Heavy Weapons Trooper Build - Capital City Garrison, Ottawa Canada

Hi friends,

A while back I started building a backpack for my Heavy Weapons Trooper upgrade for my ANH Stunt TK. I've saved tons of photos of the build, but haven't posted any here.

So I'd like to post the lasted shot that I have. The pack itself is largely complete except for the white panel on the down tube, and then weathering.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

IMG_3210_S.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good!!! The rivets on the drop siphon are particularly tasty.

Your button box (upper left) looks a bit large. Not extremely so, it just stuck out to me. What did you use for it?

Also what did you use for the radio screen/speaker cover? Is it glossy? I can't quite tell. Glossy may be an issue for approval.

Nice work trooper, I agree with the glossy face of the radio, may not get through for higher level approval.

Many miss that the top button box is actually longer, although that doesn't get picked up at higher levels, I would however trim a little of the sides of the switch plate as it is a little wide.

large.pcsx22011-04-1212-28-32-01.jpg.277  small_HWT3.jpg.54e943fe538b51a75121e848e

REALLY nice job on this pack, Eric, and ALWAYS great to see another potential HWT joining the ranks!  As has been mentioned, the glossy surface on the "radio box" may or may not be an issue (depending on your GML) for Basic 501st approval, but instead of that reflective finish I would suggest perhaps making it solid black or even covering it with some black window type screen, even if you are not heading for higher levels of approval (but as a fellow HWT I hope you are)!. 

Yeah, the shiny finish may look cool, but the CRLs are based on the videogame where the surface has no reflection.

If I can be of any help on your journey, just let me know! 

Great to see another HWT coming along!:duim:

I'll agree the top button box shape is a bit off. I see you are weathering it up and that's great. I would point out that with heavy use the edges would have more wear than the inner edge. Noting the wear on radio. Chipped in top corner and none around outside edge which would hit everything. (You'll find that out later.;))

Over all well done Future Heavy Trooper!:jc_doublethumbup:

Also I just realized that this was actually the same build that I had photographed my keyboard keys for you back in 2020, comparing them to the rubber bumpers available on Amazon. :laugh1: Glad to see you're almost there! My own TK build took about that same amount of time, and heck, I have all the HWT pack components; I just need to assemble them!

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and the valuable comments.

I will definitely paint the screen part of the radio box flat black. I will probably paint the entire box flat again, and then start fresh with the weathering. Existing weathering was accidental anyway (I dropped the box by accident while the paint was wet). LOL.

I may leave the button box as is for now, and see what the CCG GML has to say about it. If it fails I will rebuild the box, but I'd rather not do the extra work if I don't have to. Besides, I kinda like the way it fills the space aesthetically.

In other WIP news, my ammo pouches arrived Friday. They look great. Excellent quality. No way I could make anything nearly as good. For some reason the thread won't let me upload a pic bigger than 14.5KB which is too small to see anything. So, no pic for this. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

4 hours ago, EricEBGA said:

For some reason the thread won't let me upload a pic bigger than 14.5KB which is too small to see anything. So, no pic for this. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Many of us use Imgur, a free image host, once you upload your images there just copy and paste the link to each photo into your forum post 

Definitely get onto IMGUR as has been suggested.

Unfortunately with the volume of members we have, and the fact we share a server with legion, we just don't have enough storage capacity to direct store many images.

Once you are set up, if you want your storage space cleared if it is full, just shoot me a PM and i can clear it for you as it is a back end function.

Great work on that back pack Eric, looking very nice.

Hi HWTs - thanks for the tips. I had forgotten about my Imgur  account.

I uploaded my photos there. Rather than sharing all the construction pics here, I'll just post the latest as they come now.

Following the advice above, I have repainted the radio box entirely flat. I think it looks better.

QUESTION: Is it recommended to weather before or after approval?

Also, I made the white down tube plate out of craft foam. I think it looks not bad.

Let me know what you all think of the look of the pack now. Thanks again for the help!

tRa3OqP.jpg

Weathering is required for EIB, but not mentioned for basic approval. I would assume you can get approved with it as is.

My personal preference is to weather immediately though. The shapes are so basic... it really comes to life with weathering. Looks more like a used trooper pack than a grouping of CG shapes (not an offense intended at yours, but of all HWT packs).

Your pack is looking great!!! Got the straps done? That part took me nearly as long to get right as the rest of the pack.

45 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

Weathering is required for EIB, but not mentioned for basic approval. I would assume you can get approved with it as is.

My personal preference is to weather immediately though. The shapes are so basic... it really comes to life with weathering. Looks more like a used trooper pack than a grouping of CG shapes (not an offense intended at yours, but of all HWT packs).

Your pack is looking great!!! Got the straps done? That part took me nearly as long to get right as the rest of the pack.

Thanks for the feedback! Straps are a work in progress. Experimenting currently. Regarding EIB or Centurion approval, how does one go about that? I've only ever applied for basic.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/

EIB and Centurion stuff is in here. 

You obsess over the CRL and photos required, then get someone to take said photos whilst you repeatedly refer to the photo sheets and yell at them for not noticing your shoulder bells weren't quite aligned.  :D

But seriously, to me, it's really satisfying having armor that's as accurate as it can possibly be. Not at all a requirement, just a fun thing for those of us wired that way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricEBGA said:

Probably way closer than any GML will inspect, but this is a close up of the (craft foam) white down tube panel. What do you think? Passable for basic?

ri2NwTZ.jpg

Looks fine to me. :duim:

Just to clean :D

Keep up the great work!

Personally I wouldn't have rounded the corners but I doubt your GML will pick on that

large.pcsx22011-04-1212-27-58-81.jpg.41f

I think the 7 ribs is actually wrong too in the pack guide, looks like 5 ribs to me 

C5frZx4.jpg  ribs.png

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally I wouldn't have rounded the corners but I doubt your GML will pick on that

large.pcsx22011-04-1212-27-58-81.jpg.41f

I think the 7 ribs is actually wrong too in the pack guide, looks like 5 ribs to me 

C5frZx4.jpg  ribs.png

At this stage in the game I'm inclined to leave it at seven bumps. How many bumps does your backpack down tube panel have? Five or seven?

3 hours ago, EricEBGA said:

At this stage in the game I'm inclined to leave it at seven bumps. How many bumps does your backpack down tube panel have? Five or seven?

I sold my last pack as it was a little too heavy, that had seven and it's only now researching for my new pack that I noticed this details. First pack was 7 but new pack will be 5, I will also be adjusting some sizes of the boxes too as the guide is a little small on some.

I doubt the amount of ridges will not get updated in the CRL anytime soon.

• 3 months later...