Thigh back cover strips.

Hello, I just got a submission and noticed the back strips of the thighs are very wide. Personally they look well beyond expectation and the CRL reference images, but there’s not specific width detailed on the CRL so I wanted to run this by detatchment to see if my expectations are beyond basic approval or in agreement with adjustments needed.

eqjxv2w.jpg

thanks.

At the end of the day it's all up to the GML if they will allow or not, some do and some don't. Personally as a GML if you can get away with a rectangle, up to say @40mm and not triangle I don't think it's too much of an issue, but having a triangle appearance doesn't look very nice.

Quite a few troopers have the larger cover strips due to their size and the size of the armor. Many do add larger cover strips on the rear, it's a better look than having them too big on the front.

A thread on sizing

From our DL on the subject

For cosmetics, and of coarse accuracy, try to keep your front cover strips on the thighs to the 20mm.

As to the backs, you can certainly go larger, but try and keep the back of the shins to a similar size to your rear thigh cover strips.

For example, 40 mm thigh back cover strip and 40 mm rear shin cover strips. In most cases the wearer will have larger calves as well .

Recently I help a new cadet make a very large internal shim for the back of his thighs 100mm we then cut a filler piece, and made ABS paste to fill the small gaps. We then simply made a 40 mm cover strip and glued it on centrally.

His calves were also huge, so had to make the 40mm cover strips for the back just to get them to close. In the end it all looked great, and he is currently waiting basic approval. He then intends to apply for EIB.

Example of adding a shim, this is then filled with ABS pasted, sanded and polished, then you can apply a standard 20mm cover strip.

cIBOvJ5.jpg 

A few more shim threads here

A mega shim

173141ecd9ee8bd7a366c884c2f1a7ee.jpg

And how they turned out after ABS paste and sanding/polishing

7129ecbb82771f91aca13ce1b6544eba.jpg

• Like 2

They're cover strips, not cover wedges, so I'd suggest strongly that they be a consistent width the whole way, up to maybe like 30mm or so if they need a little extra room. Above that, I'd expect the trooper to shim the thigh itself and apply a standard width coverstrip on top instead to achieve the proper look.

Edited by TheRascalKing

• 2 weeks later...

We decided on approving the costume with a condition that they’d work with myself and a local tk expert to shim and fix the strips in a couple of weeks,

Thanks for the info. I agree on what was provided.

• Like 2

Great to hear, always easier when you have knowledgably troopers by your side to help with any tweaks or updates, troopers helping troopers

Yep, also led to some changes in how our new command team is working to make membership and costuming assistance more widely useful. I'm excited for some of the plans we've got going.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FN1313 said:

Yep, also led to some changes in how our new command team is working to make membership and costuming assistance more widely useful. I'm excited for some of the plans we've got going.

I wish more GML's were like you Kyle.

Detachments are ultimately here to help members get approved from the ground up, but it makes all the difference when a GML understand that and wants to work with us and their members to get the best result for everyone.

Sadly, there are GCO's out there that don't care what the GML or any detachments say about a costume and or CRL they just override the GML ignore the CRL's, and approve anything.

Yep, that is happening out there. :(

• Like 1

I wish more GML's were like you Kyle.
Detachments are ultimately here to help members get approved from the ground up, but it makes all the difference when a GML understand that and wants to work with us and their members to get the best result for everyone.
Sadly, there are GCO's out there that don't care what the GML or any detachments say about a costume and or CRL they just override the GML ignore the CRL's, and approve anything.
Yep, that is happening out there. 

Sad to hear. I will admit, I hate saying no to a submission, but we want accuracy. The hard thing is support for builders outside of detachment. We have some decent folks here that I hope we can really make the garrison even better than ever now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2