TI-6143

My hand guard

I'm slowly getting my TK armor together. I was at an event not too long ago when I saw a kid high-5 a trooper, and the trooper's hand guard popped right off. I decided then I probably don't want to use Velcro to stick my hand guards to the back of my gloves. So I took some spare ABS and used it to secure double elastic straps.

First, I glued very tiny bits of ABS near the inside of the wrist. These bits are about 1” x 1/4”. These just make a level surface to glue the main ABS strips. Then I sewed four straps of elastic to make the loops. Next, I glued and clamped one ABS strip at a time until they were all done. I used a pair of elastic straps on each one. It fits with one strap at the wrist, and one across the palm. I'm hoping this will make them very secure, and unlikely to slide off.

I used Plastic Welder. When clamping, I use a quick release grip. I wrapped a layer of standard kitchen plastic wrap around the grips. That way if the glue would stick, I could tear off the plastic, and the hand guard wouldn't be permanently glued to my clamp.

hand1.jpg

hand2.jpg

clamp1.jpg

Interesting. Having a strip below the thumb makes the hand guard more secure on the trooper. Perhaps foolish questions ... is the mod comfortable? If the elastic becomes worn out, is it easy to change the strips out?

Wow - this is really cool.

"Why didn't I think of that". Will give it a go on my kit as well.

Perhaps foolish questions ... is the mod comfortable? If the elastic becomes worn out, is it easy to change the strips out?

While I haven't worn it for any great length of time, it was comfortable when I tried it on. I was careful when I made the elastic straps so that they were snug, but not too tight.

If the elastic wears out? I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to wait and see.

Should be easy enough to just loop in new elastic and sew, glue, etc.

Mine is similar, I have a thick bit around the back of my hand and a thinner piece of elastic which goes around my middle finger only. I just hot glued mine on and covered with flffy velcro for comfort B)

Mine is similar, I have a thick bit around the back of my hand and a thinner piece of elastic which goes around my middle finger only. I just hot glued mine on and covered with flffy velcro for comfort B)

mines like marcel's. a 3/4 wide elastic at the wrist, and a 1/4 wide elastic in the middle at front i slip my middle finger into as i slip it on. i attached my elastic via pop rivots to a piece of abs and then abs glued the piec in place. i can post a pic later if anyone wants to see it.

i then i tested the fit, and moved around and such, and seems to work great, stays put, doesnt move, and seems to be very secure to my hand.

I have two straps on my hand-plates as well, one at the wrist and one going across my palm. Nice and sturdy, pretty comfy too, well at least as comfy as anything TK is. :lol: Mine are attached similar to the way Lan-Ed described. Elastic riveted to a small piece of ABS and then glued to the plate. I tried velcro, but it wont hold on the elastic.

Loving the finger one:)

I use two straps too but around my palm and wrist

as do i as it seems more comfortable...but then again whatever suits the wearer is correct isn't it?

Mines set up not too much unlike that, but the wrist strap has a velcro sewn on. Its worked really well for me so far and its extremely stable.

Yes thanks for these tips...after my first trooping, this was one of my problems the hand guard was always out of place....I will certainly try one of these

I thought about doing this, but didn't like the idea of the straps being visible if I were to shake someones hand or something. I went with the industrial sticky velco, it adhered to my glove like no-ones business and to the inside of the guard. Didn't move at all when I wore it out to take my kids trick-or-treating. Still stuck like glue, takes a lot of coaxing to get it off. Either ways works..

DD.