ZaanSolo super newby build (Jim Tripon TLJ)

Hello everyone

So I thought I should do a build thread, I want to preface this with I have never done this before so brace yourself. There will be lots of errors, but I will make up for it in enthusiasm.

So BBB arrived yesterday, haven't been able to unpack it yet (see next steps). But overall some details:

- TLJ kit from Jim Tripon. Ordered 22 Nov, 12 Dec impulse added the blaster (obviously moving shipping date out), shipped 15 Jan and received 19 Jan. 

- Will be ordering gaskets, harness, neck seal, shiny shorts and closer to end of the build the cape from Geeky Pink

- Shoes TBC (still deciding if I will do lifters, I am 1.71m so on the fence)

- Gloves TBC

- Under suit, living in Sweden has supplied me with many of those

- Chrome finish currently 3 options get it professionally done (started reaching out to shops, but will delay build do to cost), metallization (see previous option) and finally possibly having it wrapped. Not sure if anyone has done that yet and if it could/does work.

Next steps:

- Clean kit by scrubbing down with scour pads and soap (just need to get a work jacket and gloves today for that)

- Do a test fit after cleaning 

- We don't have a lot of workspace so ordered a little gazebo to work in outside, that will arrive with the primer and sanding paper etc. Hopefully this gets going Monday 

- I am waiting to hear if their is an equivalent of FibreGlast 1110 available here, once I know I will either do a layer of the resin and Plastidip else just a layer of Plastidip (assuming Plastidip should go on once the snaps etc. has been installed)

Excited to get the build going and taking you all on this janky journey with me.

BBB1.jpg

Spännande! :jc_doublethumbup: Where are you located in Sweden? Looking forward to your progress!

Everyone is here to help when you need questions answered!

Sidenote: Fellow Swede and Swedish Garrison GML (@TheSwede) has been building an FOTK recently, so mistakes or triumphs are fresh on his mind! :jc_doublethumbup:

9 hours ago, Nairy said:

Spännande! :jc_doublethumbup: Where are you located in Sweden? Looking forward to your progress!

Everyone is here to help when you need questions answered!

Sidenote: Fellow Swede and Swedish Garrison GML (@TheSwede) has been building an FOTK recently, so mistakes or triumphs are fresh on his mind! :jc_doublethumbup:

Hi, I'm in Nacka, Stockholm.

I am definitely going to have a million questions, let me actually start with the first one :) im looking for the equivalent of FibreGlast 1110 here in Sweden, reached out to a few resin companies with no luck so far. Has anyone here done a Jimmy kit yet and used something like the FibreGlast for reinforcement?

And obviously any possible contacts to reach out for paint would be super appreciated.

Y0qCleO.jpg

Cleaned and drying, ready for when the primer etc arrive later today.

All look great other than one small piece of damage on one of the lower leg pieces, will need to figure out how to fix that:

Qi6dpPW.jpg 

le344kj.jpg 

JZI0Mza.jpg 

Edited by ZaanSolo

For fiberglass you can use automotovie filler "bondo", two part filler which dries quite quickly, start of sanding with coarse sandpaper then swap out to finer sandpaper. 

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For fiberglass you can use automotovie filler "bondo", two part filler which dries quite quickly, start of sanding with coarse sandpaper then swap out to finer sandpaper. 

Thanks so much for this, will head out and grab some today. 

• Like 1

Awesome!! Can’t wait to see another Captain in our ranks. So for the wrap idea. I talked to a lot of wrap companies when I was building mine in 2017 and they all said the same thing. It would work, but there would be seems in the wrap and also in the areas with a lot of indents and details it could very easily not work or mute the details a lot. The best ways to chrome are metallization, have a shop do a spray chrome or some method like that, or do it yourself with alclad with an airbrush. Not entirely sure if alclad is ok with TLJ tho due to it not being that perfect chrome but I’m sure for Lvl1 it would be acceptable. A GML can chime in on my comment for clarification 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 5:06 PM, CAPN FUZZMA said:

Awesome!! Can’t wait to see another Captain in our ranks. So for the wrap idea. I talked to a lot of wrap companies when I was building mine in 2017 and they all said the same thing. It would work, but there would be seems in the wrap and also in the areas with a lot of indents and details it could very easily not work or mute the details a lot. The best ways to chrome are metallization, have a shop do a spray chrome or some method like that, or do it yourself with alclad with an airbrush. Not entirely sure if alclad is ok with TLJ tho due to it not being that perfect chrome but I’m sure for Lvl1 it would be acceptable. A GML can chime in on my comment for clarification 

Hello

Thanks so much, I've been talking ti a few suppliers and have also found a spectra chrome supplier in Norway. So making some headway there, might also be heading to the US in July and wondering if it isn't worth taking her with and getting it done there. If you don't mind me asking, what did you go with and how has the maintenance been on it?

Small update while I'm at it, been snowing so slow progress. Almost done with internal covering with plastidip and about 1/5 of the way with coating the outside with primer for 1st round of prep. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:22 AM, ZaanSolo said:

Hello

Thanks so much, I've been talking ti a few suppliers and have also found a spectra chrome supplier in Norway. So making some headway there, might also be heading to the US in July and wondering if it isn't worth taking her with and getting it done there. If you don't mind me asking, what did you go with and how has the maintenance been on it?

Small update while I'm at it, been snowing so slow progress. Almost done with internal covering with plastidip and about 1/5 of the way with coating the outside with primer for 1st round of prep. 

So I chromed mine myself with Angel Gilding. It’s basically spectra chrome just a do it at your home version. Super hard to get right and finicky and expensive. Spectra chrome is a great option if it’s near you! I wouldn’t bring it all the way out here for that. Cause who knows how long it’ll take for them to chrome it.