Abdel AP props Build

Abdel

I got it almost a month ago.. still sitting in the box. Kinda a lil anxious to start. And trying to finish my mando project just taking longer than planned. Will start soooon. I hope! First stormtrooper attempt! 

Was gonna add a photo... but it tells me they are all too big... 

Hi Thomas. Welcome to the FISD. 
most use imgur for posting images as the forums allow for very limited images. 
‘Here is a link on how to do it 

“Armour Anxiety” is a real thing and that first cut is very intimidating.  My advice is to ask lots of questions before you do something that is not easily fixed.  There are lots of people here that are happy to help.  You have started a build thread and that is a huge first step.  

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. 

Hello and welcome aboard, Imgur is what I use and don't have any issues.

I think post of has have the were to start/panic after we have opened our BBB's, not to fear as soon as you start trimming your first piece you will realise it's really not that hard to do.

Make sure you do your research, you will find just about everything you would want to know in this thread 

When in doubt we also have the gallery sections full of references

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Good luck and hope to see a build thread from you soon.

Thomas!  Good to see you on FISD. Yes, the first cut is terrifying. Lol. Let me know when you’re ready to start… I can go over my AP suit with you. It’s easier to do this in person. 

As others have said, it was certainly a stressful ordeal with my first cut, but it truly did get easier after that. The key to remember is to cut shallow, taking off only a little at a time while you’re still getting comfortable. You can always cut off more material with a second or third pass of the Lexan scissors, but it’s very difficult to add plastic back if you over cut.

I would also recommend starting your first couple of cuts with straight runs to get accustomed to how the scissors slice through the plastic. Although you may already have experience with that from your Mando project. Then you can move onto the curved pieces. I’d also work on the less visible armor components first, such as the biceps that are largely hidden underneath the shoulder bells. Backwards facing pieces are also less prominent that those in the front.

Hopefully this helps! We’re here to assist, and it it sounds like you also have a local contingent at your disposal!

• 2 months later...

Well. I haven't done alot in the way of the plates yet. BUT I did order my boots, materials for straps. I ordered a pair of scissors that I was recommened to buy as they would come in handy for trimming. I ordered earth magnets, clamps, and a Helmet bag (Well.. two.. my mando needed one tooooo)

I've grabbed blue painters tape, a ruler, and I think most of the other tools I was recommended to buy. The only purchase needed might be new E6000..... Soooooomeone might have glued the lid on it.... I swear. It wasn't me!! Honest >.> Bloody Mandos! Nothin but trouble! Long live the Empire. 

We'll see if i break it all outta the box and work on it. Or if it waits, we could be moving in the next couple months. HOPEFULLY, i can get some time in here to actually work on it. Got a few pestering me off and on to get at it! SO here's hoping!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well. The magnets, clamps, helmet bag, and straps and snaps i ordered have all shown up. I guess all that is left is to start building... Got a few events to attend tomorrow and this weekend. And a zoom meeting tonight. So take a few days next week to recover after it all. And then hopefully get cracking on this project! 

• Like 1

So! It's out of the box!! I started trimming on one of the thigh pieces. Tapped together. Pretty sure it still needs to be trimmed more yet. But I just ran outta time last night. Seeing as had to also get ready for May the 4th event. and This weekends comicon! BUT Its started. And thats the most important bit of this! I CUT SOME STUFF! 

aFm0nxv.jpgwbgbJPL.jpgANoEuLZ.jpggxrqwzO.jpgMZ2nxMR.jpgcprzZho.jpgHOprMLO.jpg

Edited by Abdel
adding pictures
  • Like 2

That would be your shin not your thigh ;) 

Appears you can go smaller, standard sizing of coverstrips below, although they can be larger if need, if you only need a little more room you are better adding bigger coverstrips to the backs as that is not as noticeable as you are mainly seen from the front.

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

Once trimmed you could use a block of wood with sandpaper wrapped around to help get a nice straight edge.

• Like 2

Derp! Yea. Shin! Anatomy! Lol. Yea. I was more excited that I finally started than anything! Was at Comicon this weekend. Was Inspecting and studying the TK's we had. Especially the AP Guys get a real good look at what I'm supposed to look like when i'm done!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry. Slow going. After a busy stretch of events. I ended up getting sick. SO didn't so much. I feel hecka lot better than i did, just a lingering cough for the last couple weeks...

I did manage to get the majority of the pieces trimmed the excess off. Think some might need a bit of trimming just to fit to size. But!! There is an armour party planned for this weekend. So we will see what progress happens there. Not been to an armour party in a loooong time. So will be fun either way! Hopefullly leaps and bounds of progress photos to come >.>

• Like 3

It can be incredibly helpful to have others lend an eye or even hands, all being well you will move along nicely :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I completely forgot to update here after the armour party. I didn't even take any progress photos. All the parts are rough cut out. A few still need to be trimmed a little to size right. The few that are sized right I need to get out to the store to grab some sanding papers to sand down the edges on the inside so they aren't too rough, a suggestion given to me at the armour party that I hadn't thought of. My progress was more in learning what steps i need than physical progress. Confidence is rising. Just need more time to actually do things. I tried to ask questions as much as I could to pick at the depths of knowledge of the approved TK's that attended. One even had his kit there to look at. Where all his straps are, how the peices look together when not on a person, or attached to other parts. It was really helpful to see what the pieces look like alone.

• Like 4

It's amazing how much knowledge you can take away from an armor workshop, very hard to stop and take photos when you are deep down the rabbit hole.

• Like 2