New, but not new....

m3tal_man84

Hey folks! It's been a bit since I was around these parts. I had received my BBB of goodies back in 2018 and begin my journey. Things came to a halt in 2019, life got busy and the build got put on the back burner. Now 2022, life is still busy, but I am now able to spend time on the build. So back at it I go!

Will post a few pictures when I get home later!

Have a question though, probably one of many... which system does everyone prefer underneath the torso armor, straps or hooks? Not sure what to purchase...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Hi Andy and welcome back !! 

Bellow I found some threads about strapping systems that could be useful for you. Additional the first one is a general index for different TK related topics.

Good luck and looking forward for your advances.  :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Hello and welcome back, real life always comes first.

I found straps/snaps to be a little kinder on your armor, the bracket bolt/screw system although accurate can crack between the bolts/screws depending on the thickness of your armor and how hard you troop in it.

I also like to use double snaps, occasionally you can have one fail and have a second snap there helps you to still be able to troop.

Basic placement of the strapping and double snaps

R63O0di.jpg

• Like 1

Hello and welcome back, real life always comes first.

I found straps/snaps to be a little kinder on your armor, the bracket bolt/screw system although accurate can crack between the bolts/screws depending on the thickness of your armor and how hard you troop in it.

I also like to use double snaps, occasionally you can have one fail and have a second snap there helps you to still be able to troop.

Basic placement of the strapping and double snaps

R63O0di.thumb.jpg.626f25b3771875c2e9968dd20185fc5c.jpg
I love the diagram, thank you!

• Like 1

Hi Andy and welcome back !! 

Bellow I found some threads about strapping systems that could be useful for you. Additional the first one is a general index for different TK related topics.

Good luck and looking forward for your advances.  :jc_doublethumbup:

[/url]  

Thank you for the links!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m3tal_man84 said:

I love the diagram, thank you!

Just note on the diagram it only shows single snaps on the shoulder bells, bicep and forearms, personally I add double here too, I've had a snap come off at the shoulder straps and have the second snap there saved me from not being able to troop at an event ;) 

• Like 1

Just note on the diagram it only shows single snaps on the shoulder bells, bicep and forearms, personally I add double here too, I've had a snap come off at the shoulder straps and have the second snap there saved me from not being able to troop at an event  
Yeah, I am definitely going to be doing the double snaps then. If I wanted to make those myself instead of buying the straps from TrooperBay or somewheres, is there a link to custom made ones in here??

1 hour ago, m3tal_man84 said:

Yeah, I am definitely going to be doing the double snaps then. If I wanted to make those myself instead of buying the straps from TrooperBay or somewheres, is there a link to custom made ones in here??

Strapping Systems

Rivet Setting 101 by justjoseph63 (Print PDF)

Snap Setting 101 by justjoseph63 (Print PDF)

Snap Setting Hardware Solutions by TheRascalKing

E6000 and Snaps Discussion by Harbinger, Snap Options by ukswrath

Snaps with Rivet Heads by TheSwede

Split Rivet Placement by DroidHunter

How to Use a Rivet Tool by huttman

How to Make Snap Plates by stukatrooper

Elastic ABS Reinforcement by Cricket

A must when building a TK

6 hours ago, m3tal_man84 said:

So I am a little worried about my ab section connecting with my kidney piece. It's definitely not going to be flush. Is that a problem against me getting into the 501st?? It's been 4 years, my body has changed slightly from when I bought this thing... lol

When in doubt check with the CRL's ;) 

Abdomen Armor
  • The abdomen armor has a button area that matches the color pattern shown (3 blue + 6 gray); buttons are approximately 7/16" (11mm) in diameter.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wide.
    • Any shims used to achieve this effect are of a similar material and color as the abdomen and kidney armor. Shims fit flush and seams are allowed.
  • A split (bifurcated) or single cap rivet is present on the lower tab (cod area) of the abdomen armor.
    • Rivet does not need to be functional.
    • Rivet on must be brass or silver in color, approximately 5/16" (8mm) in diameter and is not painted.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor. Abdominal and Kidney Plate align horizontally at top.
    • A single visible seam line is present.

Some add side shims so this gap is reduced, here's just a few threads on how to achieve this

When in doubt check with the CRL's  
Abdomen Armor
  • The abdomen armor has a button area that matches the color pattern shown (3 blue + 6 gray); buttons are approximately 7/16" (11mm) in diameter.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wide.
    • Any shims used to achieve this effect are of a similar material and color as the abdomen and kidney armor. Shims fit flush and seams are allowed.
  • A split (bifurcated) or single cap rivet is present on the lower tab (cod area) of the abdomen armor.
    • Rivet does not need to be functional.
    • Rivet on must be brass or silver in color, approximately 5/16" (8mm) in diameter and is not painted.
OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):
  • Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor. Abdominal and Kidney Plate align horizontally at top.
    • A single visible seam line is present.

Some add side shims so this gap is reduced, here's just a few threads on how to achieve this

Here is what it looks like.. that's the gap right now on both sides....
e7d281992d5bf03af66603233bf241cf.jpg9de44563b69d28e236be92a7fd48dead.jpg

I would add side shims to the Kidney, the gap is a little large, you may get basic approval as is but you would need to discuss that with your GML, some are a little stricter than others.

cd9401eb337b565554779025562ee634.jpg

lA0qpzp.jpg?1  K0dBed7.jpg?1  0y5NexF.jpg?1

Also you could trim some return edge off the backplate, you have quite a lot of material still there

233c19c776d6c93186c8c3a199cd01c2.jpg  JhOqd1R.jpg?1

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, m3tal_man84 said:

How much trimming should I do for the back plate?? 7fd4c08d0ad246ea1a0b892ff5b679b8.jpg6d1828112e07f06c8e0bebbdfd86c5cc.jpg1088fd4fa49f729c5d5a38265febe1f6.jpg

You can still trim a little more. check out the bellow thread please. it will be helpful for the other armor parts too.

I normally leave about 1/4 inch or less on the sides of the back plate.  For the bottoms I leave 1 cm (3/8") and the same on the top of the kidney.

image.jpeg.5d61ac6ff29cc5ea24bf3583886326cf.jpeg         image.jpeg.e8448a629d172476a8e3808511707486.jpeg