ANH Stunt "fitting/adjustment" thread (AP)

BAZINGA

2 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

Here is the photo of my Velcro on the straps 

6sPuK9p.jpg

You did the strap reinforcement.  I wonder if I would have problems with the single snap system I have and an added force transferred to the plastic strap when attaching to it.  Bart

23 hours ago, Bartman said:

You did the strap reinforcement.  I wonder if I would have problems with the single snap system I have and an added force transferred to the plastic strap when attaching to it.  Bart

I know a lot of people do 1 snap and get away with it. If you are active in your costume , 2 is probably better. When I did the blast a trooper things were popping all over the place. When just standing around, there is little risk of snap failure. The elastic allows for some release of the force on the snap as well. 

42 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Any other ideas to close this up?  It doesn't always open up.  I already tightened the elastic and added the tongue and groove.  Both helped a lot, but still not perfect.  Bart

I would think you need to either get a stronger or shorter elastic, if that doesn’t work, a nylon strap will hold it tight but may make you lose a bit of flexibility of your armour is snug. 

This is the nylon stitch in that @revlimiter did which was easier than the velcro stitching.  I'd say there is an improvement for sure on the shoulder gap to strap.  The only other thing I could do to try and bring it even closer is to shorten the strap by a 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch so the question is am I splitting straws here now or is this quite decent?

You alll know I'm obsessed about the arms.  I can soon write a book on arm adjustments.  There must be an intervention soon or I'm doomed.

Bart

btKUsDb.jpg

dSKOUPK.jpg

• Like 2

Well been waiting to tell you all since this morning.  I got word that my basic armor is good for the 501st so I guess it is all official now.  Many thanks to those that guided me through the necessary fitting adjustments along the way and helping me not lose my head in the details.  I'll call you all out as things move forward.

I'll be TK23108 which was just the day I submitted my photos to my GML.   It seemed to roll off the tongue nice too.   I'm not sure if I can change my user name here, but on the 501st I'm going to go as "Bazinga" because it has so many connections to me and those that really know me.  A local TK to me suggested it.

Now I know there are some things about my armor that is not ideal and I'd like to start working on those fixes now that the pressure is off.

Here we go.

My forearms look horrid from the back and part of that is the way I was standing here.  The fact of the matter is I do have skinny arms, but the forearms actually do fit quite well.  There is just a bit of extra space so it's not like they are large on me.  When my arm is bent it is much better and standing like this isn't going to be a thing most of the time.  If I can improve it though I will.  I already adjusted the padding placement to better centre the circumference and I can stop standing like a sloth.  I find the top of the forearm does pinch a bit into my elbow so considering, once again, lowering the biceps just a bit and shorten the strap between the bicep and forearm just a bit more.  Perhaps also ditch the 2" elastic and just go with 1" directly under the cover strip?  Thoughts?

Second is the on again/off again gap between the back and the kidney plate.  I've already done two strap adjustments to shrink it up.  It's not bad and it, again, moves a bit when I move.  Do I do a third round of tightening or add a third strap in the middle or nothing or ?

Third.  The little gaps at the bottom of the thighs under the cover strip.  Am I understanding correctly that they should be filled and sanded smooth for higher levels or is that just for noticeably large gaps? 

Four.  I know the thighs are too high on the back to the butt plate and I'm 99% sure I can just fix this with the strapping position.  I wanted to err on the side of tight over too big of a gap for the photos.

Five.  Shoulders haven't had any fixes to rotate them anywhere yet.

EwVszPM.jpg

This gap is my latest OCD.  I've repositioned the snap twice and added the tongue and groove system to prevent overlap.  That worked really good.  This may always open up a bit when I move, but should I try to tighten the strap even more or is there another fix that might beat it?

k0Ok67I.jpg?1

Finally, not sure what you can do to fix this one, but here I am.  Bart

HQqg248.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations and welcome to the ranks trooper. I see you've already requested higher access ;) 

Some foam on the inner sides towards the top of the forearms should help centralise them and make them look more filled. Remember too that most wont' see your from behind ;) 

EwVszPM.jpg

Things do tend to move around, personally I wouldn't worry about this gap

k0Ok67I.jpg?1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morgi said:

Congratulations on your Approval and welcome to the Legion! I'm sure we'll see higher level submissions very soon :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

I know I said I only cared about getting to basic intact, but that was two days ago.  Now I'm thinking EIB.  Bart

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Congratulations, Bart!  Great job. Now we need to find you an event to troop. :duim:  Time to start harassing Giles. Lol. 

Thank you and thanks again for all the encouragement and patience because you were the first to really get peppered with the questions!

Got to start small.  I'll be pretty awkward at first just moving around in it!  Might need to do more table duty first and build up stamina.

Bart

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Congratulations and welcome to the ranks trooper. I see you've already requested higher access ;) 

Some foam on the inner sides towards the top of the forearms should help centralise them and make them look more filled. Remember too that most wont' see your from behind ;) 

EwVszPM.jpg

Things do tend to move around, personally I wouldn't worry about this gap

k0Ok67I.jpg?1

Thank you.  Okay, I will leave things as is for now and see how it goes.  I have been making padding adjustments every time I wear it and it has improved somewhat in appearance.  Bart

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bartman said:

Well been waiting to tell you all since this morning.  I got word that my basic armor is good for the 501st so I guess it is all official now.

[...]

Second is the on again/off again gap between the back and the kidney plate.  I've already done two strap adjustments to shrink it up.  It's not bad and it, again, moves a bit when I move.  Do I do a third round of tightening or add a third strap in the middle or nothing or ?

Third.  The little gaps at the bottom of the thighs under the cover strip.  Am I understanding correctly that they should be filled and sanded smooth for higher levels or is that just for noticeably large gaps? 

Four.  I know the thighs are too high on the back to the butt plate and I'm 99% sure I can just fix this with the strapping position.  I wanted to err on the side of tight over too big of a gap for the photos.

Hi Bart, and many congrats on your approval! Here are my thoughts on the points you make:

2) In your photo the back and kidney appear to be wed pretty well. I suppose it's natural for them to stretch apart then come back together while walking and such. If the elastic is taught between the pieces, then I'd leave it. If the back piece is literally resting (weight-bearing) on the kidney, then cinching it a bit might be good.

3) Yes, the seams on the thigh pieces should generally be closed up.

4) Good decision on erring on the high side, at least for approval. Now for comfort and mobility you'll definitely want to either lower them, or shave off the top of the back of the thighs. I say just the back because the fronts appear to be at a good height aesthetically; but the minimal space between them and the cod may also be restricting.

Hope this helps, and congrats again Trooper! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

12 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hi Bart, and many congrats on your approval! Here are my thoughts on the points you make:

2) In your photo the back and kidney appear to be wed pretty well. I suppose it's natural for them to stretch apart then come back together while walking and such. If the elastic is taught between the pieces, then I'd leave it. If the back piece is literally resting (weight-bearing) on the kidney, then cinching it a bit might be good.

3) Yes, the seams on the thigh pieces should generally be closed up.

4) Good decision on erring on the high side, at least for approval. Now for comfort and mobility you'll definitely want to either lower them, or shave off the top of the back of the thighs. I say just the back because the fronts appear to be at a good height aesthetically; but the minimal space between them and the cod may also be restricting.

Hope this helps, and congrats again Trooper! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Hi and congrats to you as well!  Kind of feels special that mine happened around that same time as yours!

2) Yes to the taunt.  It's an OCD thing.  Always worried how it compares to everyone else.  I looked at so many photos of people's backsides, thighs and crotch spacing in underwear it's embarrassing!  It will make for good stories later on though.

3)  I was pretty sure on that.  Already had been preparing to tackle that now that basic is not good enough.  Overall that now seems like one of the easier things to address.

4) I have a harness now instead of a belt for the thighs.  So, if that works well I should have more adjustment room to lower.  I think a half inch down would still leave enough room at the knees and give me the butt space too.  I'd like to not cut anything if possible.  Too stressful to this day making any cuts.

The one thing that I was super happy with was the helmet height.  I got rid off all padding in the top and put in a hard hat suspension system.  Dropped it right into the zone and locks it nice to my inflated head so no bobble head feeling anymore!

Bart

• Like 1