Dblcross's 5.0 AM Build Thread

dblcross

And just in case it hasn't been said previously, make sure you rough the surfaces with coarse sandpaper, will help the glue to grip a little more.

You'd be amazed on how much a tiny dab of E6000 can grip, especially in places you've added too much and you are trying to clean up :laugh1:
Oh my gosh. My thumbs were bleeding from rubbing off E6000!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dblcross said:

Oh my gosh. My thumbs were bleeding from rubbing off E6000

I have found scrap pieces of plastic or trimmed pop sticks (frozen icecream sticks) can save your thumbs if you have a lot of glue to remove. Clean up with a slightly damp rag, it's the friction that helps break the glue away

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I have found scrap pieces of plastic or trimmed pop sticks (frozen icecream sticks) can save your thumbs if you have a lot of glue to remove. Clean up with a slightly damp rag, it's the friction that helps break the glue away

Friction and Goo Gone.

• Like 1

I made so good progress tonight. Got V tabs done. Elastic strapping done from Butt plate to Kidney plate. Got my side rivets marked out for drilling. Elastic hook for my shoulder bells. Reshaped to the lower part of my shoulder bells in a hot water bath. I'm not too sure how I feel about snap plates.  I made some elastic ones but my wife is asleep, so no snap setting tonight. Just waiting on the glue to dry so I can get back to it! q1jeatB.jpgnJRWLyf.jpgEHnW9b6.jpgmU7CsK8.jpguaRNGv9.jpgiIaLvL6.jpgs1e6Z5u.jpgwNX9NSH.jpgtTi2DR1.jpgKNQ9qnH.jpg All this typing, now shes up :icon_eek:

Edited by dblcross

9 hours ago, dblcross said:

Does the kidney plate get trimmed down to match the ab plate?WRnRZC7.jpg

Got some good input from Dave (DD) First advice he told me is my Kidney plate is upside down. So a redo oh my snap plates is in order.

• Like 2

Got some good input from Dave (DD) First advice he told me is my Kidney plate is upside down. So a redo oh my snap plates is in order.

Ahh I just noticed that yeah. So Dave recently responded to you then? Just was asking as I’ve not heard from him yet on my helmet shipping so at least that confirms he’s hasn’t just disappeared. Not that I’m concerned really, just had another asking about things and didn’t have any knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FN1313 said:

Ahh I just noticed that yeah. So Dave recently responded to you then? Just was asking as I’ve not heard from him yet on my helmet shipping so at least that confirms he’s hasn’t just disappeared. Not that I’m concerned really, just had another asking about things and didn’t have any knowledge.

It was 3:30 am, but yeah he responded. 

• Like 1

It was 3:30 am, but yeah he responded. 

Cool. I’m sure he’s very busy still with commissions which is why I’m not pushing anything I just was glad to hear that he’s responsive and something else wasn’t going on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Cool. I’m sure he’s very busy still with commissions which is why I’m not pushing anything I just was glad to hear that he’s responsive and something else wasn’t going on.

Just curious I used 2-inch nylon to connect my forearm to my biceps.  What did you use?

Edited by dblcross

Just curious I used 2-inch nylon to connect my forearm to my biceps.  What did you use?

I’m not quite to the connection and strapping bits so I haven’t got things going yet. I figured I’d use nylon or elastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, FN1313 said:

I’m not quite to the connection and strapping bits so I haven’t got things going yet. I figured I’d use nylon or elastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 inch elastic seemed kind of janky so I went with 2 in nylon, glued to the forearm and double-snapped to the bicep.

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

Question, I haven't seen this brought up anywhere but, I shattered my elbow back in my early 20's and can no longer bend my left straight. 22GZmYs.jpg as you can see in the photos PXli2yM.jpgWWyuLkc.jpg looks like the right arm needs trimming at the top of the forearm in the back. how should I compensate the gap between forearm and bicep? Is this going to be an issue when it comes to approval? 

Edited by dblcross

1 hour ago, dblcross said:

looks like the right arm needs trimming at the top of the forearm in the back. how should I compensate the gap between forearm and bicep? Is this going to be an issue when it comes to approval? 

IMO, I wouldn't recommend you to  trim it yet. once you have the complete suit up, you will see if there are additional details to fix.

• Like 2

IMO, I wouldn't recommend you to  trim it yet. once you have the complete suit up, you will see if there are additional details to fix.

I agree that you should hold up on trimming that just yet. That being said I wouldn’t worry too much about your approval due to your mobility. I’ve a few times made some concessions to physical needs of trooper submissions.

Once all suited up then we can return and review if any trimming is needed.

• Like 2

So I noticed in test fitting that my elastic strapping was pulling the 2 pieces ( ab and kidney) together. So I elected to make a tab that will keep me aligned. I also went ahead and painted it black to match my undersuit. Also, on a side note, I'm not a fan of abs snap plates! I had one already pull off from the stress of the elastic strap, so from now on I'm using elastic snap plates like I did on my arms for the rest of the build and will probably be changing out all of the ABS snap plates. maS3dOV.jpg6L9IAFm.jpgV39tb1a.jpg In the last photo you can see I drill out the kidney plate instead of the Ab plate for the Han snap and had to readjust. Right now I'm debating between using  Abs paste or white sugru. I'm leaning towards white sugru.

Oops, measure twice, cut once ;) 

ABS paste should match the armor better, sugru you may need to touch up with paint to match

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FN1313 said:

I had to fill a hole with abs paste because my Han snap was a little too far in.

:laugh1: At least you drilled out the right piece! 

• Like 1