Jonathan's ANH TK Build

JSchmit

Hi, everyone! This will be a day long remembered...BBB day! After years of contemplating and months of waiting, I finally received my armor kit, thanks to Dave from Dave's Darkside Depot. Next, assembly. I know this will be a long process, so I'm starting a thread to document the build. Based off the research I've done, it seems that the typically recommended starting point is the biceps or forearms, so that may be my jumping off point. Any additional advice, resources, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all, and I'm excited to enlist in the Empire!

Edited by JSchmit
  • Like 1

Good luck with the build.  Hope to see you join the ranks soon.  Couple of tips.  Mark before you cut, and post your marks before you cut.  These guys are awesome with speedy replies saying yes or no that your marks looks good or not.  Remember, cut less, you can always cut more but can't add it back.  

• Like 2

Try using the "direct link" option and your images should show in your post

XL1xAqy.jpeg

Or have a read through this thread on how to add images

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JSchmit said:

I tried to copy the permalink and embed the URL into the post, but the website wouldn't accept it. I was attempt this through my mobile app. Is the direct link feature only available on desktop?

Hello Jonathan! What a sweet sweet name you have! 

On mobile, I long press the image //// choose "open in a new window" //// then copy the url from the browser. On desktop it is very easy, just "copy image address"!

Looking forward to your progress and congrats on the kit!

XdT1UMg.jpg

As I alluded to in my previous post, I decided to start with the bicep pieces. I went ahead and worked with the the left bicep, as evidenced by the thumb imprint. To this point, I have not done any trimming on either bicep piece. After researching, it appears that the consensus is to trim the return edges completely and sand the edges. (I just wanted to verify that that was the case, and confirm with sandpaper grit to use in sanding.)

4aJlEdN.jpgsyTp7fC.jpg

The above images are the bicep pieces as they currently are. I also went ahead and roughly fit and taped them together, which is the last picture in this post. I know that I'll want to wait until the return edges have been trimmed before I size anything permanently, but I was just hoping to get an idea as to how to best size them to fit my bicep (how tight should the piece be at both the top and bottom, where on the bicep does the piece rest, etc.)uZXXNpP.jpg

Congrats on your BBB Day, Jonathan! It’s great to see some of your photos! As for the fitment and return edge drumming on your biceps, there are a couple things to keep in mind. The tops of your bicep pieces will never be visible since they’ll be hidden beneath your shoulder bells. This means that, for your comfort, you can remove those too return edges completely—that is, unless you have skinnier arms and need the depth of the return edges to help keep the armor centered on your arm. The same is mostly true about the bottom bicep return edge, but since they are sometimes visible from certain angles, I personally kept a small amount of return edge to give the armor a thicker look.

I might recommend that you also rough trim/fit your forearm pieces at the same time as the biceps, then tape them up and take photos of you wearing them together. Post the images on here and then we can help give you feedback on the proportions of those two sections together.

A reminder, too, that when trimming the two halves of the biceps (or really any piece), you want the seam to be evenly spaced between the raised ridges.

One of my favorite resource builds is actually A.J.’s, which I’ve linked to below. His is also an AM kit, so I think you’ll find it quite helpful!

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/40831-ajs-of-am-20-build/

• Like 1

Congrats on your BBB day, Jonathan!  Here is a copy of a post I just made this morning on another AM build thread which you may find useful:

I know you aren't quite at that point yet, but I wanted to give you a heads-up on something..  The ABS that Dave uses has a UV resistant layer on the outside, meaning that the chances of it yellowing are next to zero (I have a set that is going on 8 years with no discoloration).  The reason I bring this up is because it can affect your cover strips.  

Note that one side will have a smooth, glossy finish and the other has a similar but ever-so slightly scuffed finish (hold it up next to a light to see the surface).  The shiny side is the one with the UV protective layer and should face outward, so keep this in mind when sizing/gluing. ;)

As I type this, I'm trying to work up the confidence to begin trimming the return edges from my biceps. For a first time armorer, this is definitely an adjustment! And that sounds like a good plan of action to me! I can go ahead and begin to trim the forearm pieces as well in order to gauge them in unison with the bicep pieces. However, I do have a few questions on the forearms. In the pictures below, you can see that the forearm pieces definitely aren't quite symmetrical. In researching other troopers' builds, it seems like this isn't an uncommon issue. I'm wondering what the consensus is in regards to the best course of action with these pieces. The upper forearm pieces aren't quite the same rounded shape at the wrist. The forearm pieces have the same issue at the wrist, and one piece has a much more significant slope at the end, whereas the other pice is more vertical. I'm wondering if the pieces are asymmetrical enough to warrant hot water molding, or if they are ok as they are. I hope the images below depict what I am trying to illustrate:stUxI61.jpgqbNebjM.jpg5aaD6bX.jpg

Additionally, one more question in regards to the forearms, and I hope it isn't redundant. In researching, I know that you can tell the right and left forearms apart by gauging the curvature of the pieces from the peak. I know that the harder edge faces inward on each piece. Do the inner forearm pieces have a similar distinguishing feature to determine which is left and right, or are they interchangeable? 

For truly lineage kits, both the inner and outer forearm pieces are unique. However, some armor makers (such as AP) standardize and make all the arm pieces identical. Here is an image that I clipped from Panda’s build on MEPD which shows TE-derived armor pieces. Dave’s AM armor may not be identical, but there certainly may be some similarities.

Screenshot (52)

I was able to find a video on Dave's YouTube page that elaborated that the under forearm piece with the pronounced slope at the elbow is the right arm, and the one that has a more flat elbow is the left. For the upper pieces, he noted that the right forearm piece has 12 indents, and the left piece has 11. With that in mind, I feel good about the pieces matching up. I'll get to work on trimming the return edges from the forearm pieces and doing a rough fitting. I was able to trim return edges and rough fit the biceps as well, so when I'm done with the firearms I'll post a picture of both for your guys' feedback. Thanks!

So I took MaskedVengeance's advice and worked on the forearms in conjunction with the biceps. I spent a good portion of last night and this afternoon trimming the return edges off per the CRL and other trooper's advice. I went ahead and also did a rough fitting with my undersuit and gloves on. All four of the pieces feel comfortable; however, I have yet to trim down the left forearm piece at the elbow to match the right one for added mobility I was hoping to get your guys' input as to whether or not that is recommended. Please see the pictures below:

Left Bicep/Forearm

B9U2rOp.jpgGIIiWWo.jpgOoAsLba.jpg

Right Bicep/ForearmcUm3q6p.jpgrLZcN8W.jpgnrhSPnZ.jpg 

In addition, I wanted to bring attention to something I alluded to in a previous post. The forearm pieces are not symmetrical, as the left hand piece is slightly more vertical and oblong than the right hand piece. Both feel comfortable on their respective arms, so I'm hoping hot water molding won't be necessary. Q2u02Dt.jpg 

If anyone has any questions my progress so far or feedback on the pieces as they are currently set, you may fire when ready!

I am not sure if I am correct with this statement, so please someone correct me if it is wrong.

with respect to the ridges along the forearm (the “ladder like” area). I feel that those should line up more with your elbow than the top of your forearm.  That way, the curve on the opposite side fits better into the inner aspect of your elbow when you bend your arm.  Looking through screen references, some do seem to have the “ladder area” along the top of the arm, but I suspect they twist when moving about.  

On your right forearm shot, you can see the curve is not in the area or line where your elbow will bend, which may be uncomfortable.  

you can see in the photo below, the inner and outer aspects of both forearms. 

0gyBhg0.jpg

I went ahead and made some adjustments to the forearms based off of Doggydoc's information about the forearm placement. The updated pictures are below:

Right Forearm/Bicep:zN7no9h.jpg

EIHsW3J.jpg

Left Forearm/Bicep:

KUcz5y9.jpg

ogC0g1O.jpg

Readjusting the forearm pieces definitely made the right forearm more oblong in relation to the right piece, although both still feel comfortable. Also, I didn't have assistance in taking pictures this evening, so I did the best I could to get good perspective of each piece. Let me know if you need pictures at different angles.IRb6NOF.jpg

5 minutes ago, JSchmit said:

Thank you! That video was very helpful. Does anyone else have any feedback on my bicep and forearm pieces? I just wanted to verify before I proceed with marking my final cuts.

They look good to me. It would be great If you can post a photo when you have made the marks before cutting . just in case. :salute: