Shiri's Denuo Novo First Order TK Build Thread

Shiri

Just now, Shiri said:

Though I have been wondering how I will fit into the inner chest piece once its glued together. 

That area is not scrutinized in the CRL so modifications can be made.

Here's a screen reference of the inner chest plate, note how low the neck opening is

dss.png.2421f70120af05f816b3dd48db74d804.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

That area is not scrutinized in the CRL so modifications can be made.

Here's a screen reference of the inner chest plate, note how low the neck opening is

dss.png.2421f70120af05f816b3dd48db74d804.png

Oh interesting!  Looks just like my kit!  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok made another rough cut, but this time, instead of using my dremel, I tried scoring with an xacto knife and then bending it apart as some of you suggested and it worked pretty well!

OeplIOV.jpgBzsE1nx.jpg

MRASXbu.jpg

o6we2Tw.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Shiri
  • Like 1

Aren’t you a little chubby to be a stormtrooper? Is what she would say to me.

I cut out the kidney sections and found I don’t fit!

How do I make this work?! Anyone have any experience with this?

cOaFGVb.jpg

7o4X3ru.png

AkcNxVK.jpg

X5FbAL1.jpg

5rkUh9Y.jpg

XDDYvIZ.jpg

W1pNHqY.jpg

ww13Cwm.jpg

0Lh9shu.jpg

f13r0t2.jpg

jQ6dv2c.jpg

xJrrmgD.jpg

You may have to add some side shims if the pieces are left with a gap.

You would have to glue the sides first, as the inner drop box recess are there. You could then cut the sides past the drop boxes and add a shim, glue and fill with ABS paste.

XDDYvIZ.thumb.jpg.13dc7ca8904bd42ef8278d746c1ab9bc.jpg0Lh9shu.thumb.jpg.a82097257ed8f53dc0b0d6aaec1f266d.jpg

This is OTTK but it would be a similar procedure to adding shims for FOTK, or should give you a good idea how to fill those gaps. 

I don't think I've seen an FOTK with shims as yet but many of the other makers have excess material on theirs which get's trimmed down, doesn't look like Denuo Novo has any extra.

• Like 1

You may have to add some side shims if the pieces are left with a gap.

You would have to glue the sides first, as the inner drop box recess are there. You could then cut the sides past the drop boxes and add a shim, glue and fill with ABS paste.
XDDYvIZ.thumb.jpg.13dc7ca8904bd42ef8278d746c1ab9bc.jpg0Lh9shu.thumb.jpg.a82097257ed8f53dc0b0d6aaec1f266d.jpg

This is OTTK but it would be a similar procedure to adding shims for FOTK, or should give you a good idea how to fill those gaps. 
I don't think I've seen an FOTK with shims as yet but many of the other makers have excess material on theirs which get's trimmed down, doesn't look like Denuo Novo has any extra.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Shiri said:

There’s a gap of about an inch or so on each side. Not sure how I can take a pic, maybe if I tape it?

As you can read in the CRL 

"The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam."

For he FOTK armor , building the  torso section is different from the OT TK. 

Opposite from the OTTK, ( that has openings to the sides) FOTK  got one in the back and the sides get permanently closed with no visible seam. The opening goes back and is covered by the TD mounting plate. see some images from other's Build Threads You can check HERE to see what others have done 

Use inner ABS  strips to join the Back to the AB

lRlm8OZ.jpg?2      gYpq4AY.jpg?1

VYrDcyJ.jpg?1   c4O8qag.jpg

You can check the Build threads to see the different  methods  used to the back closure.

:salute:

• Like 1

As you can read in the CRL 

"The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam."

For he FOTK armor , building the  torso section is different from the OT TK. 

Opposite from the OTTK, ( that has openings to the sides) FOTK  got one in the back and the sides get permanently closed with no visible seam. The opening goes back and is covered by the TD mounting plate. see some images from other's Build Threads You can check HERE to see what others have done 

Use inner ABS  strips to join the Back to the AB

lRlm8OZ.jpg?2      gYpq4AY.jpg?1

VYrDcyJ.jpg?1   c4O8qag.jpg

You can check the Build threads to see the different  methods  used to the back closure.

:salute:

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiri said:

How difficult is it to bend abs? I have a heat gun, will that be enough?

A heat gun wiil do the job, but be carefull to make some test with some plastic scrap pieces first .

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Shiri said:

Well I tried the heat gun on a scrap piece of abs and found it to be very difficult to precisely control and ended up deforming parts of the abs that I hadn’t wanted to. emoji53.png

Any better ways to bend abs?

For small areas I try to use blocks of wood so when heated you can clamp until it cools, it's very hard to control on large areas, it tends to just get wobbly, as it's already been formed to a specific mold. I've seen some make curved wooden plugs before for making return edges.

Another way is to bend your plastic by hand then tape around tightly, use some heat up and down around the curve, when cooled it should keep it's shape. You won't need very much of a curve if you and shims to the sides.

• Like 1

For small areas I try to use blocks of wood so when heated you can clamp until it cools, it's very hard to control on large areas, it tends to just get wobbly, as it's already been formed to a specific mold. I've seen some make curved wooden plugs before for making return edges.

Another way is to bend your plastic by hand then tape around tightly, use some heat up and down around the curve, when cooled it should keep it's shape. You won't need very much of a curve if you and shims to the sides.

Thanks!

On 12/21/2022 at 1:47 AM, Shiri said:

There’s a gap of about an inch or so on each side. Not sure how I can take a pic, maybe if I tape it?

If it’s only an inch or so on each side you don’t need to shim. You cut the back in half, glue the sides and the TD will cover the gap in the back. If you want a more firm connection/feeling you could ad fabric and a zipper to close the back. I’m building the same kit and it’s just plain awesome to work with :happyandcheerfulbirthday:

• Like 1

If it’s only an inch or so on each side you don’t need to shim. You cut the back in half, glue the sides and the TD will cover the gap in the back. If you want a more firm connection/feeling you could ad fabric and a zipper to close the back. I’m building the same kit and it’s just plain awesome to work with :happyandcheerfulbirthday:

Thanks!