a glacial area, I do not recommend lining the entire inside with foam.:laugh1:

3 minutes ago, N0SweatBobaFett said:

Gotcha!  I had a feeling doing it in strips of foam would be the way to go!  

I use blocks about 1" x 2"to 3", you don't need much to help lock them on.

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I use blocks about 1" x 2"to 3", you don't need much to help lock them on.

Awesome!  This is the way!  It seemed to fit pretty well with foam strips of the size you just mentioned.  It also looks like I dont have to trim any more of the armor once the foam is inserted as it fits pretty well.  Excited to get both the biceps ready to be glued with cover strips! 

• Like 3

Trimmed the bicep just a little more and test fitted with foam and it’s nice and snug!  Cut out one of the cover strips (15mm) and cut the edges.  Here are some pics.  Once I’m ready to glue, I should sand a little where the strip is supposed to go to add adhesion right?  Also I only have 6 rare earth magnets as of now and more will be coming in the mail soon.  The ones I have now are 3/4 inch by 1/8 inch.  I just have to tape around them and wrap them in cloth.  If I use clamps on the sides of the cover strips and 3 magnets in the middle should that be enough to glue (using E6000).  Thanks!

5nfm9cg.jpg

tYB5uIE.jpg

Y4hFSRV.jpg