SaltyR1 Requesting Pre-Approval Review (ATA)

saltyr1

Hello everyone!  My name is Chris Wingrove and I have been working on this build for about 2 years now.  My goal on this build is for Centurion level, but lets get Basic out of the way.  Thank you in advance.

1.  Name - Chris Wingrove

2.  Future Garrison - Ohio Garrison

3.  Armor Maker - ATA 

4.  Helmet Maker - ATA 

5.  Belt - ImperialIssue.com

6.  Neck Seal - TrooperBay.com

7.  Boots - ImperialBoots.com

9.  E-11 - 3D printed

10.  Helmet Gasket - ATA

11.  Height - 5'9"

12. Weight - 150lbs.

13. Type - ANH Stunt

14.  Shout out to Glen and Mario for their continued guidance over the past two years.

My build thread can be found here: 

And the pics!  

4UMrWH3.jpg

KfrC6vA.jpg

mT0OBaw.jpg

WXYnjYe.jpg

MuJys8n.jpg

bjlTCAX.jpg

Auxex3V.jpg

8Sx1x7o.jpg

KYOHDaE.jpg

FV5QMOQ.jpg

Dzb1NZE.jpg

YOP57YX.jpg

YdNk0YS.jpg

HJCogWr.jpg

a06XAPz.jpg

Hi Chris,  Wow!  Awesome looking armor sir!. Well done :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

I don't see anything that can stop your basic approval and even the EIB certification .  

What I saw for L3 , just a detail :

CRL L3: Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt with minimal gap between belt and box.

Very easy fix for you. just a dab of E6000 and you're ready. 

fSoogNg.jpg QoPilDO.jpg

References

tm7wE8T.jpg?1        618t4ij.png       plfotMd.jpg?1

• Like 1

Looking good Chris, a really nice build.

One thing some of your photos look a little out of focus, your GML may require some clearer ones to check find detail, or he/she may not ;) Also (and especially for Expert Infantry action photo) try to use a contrasting background, a sheet, tarpaulin or different colored wall, makes editing your images a lot easier and your GWL will thank you

Auxex3V.jpg

Good luck with approval, I doubt you will need it though.

• Like 1

Spectacular job on this build, Chris!  Just a couple of items if I may:

1.  The wrist openings on your forearms are quite a bit larger than they should be.  The rear opening could be reduced a bit as well, and the overall look should be more tapered.  Your GML may call you out on this, as the CRL states that the costume is "...proportional to the wearer in scale, fit and size".  In theory, it should be just large enough to get your hand through.

kY4CupJ.jpg    5nU2QuV.jpg

Reference images

NPBXQ1a.jpg     N5Enoip.jpg

2.  Although it is a fairly recent addition to the CRL for Basic approval, the requirement for the TD now includes "The white control panel raised rib pad faces the rear". and yours is sitting a bit high. 

Reference images

TXCdJNo.jpg       ITJKfmg.jpg?1  3STtHa4.jpg?1  oa2nbIl.jpg?1    Apk2iZ0.jpg?1

Otherwise, this is possibly the best Pre Approval submission I have seen to date.  DANGED fine work on this, sir, and I see those EI and Centurion badges under you name in the near future!  ;)

• Like 1

As for the forearms, since it is an ATA kit, the ridges are already defined and are at the minimum.  I know some will try to cut the ridge off and make it smaller.  But since I'm not able to get replacement ATA pieces, I do not plan on going that route as I'm afraid I will either mess it up, or it will come 'worse'.  If this impact my eligibility for higher ranks, then it is what it is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, saltyr1 said:

As for the forearms, since it is an ATA kit, the ridges are already defined and are at the minimum.  I know some will try to cut the ridge off and make it smaller.  But since I'm not able to get replacement ATA pieces, I do not plan on going that route as I'm afraid I will either mess it up, or it will come 'worse'.  If this impact my eligibility for higher ranks, then it is what it is.

You may notice both forearms are a little different one is rounded the other oval, I found using heat and making the rounded a little more oval helps with the overall look.

Also foam glued inside on both sides to help keep the forearms central will give a better central look at the wrists.

I have even heard of someone with really skinny arms adding a piece of foam wrapped around their arms under their undersuit just to fill up the gaps.

Personally I'd reach out to your GML and see what he/she has to say ;) 

• Like 2

Great news Chris, congratulations and welcome to the ranks, I see you've already requested higher access. Here's a good read, a little outdated but will give you some idea of how we operate and what to expect 

https://databank.501st.com/databank/TrooperSurvivalGuide

Once again congratulations 

• 3 months later...

Hello friends!  It's been a few months since my last post as I took a break to finish another project.  And with that out of the way I started tackling some of the issues listed above before seeking higher level approval.  

First I tacked the drop boxes to keep them straight.  That was pretty simple.

To fix my skinny wrist in the forearms I heated the right one to make it more oval.  And I also bought these wrist sweatbands that seem to work well.

AxlCnUG.jpg

Next was the repositioning the thermal detonator's control panel towards the rear.   I opted to just make a new bracket.  Here you can see the new one on the left.

ZqdU7So.jpg

cfjhmCE.jpg

NCWjP81.jpg

As I was testing the gloves with the wrist bands I noticed the glue let go on the flexible hand guard in some spots.  That will need fixed.  But then I think I'm ready for EI.

• Like 2