Dblcross's 5.0 AM Build Thread

dblcross

Man, FN1313 has got a good eye considering I didn't even really post a picture of them when he saw they were backward! They were in the background of my shin picture! 

It’s a blessing and a curse. I can’t watch the movies or shows without scrutinizing costumes anymore, but it does help with reviewing costume submissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E6000 Is were it's at! I've been sweating this all day wondering if they were wrong. I'll get pictures up after I get them back together. Thanks. 6LTZEjA.jpg

I think overall you will be fine once they are back together considering you didn’t really trim much at all. It’s also possible you may need to trim them more like I did depending on how long or in my case not long your thighs are.

And yeah that’s why I’ve been using e6000 too, because if you used CA glue it would be a nightmare.

And for anyone following this is one reason we use E6000, mistakes can happen but at least with this glue you have the chance to separate pieces without a great deal of work or cleanup, with a permanent glue there would be no chance.

Looking forward to seeing round 2 ;) 

• Like 2

And for anyone following this is one reason we use E6000, mistakes can happen but at least with this glue you have the chance to separate pieces without a great deal of work or cleanup, with a permanent glue there would be no chance.

Looking forward to seeing round 2  
Already glued them at 4:30 am before I left for work so I could play with them a little when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Exactly.  This should be written in stone (or at least carbonite) somewhere. :D

22 hours ago, dblcross said:

E6000 Is were it's at! I've been sweating this all day wondering if they were wrong. I'll get pictures up after I get them back together. Thanks. 

It looks as if you should be fine here, Terry.  Nice job!  :jc_doublethumbup:

https://imgur.com/a/bsdULNU Question on trim lines. https://imgur.com/a/xjjYLtF I was able to tape the cod to the butt plate. And Mark the edge of the front cod. Do they look ok? And to get the butt plate to sit on my rear at a good level and noticed a lot of extra room but the cod seems to be low. Is that normal?

6 hours ago, dblcross said:

https://imgur.com/a/bsdULNU Question on trim lines. https://imgur.com/a/xjjYLtF I was able to tape the cod to the butt plate. And Mark the edge of the front cod. Do they look ok? And to get the butt plate to sit on my rear at a good level and noticed a lot of extra room but the cod seems to be low. Is that normal?

This is the difference that I'm talking about. The butt plate turns before the cod. Are these 2 aligned properly?9oKl1bl.jpg

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Many remove that bent area of the posterior

img_0111.jpg

So the gap and strapping here always looked a lot shorter than what I'm seeing here. Or is it that I've never seen armor in person before?Xle3hIP.jpg

24 minutes ago, dblcross said:

So the gap and strapping here always looked a lot shorter than what I'm seeing here. Or is it that I've never seen armor in person before?Xle3hIP.jpg

The COD section aligns lower

UvrHSK8.png

CNzMl8i.jpg

• Like 1

I see now, thank you.

Yeah I’m measuring where things line up as top of kidney meets top of abdomen, from there that will tell me where butt plate should sit. But yeah, that’s also where that square cut you see in images comes into play.

• Like 1

Y'all, I'm struggling on determining trim lines on my thighs. the only way I can think of to help is to get the Ab, Kidney, and butt plate done so I can see how it all lines up with the thighs. I've been at a standstill on this. On a positive note, Dave sent me a new set of ears and my helmet fan kit so I got to finish that at least!U2ZL8Mz.jpg Mind you, I've got some clean up on the paint for the ears, I'm letting them dry.8FKzc8y.jpg4VON6xZ.jpgdUXK6Nt.jpg  And I love making my wife giggle FHaRR9P.mp4

Edited by dblcross

Snap plate time and I've already got a question. crHzyfb.jpg  after setting the snap the abs is curved. Do I need to flare this out more with another layer of abs? The plate doesn't sit flush because of the snap.d1bPG8W.jpg

Snap plate time and I've already got a question. crHzyfb.jpg  after setting the snap the abs is curved. Do I need to flare this out more with another layer of abs? The plate doesn't sit flush because of the snap.d1bPG8W.jpg

Looks like you used the female end of the snap which has the rounded backs to it for that. I’d have recommended using the male ends that have the flat end of the back.

fda858d0a7508e486c9779ab1889fd5d.jpg

Being as they are more flat on the back it’s a little easier to have them sit more flush with the armor if that’s the way you choose to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, FN1313 said:

Looks like you used the female end of the snap which has the rounded backs to it for that. I’d have recommended using the male ends that have the flat end of the back.

fda858d0a7508e486c9779ab1889fd5d.jpg

Being as they are more flat on the back it’s a little easier to have them sit more flush with the armor if that’s the way you choose to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did use the male end for the post which is flush . 4UlXhI8.jpgbDbk1OC.jpg0EcIB83.jpg

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

You can also recess the back of the snap with a little heat so it will lay flat when glue is applied

• Like 2

I did use the male end for the post which is flush . 4UlXhI8.jpgbDbk1OC.jpg0EcIB83.jpg

In that case I’d recommend adding some more surface area to the plastic for the snap. So there’s more that can touch and glue. That does make me realize a bit why some use nylon webbing rather than the plastic.

You can also recess the back of the snap with a little heat so it will lay flat when glue is applied

That’s a great idea. So simple and yet can’t believe I didn’t think about that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

That’s a great idea. So simple and yet can’t believe I didn’t think about that.

It always amazes no mater how many ways you think something can be done you find someone else has a different method ;) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

In that case I’d recommend adding some more surface area to the plastic for the snap. So there’s more that can touch and glue. That does make me realize a bit why some use nylon webbing rather than the plastic.

hence the double ;layer of plastic from my first picture. I like the heating idea and will try it after  I take the wife on a bike ride.

d1bPG8W.jpg

Edited by dblcross

And just in case it hasn't been said previously, make sure you rough the surfaces with coarse sandpaper, will help the glue to grip a little more.

You'd be amazed on how much a tiny dab of E6000 can grip, especially in places you've added too much and you are trying to clean up :laugh1:

• Like 1