Ladies Sub Team -Women of Armor

Soulart

HELLO THERE!!!!

Hoping you all had a lovely holiday. It’s a New Year. And the right time to post this!
This is something that’s been discussed for a long time, past couple years actually. Interest was gathered. Names were thrown about with great research. Support was discussed.
It’s been something I truly wished to see come to fruition here for our Detachment. I feel it’s important on many levels.
We have many Detachments with women Sub Unit Teams. It’s about time FISD had one don’t you think?? Here’s what we have so far…

JRS - Black Widows
IOC -Firebirds
Path Finders- Recon Fatale
Krayt Clan- Scarabs
MEPD - Desert Foxes
Blizzard Force - Snow Angels
Spec Ops- Sirens
Clone Trooper- Bad Banshees
IGC- Ravens
ACD- Iron Maidens
FISD- ?
Bounty Hunters Guild-?
Underworld- ?
The Flagship Eclipse-?
Sithlords -?
Sovereign Protectors- ?

I did a whack of research on numbers. Women Sub Teams in our Legion Detachments. Their names. Actual Percentages of women in the legion. What benefit such things offer our lady members on a whole.

As FISD being the largest Detachment with a fairly low number of members identifying as female, I felt it was about time we had something that would in hopes, allow for more inclusion or be more welcoming. To support more women in builds and address issues that may stop them from coming to our forum or costumes in general.

Please do not mistake my posting in any way against our men here. Our men are beautiful. Helpful. Insightful and knowledgeable. This is about EVERYONE having a safe place to discuss and build. Yes. There IS a place here for this exact thing.
Some questions our lady members wish to ask , are personal. Very. And very much related to body parts our male counterparts do not have to consider nor deal with. Sometimes it’s daunting to cross that bridge and ask how do you squeeze a hormonal rear into armor not designed for a female curve.
Discussions happened with this Detachments Command team, and we unanimously agreed this needed to happen. And was very much supported. The men here all supported me in this endeavor.

An open/very accessible sub forum section will be created where any identifying woman can seek advice from other women. Women FISD staff. Other ladies in armor.
Women addressing all things women because let’s face it- as lovely as our men are, I can see some cringing discussing binding breasts to fit a chest plate. Hormonal weight gain problems. And how that might look or be addressed. Or, how do you other ladies combat a menstrual cycle while in full armor.
Let’s say you’ve encountered being sexualized. Or victimized. Had to remind another “cosplay does NOT equal consent” And you’d prefer a woman to seek advice from. Or… maybe you had a poor experience with a fellow woman member, and you wish to discuss it with another…
Or. Let’s say you are 50. Had 3 children. Maybe don’t feel as pretty as another. You struggle with body image.
You’ve seen a 30 year old hot blonde get 100 likes on posting herself in armor, yet you are 50/60. And overweight. And have been ostracized for wanting to be a trooper. Or ridiculed in your costume if you posted one. You struggled to build. Shim. Re fit. And were made fun of. Or. You gave up because all you could access for help here were male builders. So you left our forums. Downhearted.

This sub unit forum/ team is not intended to be negative regarding our men. Nor a place for feminist platforms/agendas. This is always only about equality. Inclusion. Support. Help. Safety. Costume building for women. As is our entire Legion itself.
This Detachment is extremely low in female to male ratio, and there is no real reason for that…. I questioned SO MANY WOMEN as to why. As the only Female member of Command Staff here, It’s always been my intent to change that percentage…Somehow. To encourage and welcome. Safely. Openly. Kindly. Equally.

So. Let’s get back to the Unit itself. The most popular name choice was
“Vaders Valkyries.”
Now. That being said, names can be submitted. We can vote. We can look at many things.

I’ll put this up here for an interest thread, and then proceed accordingly. See the comments. Listen for feedback.
Please respond kindly and respectfully.
I/we look forward to hearing from you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 20

Love the idea! The name sounds cool as well! I‘d love to support you in this! 
Oh the opportunities, just think about all the pretty merch we could have :D jokes aside (that wasn’t really a joke though, have you seen those beautiful „pin-up“ patches by the Scout Troopers), the issues with different body types really do come up and I‘d love to have a space where we can help each other out! 

• Like 2

Hello sisters!! I love this idea, great initiative Teresa.

I'm just not convinced to add Vaders to the name, there are more powerful women in Star Wars, why use a male name?

Hugs !!!

• Like 1

Hello sisters!! I love this idea, great initiative Teresa.
I'm just not convinced to add Vaders to the name, there are more powerful women in Star Wars, why use a male name?
Hugs !!!

Hi hi!!!! thank you!

I’m not feminist in any way.
But I am for girl power.
And I celebrate our men. In real life and in SW. why Vaders ? Because we all (troopers) were his army?
Created for a purpose. And given to him? To utilize? Valkyries (powerful women that served)
Historically SW wise makes perfect sense?
And our (costumes) were borne from that originally?
As was our Detachment? And we (men/women) belong to it? It has a catchy ring to it? And is relevant? Hahaha.
I don’t know… why not? Tell me your reasons you don’t care for it. Let’s look at why.

I’m happy for ideas being presented. And looked at.
This is a work in progress that’s been batted about for a couple years. Or more prior to my time on it.

hace 3 horas, Soulart dijo:

hola hola!!!! emoji175.png¡gracias!

No soy feminista de ninguna manera.
Pero estoy a favor del poder femenino.
Y celebro a nuestros hombres. En la vida real y en SW. ¿Por qué Vaders? ¿Porque todos nosotros (soldados) éramos su ejército?
Creado con un propósito. ¿Y entregado a él? ¿Para utilizar? Valquirias (mujeres poderosas que sirvieron)
¿Históricamente SW sabio tiene perfecto sentido?
¿Y nuestros (disfraces) nacieron de eso originalmente?
¿Cómo era nuestro Destacamento? ¿Y nosotros (hombres/mujeres) pertenecemos a ella? ¿Tiene un tono pegadizo? y es relevante? Jajaja.
no sé… ¿por qué no? Dime tus razones por las que no te importa. Veamos por qué.

Estoy feliz por las ideas que se presentan. Y miró.
Este es un trabajo en progreso que ha sido criticado durante un par de años. O más antes de mi tiempo en él.

Enviado desde mi iPhone usando Tapatalk

I just think that if a women's subunit is going to be created, why name it after a male character? For example, Phasma is an amazing soldier why not use her name.  Just my two cents. 

Like I said, I love the idea of creating a women's subunit, for example, it's hard not to compare your armor to what you see on screen and think back, why should I hide my curves, lol ?

Mara Jade once had a "rogue" Stromtrooper unit (and a Scout) under her, they call themself "The Hand of Judgment".

It is from Timothy Zahn's "Allegiance" and "Choices of One".

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome idea and a logical step for FISD! If I wasn't a man I'd really like for this to come into fruition so I could ask my very personal questions straight out to people with the same fysical experience as me! The FISD has always been about troopers helping troopers so I'd vote for let's make it happen! :dancing-trooper:

I can see all peoples perspective and points in the naming, and hope you can agree on a name that feels good for everyone! I personally kind of don't feel like I could suggest any names (although I think this part of a process like this is always super exciting) since the sub team is not for me specifically! However, I just think I'd come out and say that Vaders Valkyries sounds really cool and has the right "ring" and meaning, like it belongs in the Star Wars universe! I'm not qualified to even guess at this but it feels like people that are not defining as either or could get behind the name too, right?

If you'd want any additional help on maybe graphics or patches or anything like that - I'm at your disposal!

• Like 1

This initiative will 100% happen.

Like anything on FISD there is a plan, discussions have been had, and will continue to, so we get the right fit and feel and a home for all our beautiful TK women.

Lots more to reveal in the near future, but suffice to say this has the backing of the entire staff and we hope to build something great and further expand on our community.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, giskard8 said:

Mara Jade once had a "rogue" Stromtrooper unit (and a Scout) under her, they call themself "The Hand of Judgment".

It is from Timothy Zahn's "Allegiance" and "Choices of One".

That was a fantastic story. And the name is incredible.  The Hand of Judgement - it just sounds menacing. It would really stand out for a team name.

Not that I have or should have a say. I'm a guy. Just wanted to "me too" the enjoyment of Zahn's rogue trooper story.

-edit-

I told my wife (current ANH TIE pilot) about the possible women's team name and she flipped over Vader's Valkyries. She went so far as to state "I would build TK armor just to be on that team." So that's a vote. :trooper:

• Like 2

This initiative has my full support and I hope to see its creation come to fruition sooner than later. As the largest Detachment in the Legion, frankly it surprises me that this has not happened sooner, and I hope it will go a long way in combating the mentality that stormtrooper building is a 'boys club'.

While stormtrooper costumes aren't always as conducive to the shape of many women, having a resource that our female identifying members can turn to to receive relevant help in a respectful manner should have great value. I hope this initiative helps bring more women into the Detachment and helps make them feel more comfortable being here.

Big thanks to @Soulart for spearheading, and please let us know how we can support you.

Ps., my wife is a Jawa and their fireteam is just named after a bug, so let's not get hung up on the name to the point that it stops progress. I'd suggest just another cool, white-colored animal for our white armor, but most live in the snow... "Valkyries" alone/in general is awesome and I'm surprised it's not taken already! /$0.02

• Like 1

Another male here who isn't qualified to provide input on this matter other than to say that inclusion of and support for all our female-identifying peers should be of utmost importance, and I'm happy to see progress with this sub group initiative. Lets see this, and the larger FISD community thrive!

• Like 3

Very encouraging to see the engagement in this thread.

Perhaps a poll could be run to pick the name?

Once decided upon it would be great to add some info in the newsletter and in our social media.

• Like 2

Very encouraging to see the engagement in this thread.

Perhaps a poll could be run to pick the name?

Once decided upon it would be great to add some info in the newsletter and in our social media.

A poll could be a good idea although I think the first proposal is suuuper badasss!!
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Great initiative!! Count me in :) We definitely need to go for a group picture at SW Celebration in April. Cant wait to see all of you fierce women irl! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Now the new term is upon us I will work to bring this full circle.

DL announcement for the new term will be posted later today with an overview of the plan for this term.

I am excited to make this a reality and we have some lovely staff ready to be engaged and assist in growing or female presence on the forums.

• Like 8

• 11 months later...

Hello!

I am a new trooper and just found this thread.  It has been a year since the last post.  I am curious if this got off the ground?

I would love to be involved.

Thanks!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kris B said:

Hello!

I am a new trooper and just found this thread.  It has been a year since the last post.  I am curious if this got off the ground?

Thanks!

Hello, and welcome to FISD.

You can see the Sub Unit in this thread.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/255-vaders-valkyries-armor-open-discussion/

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Hello!

Thanks!

Welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome!!!!!
Life was super weird last year for me, and we / I could not give the Valkyries the love at dedication it needed. I was quite split as far as volunteer duties went.
I will be stepping away from several areas this upcoming term, and wish to devote time and energy here.

I’ll pop back in after elections are completed and a new term begins.
I hope everyone is well. Happy. Healthy.

• Like 2