Fiberglass First Order Stormtrooper - New Build-Paint

I bought a fiberglass first order stormtrooper suit from Jim Tripon. We were wanting someone to paint it. Is airbrush acceptable? What color of white for airbrushing would you choose? We are in the Portland, Oregon area - any suggestions on people you have used that would paint this? Thank you for your help.

4C1F739B-E981-4659-8F79-D7B222D7EFC1.jpeg

Hi welcome to FISD.

I am sure you could air brush it, but really you're going to want something bigger.  Spray cans are a perfectly acceptable option and can give great results with some care.

Before painting do make sure you prepare the surface, a couple of people in my garrison had issues with pin holes that needed to be filled.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard, I sprayed my armor with automotive acrylic paint by rattle cans, I guess you could use an airbrush but it would take you some time to cover all the armor.

I was lucky the base white from automotive shop was the same shade as helmets from Anovos. I prefer automotive acrylic as it dries quickly, you can finish with a few gloss coats to protect and if you have any runs you can sand and polish.

fMNcI8M.jpg

Here is what others have used (thanks to @ukswrath)

68dd9cd3b06369d9e21322e39d6ee6e6.jpg

One of many threads on paint

• Like 2

Hello and welcome.

When I built my kit like others have said I used rattle can paint, however I did not know as much about true automotive quality paint and what wonders it does compared to “close enough paint”

So definitely focus on the information they’ve provided.

First you will need to prepare the surface…a lot, at first you don’t always see the blemishes, then as you prime they pop out, then you fill and prime again, and see more. So just know that’s going to be a process, but well worth the effort. Another thing you can use to help is Bondo spot filler putty. It’s not as heavy duty or strong as straight bondo, but it’s purpose is specifically to fill small little blemishes just like those on this armor kit.

Next as mentioned do high quality automotive paint. The shine and quality is leagues better than anything you find just on shelves at most local stored. I also highly recommend a good automotive quality polyurethane clear coat, otherwise known as a 2k gloss clear coat. Not only does it add to the luster of a shiny TK, but the protection is so necessary for an armor like this. It will help in those areas (biceps against ribs, chest against abdomen, thunder thighs) so they aren’t rubbing paint off and forcing you to sand and remain between every troop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk