Shiri's Denuo Novo First Order TK Build Thread

Shiri

Hi Everyone!

First time posting!  First Armor!!  First time tackling a project like this!  I never really got into cosplay much before the pandemic, but with nothing to do and nowhere to go and not much to spend my money on, I started buying costumes, Star Trek at first, but lately I have been venturing into Star Wars and cobbled together a half assed Luke from ROTJ and another half assed Han Solo from New Hope.  But when Denuo Novo had a sale on First Order Stormtrooper armor, resistance was futile!  :D

So I'll be documenting my build here in this thread, please let me know how I'm doing.  All feedback and criticism are welcome! 

Borrowing some formatting from Justin's post:

TLJ Armor

Armor = Denuo Novo ($700*)

Helmet = Habro TLJ plastic

Boot Maker = ???

Gloves = Endor Finders ($65)

Belt = Denuo Novo

Belt Pouches = Denuo Novo

Neck Seal = Denuo Novo

Holster = R2Dan (€75*)

Edited by Shiri
  • Like 2

I got my kit over a month ago and THEN started researching, so doing things a little backwards.  I've always wanted to do a Stormtrooper cosplay.  I've done a half assed Vader but eventually I'd like to build a Vader worthy of the 501st.

So I made my first rough cuts just now, let me know what you think!

Chest inner front:

Min6XuJ.jpg

dC0KReI.jpg

FGiKqBj.jpg

ZVxFR8Z.jpg

MmGwXcD.jpg

Chest back:

m1rNnYp.jpg

LOOWxMx.jpg

hgDlWK6.jpg

QZzythD.jpg

XS6bSu9.jpg

Edited by themaninthesuitcase
Fixed images.

1 hour ago, Shiri said:

I don't seem to be able to upload any more pics???

You are only allowed to attach so many images, many of us use a free image host like Imgur, upload your images there then copy and paste the link into your post.

A how to here

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:
You are only allowed to attach so many images, many of us use a free image host like Imgur, upload your images there then copy and paste the link into your post.
A how to here

Thanks Glen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Shiri

9 hours ago, Shiri said:

ok, I updated my earlier posts  and removed the pics and inserted links, but All I see are links rather than the pics. Is this the correct way to display pics? 

You've pasted them as hyper links (both text and a url to goto), not plain text which the system will convert to show an image.  I've fixed them for you.

• Like 1

Good work so far, but when rough cutting allow a little more room to the line and then clean up down to the final line with sand paper, or files. You don't appear to have gone too much to far but you've creeped over in a few places.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shiri said:

ok, I updated my earlier posts  and removed the pics and inserted links, but All I see are links rather than the pics. Is this the correct way to display pics? 

Try using the "direct link" option in Imgur, or if on computer right click on the image, select copy then post into your thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

You've pasted them as hyper links (both text and a url to goto), not plain text which the system will convert to show an image.  I've fixed them for you.

Thanks Chris!  So that I may insert them properly in the future, how did you fix my links?

1 hour ago, themaninthesuitcase said:

Good work so far, but when rough cutting allow a little more room to the line and then clean up down to the final line with sand paper, or files. You don't appear to have gone too much to far but you've creeped over in a few places.  

In my research, I read that return edges are not required, so I went with minimal edges in my cutting.  Is this not correct?  Thanks again!

Just now, Shiri said:

In my research, I read that return edges are not required, so I went with minimal edges in my cutting.  Is this not correct?  Thanks again!

For FOTK's you still need some return edges in some places, also depends how the armor fits you and your gaskets.

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-helmet-large.4909A6AA-796F-4C20-BA00-BF75ACCB8F

Chest and yoke

You will also find return edges are pretty much the same between TFA and TLJ so you could check both galleries for references 

TFA https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/27-tfa-tk-reference/

TLJ https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/14-tlj-tk-reference/

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Try using the "direct link" option in Imgur, or if on computer right click on the image, select copy then post into your thread.

I installed the imgur app on my iphone and the only option I see is copy link or copy post link.  I used copy link, should I have used the other option?  I didn't see direct link as an option.

Just now, Shiri said:

I installed the imgur app on my iphone and the only option I see is copy link or copy post link.  I used copy link, should I have used the other option?  I didn't see direct link as an option.

I don't use mobile, there is a section in the how to on using it with mobiles:

Use the phone app to upload to Imgur right from your phone (set it to private and you can post them here, but they won't be searchable in their feed, and you don't have to title them).  On each image on the Imgur in your Gallery, click it, and copy the BBCode tab *** and paste it into your post.  It won't show while writing your post, but will show after you hit "Submit Reply".  Super easy. And if people want to see a bigger version, clicking on it takes them to it.

fK1XYzn.png?2 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For FOTK's you still need some return edges in some places, also depends how the armor fits you and your gaskets.

large.star-wars-tfa-stormtrooper-helmet-large.4909A6AA-796F-4C20-BA00-BF75ACCB8F

Chest and yoke

You will also find return edges are pretty much the same between TFA and TLJ so you could check both galleries for references 

TFA https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/27-tfa-tk-reference/

TLJ https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/14-tlj-tk-reference/

Oops, well, too late for these two parts, but I will keep larger edges on future cuts.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't use mobile, there is a section in the how to on using it with mobiles:

Use the phone app to upload to Imgur right from your phone (set it to private and you can post them here, but they won't be searchable in their feed, and you don't have to title them).  On each image on the Imgur in your Gallery, click it, and copy the BBCode tab *** and paste it into your post.  It won't show while writing your post, but will show after you hit "Submit Reply".  Super easy. And if people want to see a bigger version, clicking on it takes them to it.

fK1XYzn.png?2 

Ah, ok, so I need to use a combo of app and desktop site.  Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, Shiri said:

Oops, well, too late for these two parts, but I will keep larger edges on future cuts.  Thanks again!

You do need a tab (for higher level approval, which should go through the return edge of the yoke to help your shoulder bell sit aligned with the yoke) which you may not be able to do now BUT I didn't do mine that way, I bent a support using some heat and glued underneath the return edge and ran the elastic underneath too

3E71YXP.jpg

Note the tab and also elastic through the side return edge.

large.962313406_TFAShoulderbarsupport6.JTK_TFA_yoke_supporttab_detail.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You do need a tab (for higher level approval, which should go through the return edge of the yoke to help your shoulder bell sit aligned with the yoke) which you may not be able to do now BUT I didn't do mine that way, I bent a support using some heat and glued underneath the return edge and ran the elastic underneath too

3E71YXP.jpg

Note the tab and also elastic through the side return edge.

large.962313406_TFAShoulderbarsupport6.JTK_TFA_yoke_supporttab_detail.png

I wasn't planning to go for higher levels, so hopefully, I should be ok.  Do I need the tab for basic approval?  Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Shiri said:

I wasn't planning to go for higher levels, so hopefully, I should be ok.  Do I need the tab for basic approval?  Thanks again!

Not for basic approval :duim:

• Like 1

Looking good @Shiri! Nice to see more builds-keep up the good work. I found I was gung ho for like 4 months, then lost steam, then picked it up again after a month long build break. I got mine done in 6 months. ;)

Depending on your head/noggin size, most of us are unable to get through the provided neck opening. You will want to trim the neckline as close as you can then sand those edges to allow for more max clearance. You may even have to cut away some of the "front chest interior" for your head to fit through. Its hard to explain but I usually put my head through in the front chest, then pull my neck back into the opening, then attach the chest plate to cover that opening. (My pics below) Mine is still very tight and I brush my nose each time I don and doff it! :lol:

i0UtxxO.jpg

1mx63dD.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 7:23 AM, DocDan said:

Looking good @Shiri! Nice to see more builds-keep up the good work. I found I was gung ho for like 4 months, then lost steam, then picked it up again after a month long build break. I got mine done in 6 months. ;)

Depending on your head/noggin size, most of us are unable to get through the provided neck opening. You will want to trim the neckline as close as you can then sand those edges to allow for more max clearance. You may even have to cut away some of the "front chest interior" for your head to fit through. Its hard to explain but I usually put my head through in the front chest, then pull my neck back into the opening, then attach the chest plate to cover that opening. (My pics below) Mine is still very tight and I brush my nose each time I don and doff it! :lol:

i0UtxxO.jpg

1mx63dD.jpg

Interesting!  I hadn't considered that.  Though I have been wondering how I will fit into the inner chest piece once its glued together.  My shoulders are much wider than it is.