Doggydoc’s Jimmiroquai TFA FO stormtrooper build thread.

Doggydoc

I figured that I would start this now even though it will be a while before I actually start building. I want to document everything from the start to show time lines to receive items. 

Armour

Jimmiroquai TFA FOTK kit

Ordered on November 10, 2022

Shipped on Dec 10, 2022

Arrived December 16, 2022

Boots

Crowprops TK Trooper FO/R1 Short Boots.

https://crowprops.bigcartel.com/product/fo-r1-tk

Ordered November 11, 2022

Shipped Jan 17, 2023

Arrived Jan 25, 2023

Gloves

Endor Finders Stormtrooper Gloves (Black stitching)
https://www.endorfinders.com/shop/tfa-stormtrooper-gloves?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer_notification
Ordered November 11, 2022

Arrived November 28, 2022

Rubber Gaskets

Thorsson and Associates Workshop

http://www.tandaworkshop.com/

sthorsson99@yahoo.com

Ordered November 29, 2022

Shipped December 29, 2022 (was ready to ship Dec 7 but I missed the notification for final payment)

Arrived January 11, 2023. 

Metal Holster

R2Dan - Dantooine Prop Collecting

Ordered November 29, 2022

Arrived December 30, 2022

Edited by Doggydoc
  • Like 2

Since I am going to build this for centurion, I will need to get rubber gaskets. This seems to be a challenge as Imperial gaskets is no longer making them.  Does anyone know of another place to source good rubber gaskets, or will I need to figure out a way to make them myself?

8 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

Since I am going to build this for centurion, I will need to get rubber gaskets. This seems to be a challenge as Imperial gaskets is no longer making them.  Does anyone know of another place to source good rubber gaskets, or will I need to figure out a way to make them myself?

Perhaps here:

Thorsson & Associates 

Web: http://www.tandaworkshop.com/

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Thorsson-Associates-Workshop-112076042142986

Email: sthorsson99@yahoo.com

148928979_4348259258524622_3438734059193133025_n.jpg

• Like 2

• Doggydoc changed the title to Doggydoc’s Jimmiroquai TFA FO stormtrooper build thread.

Gloves arrived yesterday from Endor Finders.  Very happy with the quality of the gloves.  There is a bit of bleeding of the black onto the white, which they say will happen on their website.  Nothing that a bit of polish / cleaner wont fix I assume.

Such a big upgrade from the dishwashing gloves the original TK's wore.

W6sXspa.jpg

• Like 3

The first of 2 of my Big Brown Boxes arrived today. The second is close behind. The pieces look great, the armour feels very sturdy and was very well packed and I did put the helmet on and run around the house if I am being completely honest. 

0r4V4W7.jpg

gcUB45s.jpg

Edited by Doggydoc
  • Like 6

The rest of the armour arrived today. Again, very happy with the quality. Looks like I will need to make some adjustments to the leg and arm parts as they are a bit too small. I can’t get my hand through the wrist opening. 

one other thing I am realizing is that when you try pieces on, the fibreglass is very itchy. I likely will coat the inside with plastidip, unless someone has a better solution. 

HViSLEv.jpg

0WrDGxT.jpg

I also ordered a death trooper kit at the same time, which I am going to build first, so this one will be on hold for a bit.

uowP8T3.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Still not starting the FOTK yet but I officially started my deathtrooper today. Since this will be relevant for both builds, I am adding it to this build thread.

So, when you order a fibreglass armour kit and BBB day arrives…. Even though it is almost irresistible to put the pieces on, it’s not a great idea as it is similar to rolling in fibreglass.  I was itchy for days.

I decided to coat the inside of the armour with plastidip to seal in the fibres.  The issue is that it is winter here and I can not spray outside.  The solution.  Build a spray tent in the basement.

I made a square frame with 3/4” PVC pipe and attached it to the metal support beams with rare earth magnets.  Then draped plastic sheeting over the frame and closed the seams with tape.  

since there is no ventilation, you need to wear a respirator mask  in there but it seems to be working well so far.

Zr4EVlT.jpg

2TvlXgY.jpg

xkoHgwA.jpg

ASwr4CH.jpg

• Like 4

Sealing the inside of the armor is a great idea, I've done this on two of Jim's kits, I would advise trimming first, only as it can get pretty messy ;) 

Nice looking spray booth, where there's a will there's a way :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

I did not have positive results with Plastidip to seal my fiberglass and would not recommend it. I just brushed a couple of thin coats of flexible resin on all the inside surfaces and it went much better. I also would finish all trimming before doing so, so you can get the edges as well. Just gotta wear gloves and long sleeves or a bunny suit, and a respirator 100% of the time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

Rubber gaskets arrived today from Thorsson and Associates Workshop.

‘They are well made and backed with neoprene, so they may not be too uncomfortable. 

Fjeutes.jpg

Been waiting to see feedback on these. Rare I wear my Imperial Gaskets rubber ones, they are restrictive and build up a lot of heat, no air transfer, I now only wear them for LFL or high profile troops, fabric is way more comfortable in my opinion.

Looking forward to see how much movement you have once you have the kit all fitted.

• Like 3

I am need of some help with fibreglass work.  On both of my costumes, I will need to enlarge my thigh and shin pieces.  I will have to cut an opening in the thigh and create a gap in the armour  and then fill it with fibreglass. On the shins, I may split the half of the piece and do the same type of expansion, or I may extend the fibreglass at the back to allow the 2 halves to meet and close.  

Has anyone done work with fibreglass that can outline how I need to achieve this?

24 minutes ago, Doggydoc said:

I am need of some help with fibreglass work.  On both of my costumes, I will need to enlarge my thigh and shin pieces.  I will have to cut an opening in the thigh and create a gap in the armour  and then fill it with fibreglass. On the shins, I may split the half of the piece and do the same type of expansion, or I may extend the fibreglass at the back to allow the 2 halves to meet and close.  

Has anyone done work with fibreglass that can outline how I need to achieve this?

You could use some plastic sign to make a backing, glue to both sides of the thighs on the insides, then rough up the plastic with course sandpaper and apply the fiberglass matting and resin (in layers) on top of it. You may still need to finish the fiberglass with a coat of bondo or two to get it really smooth.

It's a similar process as they do with pepakura, but with cardboard, fiberglass then bondo.

Lots of youtube tube videos around to give you the basics.

OTTK but just as an example

rsz_1img_6801.jpg

Another rough example but again OTTK, this was filled with plastic and then ABS paste to fill the seams, you would be using the fiberglass.

CbbQY0B.jpg

Don't think I've seen many TLJ/TFA's that have needed expanding.

• Like 1