Rogue One Stormtrooper Costumes - Fan Made?

Sithcollector

Hi all,

Delighted to be here, newbie, been reading through various threads and some VERY knowledgeable people here.

I collect original screen used and production pieces, and have acquired a screen used Rogue One Stormtrooper costume and am looking to answer one simple question.

Were any of the costumes used in Rogue One fan made?  I can't seem to find the answer.  I know some were in The Mandalorian, but unsure about Rogue One.

Any help from you good people would be much appreciated!

Thx,

AB

Welcome to FISD AB

To my knowledge, all the TK's in R1 were production made, with parts from resin and urethane materials, as opposed to the standard ABS used on original trilogy armour.

To my knowledge and research, all of the TK costumes in Rogue One were the new generation suits. No alternative costumes were used anywhere in the movie.

There's screenshot websites that you can peruse to do your own research. I'm a fan of cap-that for this kind of thing. They have just about every Star Wars show ever... possibly all. Including R1.

https://www.cap-that.com/starwars/rogue-one/

However, hundreds of troopers over the years have scrutinized the movie in search of hidden suit details. That was necessary to create the Rogue One suits that we now can order. To my knowledge, no one ever found any evidence of original trilogy (OTTK) suits used on Rogue One. The studio was quite proud of the new suit and how crisp the details were. How they looked "right" in HD compared to the wonky looking OT suits. I don't believe any other suits were ever used on stunt actors or in background scenes. They had a movie budget and they spent movie money on the new suits. No fans were called in for background filming.

I would be amazed to hear how a production Rogue One suit made it out into the wild, as I am not aware of this happening before. Would love to see pics of what you were sold.

No fan-made suits were used in Rogue One to my collective knowledge as well. While there was variation across the suits for comfort and stunt purposes, I'll echo that they were all production made. There have been at least 3-4 "runs" of suits at this point, with the actual Rogue One suits last being used in the first season of Mando to my knowledge. 

Hello and welcome aboard, perhaps post some images so we can give you better feedback on our costume.

Our forum doesn't allow many photos so many of us use a free online images host such as Imgur, great how to here

Thanks guys, so good to have your input.

So this is the costume.  Its been sold by Ewbanks through the Entertainment and Memorabilia Auction.

https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/20230224M2-lot-4277-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-2016-Original-Stormtrooper-suit?view=lot_detail&auction_id=797

Would love to hear some thoughts on it as I'm concerned. 

AB

Is there any evidence with the sale that proves the provenance? 

As we’ve said we don’t believe there was any non-production suits used. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t just we’re not aware of any. Also it’s unusual for production assets to escape these days, LFL/Disney keeps hold of things. 

Our pleasure to assist where we can AB

8 minutes ago, Sithcollector said:

Thanks guys, so good to have your input.

So this is the costume.  Its been sold by Ewbanks through the Entertainment and Memorabilia Auction.

https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/20230224M2-lot-4277-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story-2016-Original-Stormtrooper-suit?view=lot_detail&auction_id=797

Would love to hear some thoughts on it as I'm concerned. 

AB

Our pleasure to assist where we can AB.

I believe you have every reason to be concerned, R1 team where very proud of how they evolved the new gen style kit specially to meet the needs of high definition filmography.

I am reasonably positive we would have found information by now if there were old school TK kits used, as even behind the scenes imagery shows crew in New gen style kit.

They have quite distinctive elements that set them apart easily when you can look at them side by side.

As Chris mentions, provenance is always a good indicator of legitimate items when it comes to movie props, so if they can supply any, it gives us another step off point to further investigate.

I will add that maybe just maybe it could have been someone in the background, or even in a scene that was deleted so ended up on the cutting room floor, but Shepperton Design had nothing to do with the new armour, and AA is a dubious individual as well. Lost a court case on his claims in the US courts, but somehow managed to weasel out of it in the UK.

Not a vendor we recommend or promote as his armour isn't as accurate as others available.

Thanks again for your input.  I'm gathering up information on provenance side, and will report back ASAP.

As for the costume itself, the vendor is quite clear in stating that the helmet is NOT a production used one, nor is the blaster.  They were retained by the production crew.

BTW, there is a LOT of original production pieces out there in private collections.  A lot does get out ;-)

I'll keep all posted.  Really appreciate everyone's input!

• Like 1

So, an update from Ewbanks;

I have messaged the vendor. He is happy for me to provide his name. Wayne Terry. He is listed on IMDB.

This is what he told me

As far as I’m aware it was in a large wooden box at elstree studios whilst I was writing a Star Wars script called The Starman and I was wondering round one of the studios and noticed the armour in the box with some metal piping on top of it. I asked one of the studio hands where the armour was from and that’s when he told me “he believes it was used during the filming of Rogue One in London around 2015. 

I wonder if it might be this kit having searched that name on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7196975/mediaviewer/rm3259954689/

The key phrase in that quote is "he believes", it is not the most convincing statement.  Without clear proof we will only have their word on if this was screen used or not.

Either way I hope you enjoy the suit.

"It was in a (fan) film called The Rogue Stormtrooper."

"Do you mean Rogue One?"

"Uhhhh... yes."

7RgAzjC.jpg

:duim:

Whole thing sounds mighty suspicious and I hope whoever bought it received significantly better provenance than I've heard so far. If anyone has screen caps or BTS of any OT suits on set for Rogue One, I'd sure like to see them.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

Sorry about this @Sithcollector but I have done a quick analysis of the suit you own vs the one presented on Wayne Terry's IMDB page.  Please click and check it for yourself.

r1analysis1.jpg

1) The holster. This is the strangest part of this suit and you don't need to be a TK expert to notice it. It is in the wrong place and hanging very strangely. I had no idea why they would dress the mannequin this way, but the IMDB photos shed a lot of light on it - that's how Mr Terry wore it in his fan film. The suit was likely put away with the holster hanging that way and then taken out years later with it in the same position.

2) The shoulder bells. The mannequin and screen captures show identical shoulder bell placement. Look at the black space between the bells and the chest armor. The strapping built into the suit has ensured that they hang exactly the same in both photos.

Additionally, 3) the Bicep armor hangs identically. It's rather low on both the screen captures and on the mannequin. The strapping between them makes the arms hang this way.

4) The right shin armor  seems to be rather large at the ankle in both the mannequin photo and the screen shot. This leg doesn't taper at the ankle like the left leg (with the sniper knee) does.

5) which doesn't have an arrow above - note the knee gap. The gap on the mannequin is quite large, whist the gap on Mr Terry is very small. IMDB lists Terry as 5'6" tall. This is honestly and no pun intended, a bit short for a stormtrooper. 5'10" is the ideal TK height. The mannequin is likely closer to this height and thus is the reason why there's a larger knee gap on it than on the screen captures.

6) Mr Terry was apparently an extra in Rogue One according to his IMDB. He's got this shot of Felicity Jones and Benjamin Hartley (the rebel pilot) and the fuzzy face between them bares a large resemblance to Terry's other shared photos. You should look at IMDB and judge this one for yourself, as the face is quite blurry and he's not listed as an extra in the film.

This link MAY be where the auction house was basing their providence. Terry had a set of TK armor from his own fan film (A Rogue Stormtrooper) and may have been an extra in Rogue One.

Did Mr. Terry get on R1 with his fan made suit since he was (maybe) already a background extra? Who can say. There's no screen shot evidence from the movie. And while unlikely, it IS possible, if he was an extra.  I would certainly try to reach out to Mr Terry and find out firsthand from him what exactly happened. Or take this analysis to Ewbank's and ask for a refund if you're displeased with the suit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

Sorry about this @Sithcollector but I have done a quick analysis of the suit you own vs the one presented on Wayne Terry's IMDB page.  Please click and check it for yourself.

I totally agree that this is almost certainly the same suit from his IMDB photo. The belt placement on the ab and shoulder bridges are also giveaways, but that weird holster almost guarantees it.

If this suit was ALSO in Rogue One, again, boy I'd love to see some actual proof. I don't know if @Sithcollector said he actually was the winning bidder though?