WIP Build Laura's Captain Phasma

Laura

Hi everyone,

I’m excited to get my Captain Phasma build started and what better way to celebrate with starting a Build Thread.

After having an approved ANH Hero Stormtrooper (EIB) and a Transport Security Officer, I finally am ready to give it a go.

I started with buying a second hand kit (kit: KB props, helmet: Thorsson) + soft parts. When it came in I realized the chrome was not as good as I hoped, so took of the layers of paint, wrap, primer, more wrap. It was not really workable and gave more headaches then the joy of progress.

So I decided to buy a new kit. This time from Jimmiroquai. It arrived this week in the mail and it is gorgeous! I decided to order The Force Awakens kit, together with The Last Jedi addons – I aim to go for TLJ approval (Shiny!) and if that one is a bit battle damaged by the natural way due to trooping I can make the necessary upgrades to TFA if needed. But lets start first with the basics, research, research, research, everything is a little overwhelming.

The armor parts are made from fiberglass, my first time working with this material and can confirm everything is itchy after touching the armor. So a good bath with soft soap and lukewarm water helps a bit. It looks like everything fits well, so no major tweaks are needed.

My next step will be to set the full armor in primer and wet sand it till it is super clean.

Help/advice is very welcome on the following:

·         I’m currently browsing the forum and FB group to see what the options are to vacuum metallize and even more important if and where I can do this locally and for what costs. The other option is to go for a black super shiny gloss, airbrush it with Liquidchrome and seal it with a clear coat.

·         Still looking for a vendor who sells the Quicksilver Baton (aluminium preferred).

Also happy to hear any advice, feedback, tips or tricks!

To be continued!

KITLW.jpg

Edited by Laura

• 4 weeks later...

After browsing the whole internet, researching all ways I could chrome my armor, reaching out to many companies. I was able to find a place where I could chrome my armor with Spectra Chrome - In my opinion the most shiniest and durable way to chrome.  So excited!

They need to do a back order to get all supplies in and will let me know when they are able to take her in for her shiny upgrade.  

We agreed that I will visit them and together we will discuss the difficulty of the chroming (all the small parts) and agree on a fixed price. I already have an indication of the costs, its expensive, but definitely worth it.

While waiting on the spectra chrome, I’m going to sand and primer the kit, to make sure it’s totally clean with no imperfections.

In the meantime, I was able to make photos of the soft parts I currently have. These are all coming from a previous Phasma owner, so unfortunately I do not know the makers of the parts.

If you recognize any of it, please let me know!

Neckseal:

1oG9ccK.png

Cape:

4t3KGlN.png

Shoes:

iAXsy90.png

Belt + Belt Boxes:

MqXJ9OA.png

rTpBjS6.png

Gloves:

PJYkvBg.png

Knee Gaskets:

DgvSesx.png

Arm Gaskets:

4riAogA.png

Undersuit:

WiCykVC.png

Undersuit/gaskets/neckseal/cape:

ytN75s2.png

All armor pieces: not everything is in the correct spot ;)

DwUaUTm.jpg

I’m thinking of making the inner armor black (with fiberglass, I cannot just leave it the way it is, sooo itchy). What are you all doing on the inside of the armor?

Until next update!

• Like 4

After browsing the whole internet, researching all ways I could chrome my armor, reaching out to many companies. I was able to find a place where I could chrome my armor with Spectra Chrome - In my opinion the most shiniest and durable way to chrome.  So excited!
They need to do a back order to get all supplies in and will let me know when they are able to take her in for her shiny upgrade.  
We agreed that I will visit them and together we will discuss the difficulty of the chroming (all the small parts) and agree on a fixed price. I already have an indication of the costs, its expensive, but definitely worth it.

While waiting on the spectra chrome, I’m going to sand and primer the kit, to make sure it’s totally clean with no imperfections.

In the meantime, I was able to make photos of the soft parts I currently have. These are all coming from a previous Phasma owner, so unfortunately I do not know the makers of the parts.
If you recognize any of it, please let me know!

Neckseal:
1oG9ccK.png

Cape:
4t3KGlN.png

Shoes:
iAXsy90.png

Belt + Belt Boxes:
MqXJ9OA.png
rTpBjS6.png

Gloves:
PJYkvBg.png

Knee Gaskets:
DgvSesx.png

Arm Gaskets:
4riAogA.png

Undersuit:
WiCykVC.png

Undersuit/gaskets/neckseal/cape:
ytN75s2.png

All armor pieces: not everything is in the correct spot
DwUaUTm.jpg

I’m thinking of making the inner armor black (with fiberglass, I cannot just leave it the way it is, sooo itchy). What are you all doing on the inside of the armor?

Until next update!

Just doing black on the inside won’t be enough to stop itch. I’d recommend hitting it up with 80, 100, 200, 400 sandpaper on the inside then use something like plastidip to coat the interior. That should help.

It’s not fun work, but it is what I did with my armor when I built it.

With the armor paint. Are you prepping it prior to painting? I ask because in its current form there’s lots of little pock marks and things that you’ll likely want to not have getting in the way of the paint process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hi Laura, welcome to FISD!

Awesome to see another Phasma under constructions, best of luck with your build. :popcorn:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2023 at 1:11 AM, FN1313 said:

Just doing black on the inside won’t be enough to stop itch. I’d recommend hitting it up with 80, 100, 200, 400 sandpaper on the inside then use something like plastidip to coat the interior. That should help.

It’s not fun work, but it is what I did with my armor when I built it.

With the armor paint. Are you prepping it prior to painting? I ask because in its current form there’s lots of little pock marks and things that you’ll likely want to not have getting in the way of the paint process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!! Great advice! 

Today will be the BIG DAY! Im bringing my armor to the vendor who is going to add on the spectra chrome. They will also do all preparations for it, in total they will give the armor 7 layers (primer to topcoat) to make it supershiny. They will take care of the inside of the costume as well.

I will post pictures when I have the kit back. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Laura said:

Today will be the BIG DAY! Im bringing my armor to the vendor who is going to add on the spectra chrome. They will also do all preparations for it, in total they will give the armor 7 layers (primer to topcoat) to make it supershiny. They will take care of the inside of the costume as well.

Wow so exciting for you, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos once you have it back :popcorn:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura said:

:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :popcorn:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello hello!
Few months after my last post, but finally some exciting progress to share!

The first batch of my armor has been chromed this week by a Dutch company (the only one in NL that uses Spectrachrome). Ive got their details by contacting Spectrachrome in the US, reached out to them and they were super excited to give this a try. Few months later they had to admit it was a bit more challenging than expected. 

d7Pw8lf.jpg

QudA6bh.jpg

6Gvzlqi.jpg

i0nFn6S.jpg

I'm so excited!! Its so shiny!!

Next week we're moving on to the bigger parts.

In the meantime, any recommendations on where to buy the boots? I know they need to be jodhpur boots with a little heel, but I also need a way to get my inserts in to get a bit taller :-)

Also on the lookout for a baton - any leads? 

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...