DN/Anovos/RS

MTBer

Hello peeps,

So i think like many people here I am a little obsessed with Stormtroopers and i am fascinated with the story of how the various helmets came to be.

I was looking at the Anovos/DN helmet and thought ok, looks nice. Then on another platform people started claiming that Anovos recast a RS Propmasters bucket. This seems incredibly implausible to me. Why on earth would a licensed, approved manufacturer, with (I assume) access to the TK lids in the Lucas Archives to 3D scan, why would these guys rip off an unauthorised builder like RS? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Îve just been looking at the 2 side by side and im not convinced. The RS is clearly lineage, it has all the classic bumps and irregularities from the original screen used, im not disputing that (even though i am slightly miffed why RS arent proudly displaying what is apparently the ONLY ANH surviving armour...like wouldnt you want to show it off? 

The Anovos/DN on the otherhand is clearly symetrical. That fact alone tells me this was NOT cast from RS, which is obviously asymetrical.

Those are the conclusions ive come to. If anyone does believe Anovos recast a RS PM then please point me in the direction of some sort of evidence, because as i say, ive been comparing the 2 very closely and i just dont see it.

Thanks!! Hope i havent opened a can of worms :)

Edited by MTBer
title wrong

• MTBer changed the title to DN/Anovos/RS

Ok thanks, the Anovos is clearly not a RS recast. No doubt RS make arguably the best gear but man, there aint half a bit of fanatical fanboyism about this producer, the claim that a licensed manufacturer ripped them off is a good example of this.

Am 12.2.2023 um 18:31 schrieb MTBer:

(even though i am slightly miffed why RS arent proudly displaying what is apparently the ONLY ANH surviving armour...like wouldnt you want to show it off? 

It already paid off once that they don't display the original suit. their showroom got wiped out by a fire (1 or 2 years ago iirc). the important casts and original armor survived due to being stored off-site. as a IT-guy says: off-site backups are always recommended.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, MTBer said:

The Anovos/DN on the otherhand is clearly symetrical. That fact alone tells me this was NOT cast from RS, which is obviously asymetrical.

I assume you are referring to the Anovos helmet.  I can assure you it is 100% asymmetrical.  Look at the eyes, the vocoder, etc.

dg5ht7El.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, daryldoak said:

I assume you are referring to the Anovos helmet.  I can assure you it is 100% asymmetrical.  Look at the eyes, the vocoder, etc.

Cheers, yes I see what you mean. Do you think it is an RS recast? I remain unconvinced. Both Anovos and RS claim lineage, Anovos claim this is through helemts in the archive and private collectors, RS from their screen used lid and armour. So they can both be traced back to the original TK mould used to produce the ANH TKs in AAs workshop. To me its a bit like 2 different lines of reasoning arriving at the same conclusion. Any similarities between the Anovos and RS can be explained by the fact they both have lineage back to the original 56 TKs.

The archive is owned by Lucas film . The licensing for Star Wars items is through Disney . No access to the lucasfilm archive comes with a Disney license .  This answers your question . 

Also, EFX were given permission to make a mold from the original ESB Fett helmet (stored at Lucasfilm) for their pcr helmet. Why woulden’t another licensed company be given similar access one might wonder. 

Edited by TheSwede

On 2/15/2023 at 6:35 PM, Rob .T . said:

The archive is owned by Lucas film . The licensing for Star Wars items is through Disney . No access to the lucasfilm archive comes with a Disney license .  This answers your question . 

Ummm, well...im not sure it does. Lucas Films own the archive. DIsney own Lucas Films. Therefore Disney own the archive. Or are you suggesteing that the $4.5 billion deal somehow excluded the warehouse holding all the screen used props? 

“When The Walt Disney Company acquired Lucasfilm from George Lucas in October 2012, the archival collections held by Lucasfilm were divided. George Lucas retained the Lucasfilm Research Library and its collections while renaming it the Lucas Research Library. Lucas also kept what is now referred to as his private collection of props, costumes, and other materials related to Lucasfilm projects up to 2012. The materials that make up Lucas’s private collection will become the collection of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art set to open to the public in 2023.”

“Disney, on the other hand, acquired the Lucasfilm Film Archive, which stores all the negatives, prints, original films, and production documents dating back to the beginning of Lucasfilm. These materials were once housed in their own building on Skywalker Ranch, but they have since been moved to the Presidio offices of Lucasfilm Ltd. located in San Francisco. As Lucasfilm Ltd. began to make new films and content the company generated materials for storage and preservation in an archive [located at the Presidio location].”

Source:

https://cdr.lib.unc.edu/downloads/j3860h34b

It’s a unique relationship, but it would appear the most if the physical props from the original films remain with Lucas as part of his private collection while all of the images, and written documents, went to Disney.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aradun said:

“When The Walt Disney Company acquired Lucasfilm from George Lucas in October 2012, the archival collections held by Lucasfilm were divided. George Lucas retained the Lucasfilm Research Library and its collections while renaming it the Lucas Research Library. Lucas also kept what is now referred to as his private collection of props, costumes, and other materials related to Lucasfilm projects up to 2012. The materials that make up Lucas’s private collection will become the collection of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art set to open to the public in 2023.”

“Disney, on the other hand, acquired the Lucasfilm Film Archive, which stores all the negatives, prints, original films, and production documents dating back to the beginning of Lucasfilm. These materials were once housed in their own building on Skywalker Ranch, but they have since been moved to the Presidio offices of Lucasfilm Ltd. located in San Francisco. As Lucasfilm Ltd. began to make new films and content the company generated materials for storage and preservation in an archive [located at the Presidio location].”

Source:

https://cdr.lib.unc.edu/downloads/j3860h34b

It’s a unique relationship, but it would appear the most if the physical props from the original films remain with Lucas as part of his private collection while all of the images, and written documents, went to Disney.

OK brilliant that is useful information. However, as mentioned above eFx had access to the archives for the Boba Fett helemt. This is from a FB post on the same topic. As a response to someone who says the Anovos is RS recast; no, thats false. The Anovos TK was laser scanned from pieces in the archives, then the digital files were cleaned somewhat and sharpened (the thinner plastic they used also contributed somewhat to the sharper look of their suits). I was in the original pre-order group for the first batch at $350, and Anovos sent us regular "behind the scenes" development emails about the process of bringing the tk to market. The teeth, just for example, are totally different between the rs and anovos buckets, and look like two different original helmets are the respective sources

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
Remove text formatting that made it hard to read.
  • Like 1