Coach_MattLewis is requesting pre-approval review

Coach_MattLewis ANH Stunt TK

I am at the beginning of this process.  These are the photos of the armor, without putting them on yet for fitting. My goal was to try and earn Centurion out the gate.  I would appreciate any help or suggestions.  My next post with be in Armor when I feel it is ready.  I am being challenged by thighs needing to be tighter to my Cod, and the Shins. 

INFORMATION:

1.  First/last name: Matthew D. Lewis

2.  Future Garrison/Squad/Outpost or local area- Red Dune Sea Garrison

3.  Armor maker: Rob from Authentic Props, Canada

4.  Helmet maker: Rob from Authentic Props, Canada

5.  Cloth belt maker: Rob from Authentic Props, Canada

6.  Neck seal maker: Rob from Authentic Props, Canada

7.  Boot maker: Coshoes Etsy Store

9.  Blaster maker (if applicable: 3DPogo Etsy Store

10.  Gasket maker (if applicable)

11.  Height  (optional):5’11

12.  weight (optional) 230 pounds

13.  TK type (ANH Stunt/Hero. ESB, ROTJ. TFA etc.): ANH Stunt  TK

14.  Name(s) of any Trooper(s) who significantly helped with your build Steve:(Klaymorr)

WrzFSI8.jpg

19kmIq8.jpg

9jMcbr9.jpg

SscNOSf.jpg

tPaMtfE.jpg

lNg0pc8.jpg

nAtSHCd.jpg

KPhCQAz.jpg

y2I5pkv.jpg

qrAUeKs.jpg

LNkA4Eu.jpg

SUQANPv.jpg

axYRT8m.jpg

Z1S6qUU.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

Edited by Coach_MattLewis
Photos

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for reaching us for your pre-approval request.  

Your Helmets looks good but we really appreciate if you can change the images for the single photos instead of inserted in a document. Why for?  Single high quality  photos let us check in detail and give you the best feedback (you are planning to aim for Centurion)  , You may want to check others Pre-approval threads to see what they did.

The bellow link is a tutorial of how to add photos directly into the post using a photo host like Imgur (the most used here)  .

:salute:

Hi there, you don't need to post the CRL text with your images, just the images of the armor. For some reason all we can see is the helmet, preview shows other images though. We only need the images of the costume not the text.

access.png.24adf7cdab3c28b6f2cf6f2c72abdd9e.png

Have a look at other pre approval applications to see what images others have posted. Image host is certainly the way, update your images there then copy and paste into your post

Images usually requested by your GML:

Full length images:

Front

Side

Back

Side

Action

Helmet off.

Detailed images are not required until you submit of L2 and L3 (you must be approved at basic to apply, then you apply for L2, once approved you can request L3)

Images requested for the higher levels you can find here.

Hello Matthew, 

While its not really possible to do a full pre-approval review until you post the photos of you wearing the armor there is one thing I noticed. You mentioned that you are aiming for Centurion level out the gate. For Level II (and Level III) approval your boots cannot have a seam on the front of the boot.

From the CRL:

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• There is no seam present on the front of the boot.
  • Boots have a black sole

If you're looking to apply for EIB and Centurion upon Basic approval you will have to replace the boots for ones without seams.

Nice work with the photos of your armor! I look forward to seeing you all suited up!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:49 PM, GoofTrooper said:

Hello Matthew, 

While its not really possible to do a full pre-approval review until you post the photos of you wearing the armor there is one thing I noticed. You mentioned that you are aiming for Centurion level out the gate. For Level II (and Level III) approval your boots cannot have a seam on the front of the boot.

From the CRL:

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• There is no seam present on the front of the boot.
  • Boots have a black sole

If you're looking to apply for EIB and Centurion upon Basic approval you will have to replace the boots for ones without seams.

Nice work with the photos of your armor! I look forward to seeing you all suited up!

Thank you for your comments.  In keeping with “Work in Progress”, I wanted to document my progress from the box.  Hoping, what you mentioned about the boots would come to light. 

does anyone have a source for seamless white boots?

thanks for your input.

ML

1 hour ago, Coach_MattLewis said:

does anyone have a source for seamless white boots?

Imperial Boots, they open for ordering at beginning at the month

https://www.imperialboots.com/

• 2 months later...

FIRST SHOTS WITH THE CAMERA.

Hello All: I had my first test shots in full armor. 

My area of frustration is with the Thighs; they just don't feel high enough.

I noticed the photographer didn't help me on the belt and detonator looseness, I will double-check that.

The whole abdomen fitting of the chest plate and the ab plate.

This were just to test the camera, location, and detail.  Ill post official pictures this weekend

D2f4zMS.jpg

qrwEy4G.jpg

KEBr0qb.jpg

LNKEe2R.jpg

ngIRieK.jpg

jORzGLB.jpg

ZSAxs3b.jpg

QmgnQU6.jpg

q9XkqMK.jpg

nAa3GPT.jpg

Edited by Coach_MattLewis

Hey Matthew,

How are you keeping your thighs on? Are you using a belt and straps connected to the front of the thigh with loops that go through the belt? Or do the thighs connect to the inside of the abdomen armor with snaps or velcro? If they connect to the inside of the abdomen armor then that's probably why they seem too low, because your abdomen armor is sitting too low. It looks like you need to shorten the straps that connect the chest armor and the abdomen armor so the whole piece is pulled up closer to your chest. The top of the abdomen piece should sit under the bottom of the chest piece.

It looks like your belt is giving you trouble because it's not one solid piece in the front, Is that correct? The belt seems to be relatively thin fabric and not supporting the combined weight of the belt face, drop boxes, holster, and thermal detonator. One option there, which I did, is to get a new canvas belt with a plastic insert so it's more rigid and keeps its shape, and stays in position.  Rob Kittle makes very good belts which can be found here, https://imperialissue.com/product/canvas-belt.

Could you post a photo of the belt construction (from the reverse side), the inside of the chest connected to the abdomen, and how your thigh pieces are connected? Might be able to give more insight on how to correct the problems those pieces are giving you. 

It's cool to finally see some photos of you in your armor! You're getting there! 

Hey Matthew,

Sort of echoing some of the info GoofTrooper was mentioning. I wanted to illustrate a few adjustment items for your fitting that may help better.

The armor itself looks pretty solid. Only thing I had questions on was the belt as it looks like the canvas doesn’t go under the whole length of the plastic which is causing the issues where it’s sagging around the back. Is it possible to keep the belt without that length from behind the plastic? Sure, but it may run the risk of doing what it’s doing. I’m also not sure why the drop boxes are angled in so much on both sides, I wouldn’t expect them to naturally hang that way unless it’s also due to the angle which the canvas is bending from not being a whole piece behind the plastic.

See below I’ve marked the straps that you’d want to make shorter so that the chest piece rests over the top of the abdomen. The idea here is you want to have your abdomen sit higher for comfort as well as appearance. If your thighs are attached to your abdomen this may help, but I know in the past I’ve had armor that the thighs attached to the abdomen and actually brought it down no matter what. If that’s the case I’d recommend separating the rigging from the abdomen for your thighs and then rigging them to a belt system instead as that will keep them separate from your abdomen so they don’t pull it down and instead rely on a belt better fit to you to keep them up.

I also marked the blue imaginary areas I think your belt canvas is and why it’s bending downward. In green are where the drop boxes should ideally sit and I think that’s due to the canvas angle. Finally I think you have an elastic strap that is really thick on the shoulder straps (in blue rectangle) wasn’t too sure, but that looked like something that shouldn’t be there.

d060f321356aa64523fbe5cd267fc47c.jpg

Same ideas below the only other thing I noted is you’d want to try to have your abdomen sitting higher and your kidney doing so as well so that your posterior armor isn’t under the kidney but the edge of the bottom kidney and top posterior are side by side.

955cbc7bf13b9eabe786e41e2db0fc6a.png

Here’s some references.

Belt and Posterior placement

02ea8148fd14f96d338e6f4163771c7f.jpg
ed8e5ee6fcac2c0a263b31726fe833bf.jpg
1f0741000420a30067cd0c80b133c8a4.jpg
4ae5e751e541ca10286b33e224ddf6ea.jpg
7c4d0e9d67bb83009e02210f88607147.jpg

Shoulder strap

a8aae46cb6d2f797dd5b66f9e2012db7.webp

Chest over abdomen

f1badc882c8218a502221c6d7a85163c.jpg

I hope that gives you some ideas on rigging. If you have questions of course feel free to let us know as everyone is here to help

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback.  

I am training my “wrangler” to spot some stuff I couldn’t see.  Belt, boxes etc.

I am going to look at my torso strapping again today.   I was thankful for the marked pictures.  

back to work today.

Of course! Glad to help and looking forward to the progress. Great work thus far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll echo the above and request that you only have your blaster in your "action pose" photo. Holding it or even having it holstered blocks and/or changes the way the armor hangs, which is where you need the most help. The suit itself mostly looks good, and we'll do our best to help you get it adjusted properly and across the line!

It absolutely helps to have someone who knows TKs adjust you during your photos, so if you haven't reached out to your local unit for help, it definitely is worth it too. Please also include a photo of you from the back. Your shoulder bridges look crazy long but it kinda depends on how they sit as to how much you'll want to trim them.

Edited by TheRascalKing

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Coach,

You've definitely put in some work and love that you're shooting for Centurion. It's a major accomplishment and we are always looking to get more TKs up to that level.

A suggestion I would make on the thighs. I wear a black nylon belt that is under the armor and has straps that drop down and attach to the thighs with Velcro to keep them as high as possible. I like that it supports them separately rather than having straps that drop down from the armor.  This way it doesn't make my armor feel like it's dragging me down.

Looking at the shoulder bridges it appears that they are completely free floating?  They should be glued to the chest plate and free floating only in the back with a small elastic to keep them down back there. I'm guessing that is why you have that large elastic band on the front of them?

I'm not sure I've seen a set of TK boots with a seam down the front before. As Glen mentioned above, Imperial boots are great boots for TKs. I have a pair and they are very comfortable and necessary for your level 2 and 3 applications later.

I also tend to agree with the others on switching to a single piece canvas belt. It will relieve some of the strain that's currently going through just the plastic portion of the belt and make it less likely for your drop boxes to be misaligned and keep your thermal detonator in position.  I took have a kittel belt and it is fantastic. 

Hello Matthew....I have a question...Have you modified anything on the helmet?. Are you sure it's a helmet from Authentic Props, Canada?

ANH Stunt: A total of 8 cut outs in the teeth area of the frown are present.

Hero: Six total teeth on the frown are cut out and the frown is tapered at the ends.

In addition to other things (ear screws, lenses, joints...). The helmet, as it is, is not even approvable for basic level.

ANH Stunt

y53rtI6.png   D7gEK3C.jpg   Zqy25Bm.jpg                

Hero

KLROv2u.jpg   VNUshSg.jpg   u6SOHW3.jpg

Hi Matt, your helmet looks to be an EFX one, if you haven't done yet, there are some mods you would need to do for a basic level approval but under the  Hero CRL configuration  ,  since you're planning to go for Centurion Level I would recommend to change it for a more accurate one.  

GaHteu0.jpg

EFX HELMET   

SR7l1t3.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 2:51 PM, TKSpartan said:

Hi Matt, your helmet looks to be an EFX one, if you haven't done yet, there are some mods you would need to do for a basic level approval but under the  Hero CRL configuration  ,  since you're planning to go for Centurion Level I would recommend to change it for a more accurate one.  

GaHteu0.jpg

EFX HELMET   

SR7l1t3.jpg

I have developed the addiction to these helmets.  The event I did last night was trying out the cyber craft helmet.  I really liked it.  

Tz0XXtf.jpg

cM0gEdn.jpg

jCCfDDq.jpg

3cqfdOh.jpg

gtjY0cH.jpg

Hi Matt, just one thing.;)

If I can tell you something:blush:, if what you want is a valid helmet for the 501st, you can contact people(from your Garrison) in your area and they can advise you which is the best option, so you will avoid unnecessary expenses.:duim:

22 hours ago, Chemi said:

Hi Matt, just one thing.;)

If I can tell you something:blush:, if what you want is a valid helmet for the 501st, you can contact people(from your Garrison) in your area and they can advise you which is the best option, so you will avoid unnecessary expenses.:duim:

Thank you.  I kinda like the immersion into it. I am learning about so many things with this hobby.  It’s not unnecessary expense, I just think people are amazing and the work is impressive.  My first helmet, it has become my personal helmet to explore and deconstruct and plan out. 

now my thigh armor…..it can go screw itself….. I don’t like thigh Armour right now….

https://imgur.com/a/ZV6xxai

thanks for your encouragement.

• Like 1