E-11 Help

I don't have access to all of the topics for gluing a printed E-11 and was wondering what's the best route for this seeing that I'm getting my E- 11 kit before my BBB day. not sure what to use for this. I've seen soldering irons, but I've also seen where the suggest gluing. Which way should I go?

There are quite a few options, Terry.  I normally use 5 minute epoxy mixed a tiny bit at a time.  I have also used CA (super) glue for certain areas, but I would advise using the gel type, as it doesn't run and any excess can be wiped off before it dries.  Some use E-6000, but that has to be clamped for at least 12 hours while it cures.  The advantage of E-6000 is that the bond never gets brittle but will still hold fast.

Before gluing anything, I would highly suggest smoothing out the printed pieces as much as possible (once everything is attached it is much more difficult).  I have a thread here which will help, and these 2 items will come in mighty handy:

QwSK8D2.jpg   4UCek7n.jpg?1

Here is a link that will be helpful as well:  

Blaster Reference

Be sure to post up photos of any issues you have before gluing (trust me) and if you have any questions, just ask!

• Like 1

For 3D prints I use gorilla superglue with a spray kicker, dries pretty much instantaneity, you do need to make sure you have all parts aligned properly though ;) I also add a small V between the pieces then fill with bondo, helps to cover join line.

BP80569693-clear.jpg-SPOTWF-productHero? b14cc8ba21f7ce454f4c71fa6c25bd5939d6d38f

5 hours ago, dblcross said:

Thanks guys. I was at a loss as to what to do.

If you have the time, I would suggest starting a build thread in this area.  That way you can ask all the questions you want to as well as post up photos.  We LOVE photos! :D

This thread will help for posting pics on imgur.  It's easy once you get the hang of it, and best of all, it's free!

Terry,
I do a lot of 3D printing and have found that a good CA glue works best. Actually, I know this post is from a different detachment forum, but our very own @11b30b4, did an excellent analysis on this subject back in 2020. Check out page 2 for his breakdown of different bonding techniques:
http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21220-11b30b4-shoretrooper-wip-mr-pauls-3d-print-files/page/2/

So, a couple items from personal experience: I would need to know what type filament you're using for this print. PLA has to be finished much differently than PETG, ABS, or even Carbon Fiber PLA. You can plastic weld the pieces with a soldering iron, but if you're working with PLA, you won't be able to sand down those weld marks cleanly. Next, I'd like to know what printer you're using. This doesn't seem like a factor in determining how to glue pieces, but it helps to know how big your print surface is, and in turn, the pieces are that you're gluing. With blasters, you really want to print some parts in one piece, i.e. the barrel, but this requires a very tall print surface. Since the barrel has cooling holes, there's not much surface to glue which causes a lot of weak seams that break at the slightest bump. If you can get away with printing this in one piece, or coming up with an alternative barrel, that helps. 

Just my two cents, but I did want to leave you with these two pictures. The first is the F-11D Barrel with Integrated T-tracks printed in CF PLA. This is a good example because the one-piece barrel along with the T-tracks created a cery solid piece that didn't require soldering or gluing. Next is a very raw print of the E-10 variant from Andor. Again, I printed the long barrel in one piece in order to avoid splicing anything together and it's pretty solid.  

CxuvZEO.jpg

u1NLrmv.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

Next is a very raw print of the E-10 variant from Andor. Again, I printed the long barrel in one piece in order to avoid splicing anything together and it's pretty solid. 

Oh boy, I've been looking for a source for an Andor E-10!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

So, a couple items from personal experience: I would need to know what type filament you're using for this print. PLA has to be finished much differently than PETG, ABS, or even Carbon Fiber PLA. You can plastic weld the pieces with a soldering iron, but if you're working with PLA, you won't be able to sand down those weld marks cleanly. Next, I'd like to know what printer you're using. This doesn't seem like a factor in determining how to glue pieces, but it helps to know how big your print surface is, and in turn, the pieces are that you're gluing. With blasters, you really want to print some parts in one piece, i.e. the barrel, but this requires a very tall print surface. Since the barrel has cooling holes, there's not much surface to glue which causes a lot of weak seams that break at the slightest bump. If you can get away with printing this in one piece, or coming up with an alternative barrel, that helps. 

It's a PLA printed Kit from Etsy coming from Germany. https://www.etsy.com/listing/618403772/e-11-blaster-kit-star-wars-my3dbase?ref=yr_purchases Seeing as how I'm already burning alot of cash on this, my wife would turn inside out If I started down that 3D printed hole. Thanks for the info!

17 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Oh boy, I've been looking for a source for an Andor E-10!

I just checked Chris’s Thingiverse page and it doesn’t look like he’s posted this one yet. We did make a couple last minute changes, but everything should be set now. I have additional pics available on the Star Wars Blaster Build Group on FB.

I’ll check with him and see what he’s doing with the files and then let you know. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

I just checked Chris’s Thingiverse page and it doesn’t look like he’s posted this one yet. We did make a couple last minute changes, but everything should be set now. I have additional pics available on the Star Wars Blaster Build Group on FB.

I’ll check with him and see what he’s doing with the files and then let you know. 

I wonder if they could be shared here too hint hint ;) 

On 12/6/2022 at 4:57 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I wonder if they could be shared here too hint hint ;)

Well, apparently he was waiting on me to give the green light before sharing, which I thought I had done. :lol: However, we just made another change that’ll make assembly a lot easier, so give me a couple days and I’ll post a few things in the 3d repository. 

Also… anyone looking for a new SE-14R? We’re currently developing/ test printing OT and Rogue One/ New Generation versions that are looking phenomenal. 

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I’ll start a new one in the 3d forum when these are officially ready.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigJasoni said:

Well, apparently he was waiting on me to give the green light before sharing, which I thought I had done. :lol: However, we just made another change that’ll make assembly a lot easier, so give me a couple days and I’ll post a few things in the 3d repository. 

Also… anyone looking for a new SE-14R? We’re currently developing/ test printing OT and Rogue One/ New Generation versions that are looking phenomenal. 

:jc_doublethumbup: