Jason's R1TK build

Goromith

Hello everyone! This will be my 3rd attempt to join lol, I got the abs armor off etsy from makerofthings without doing a ton of research but I'm making due with what I have. I have the suit assembled but have a few questions like everyone else lol. My next step is to finish the bs helmet unless their is a good alternative and I don't want 3d printed (I can do that myself). Thank you for any advice in advance.  

I definitely know I have some things to correct. 

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_20221030_105650_472.jpg

Welcome aboard Jason. It looks like you're well on your way, but I did want to hit on this thought:

20 hours ago, Goromith said:

My next step is to finish the bs helmet unless their is a good alternative and I don't want 3d printed (I can do that myself).

Glen's post regarding the BS helmet conversion is the "near definitive" resource for getting this project done. But, if you're looking for alternatives I'd push you towards purchasing the Jimmiroquai bucket, or doing the thing you don't want to do.

Or do you?

I only ask because I was a little thrown off my the "I can do that myself" quote. If you have the ability to 3D print a helmet, I'd encourage you to look into the Nico Henderson (DesertFareCosplay on Etsy) bucket; it's an incredible file and the most accurate ROTK helmet out there. Additionally, if you print carefully in something like a carbon fiber PLA filament, you wont have to suffer through the excruciating task of fill, sand, repeat, repeat, repeat. You'll still have to do some sanding, but I've had resin cast helmets that required more attention than the carbon fiber Nico bucket I printed recently. Additionally, though the CF filament is PLA based, it's not susceptible to heat warping like typical PLA or PLA+.  

Regardless, look up some of the pics of BS helmet conversions, but also take a look at these. The first is my Jimi bucket right after I did the initial spray, and the next few are pieces of the Nico bucket that just showcase their accuracy and how smooth the CF filament prints.

1tEzfch.jpg

9Atc5Gf.jpg

I had to sand the face on this one because I had a loose carriage when I printed. But, I wanted to show you this so you can see the details Nico added, including the very subtle "bump" in the eye socket. Additionally, painting this helmet is incredibly easy due to the way that pieces such as the "teeth," tears and traps are accurately left separate from the main body.

JWetGyf.jpg

This is as bad as it got with the layer lines which sand out with one pass of 120grit. From there, it's just a light coat of filler primer.

bGUTNLO.jpg

This is what most of the layers look like.

NfvifKM.jpg

And here's the chin lightly sanded and coated with a light coat of SEM filler primer.

So I know you said you don't want to print, but it's actually an incredible option for this costume.
Please let us know if you have any questions about the rest of the build.

• Like 1

Omg you are amazing!!! Thank you sooooo much for the heads up. 

I 3d print and have done an entire death trooper but it was a lot of work lol. Not looking for an easy way I just want it to be as accurate as possible.

Right now I'm going over the whole suit with a drimmle to get the details out that weren't there because it was vacuumed pulled abs. I will definitely take a look at those files.

Does anyone have a couple of pics or know where I can look to see the strapping setup, mine is done entirely of industrial velcro and did fine on a 3 hour trick or treat walk but I'm not a fan of how I attached the thighs.

4 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

Welcome aboard Jason. It looks like you're well on your way, but I did want to hit on this thought:

Glen's post regarding the BS helmet conversion is the "near definitive" resource for getting this project done. But, if you're looking for alternatives I'd push you towards purchasing the Jimmiroquai bucket, or doing the thing you don't want to do.

Or do you?

I only ask because I was a little thrown off my the "I can do that myself" quote. If you have the ability to 3D print a helmet, I'd encourage you to look into the Nico Henderson (DesertFareCosplay on Etsy) bucket; it's an incredible file and the most accurate ROTK helmet out there. Additionally, if you print carefully in something like a carbon fiber PLA filament, you wont have to suffer through the excruciating task of fill, sand, repeat, repeat, repeat. You'll still have to do some sanding, but I've had resin cast helmets that required more attention than the carbon fiber Nico bucket I printed recently. Additionally, though the CF filament is PLA based, it's not susceptible to heat warping like typical PLA or PLA+.  

Regardless, look up some of the pics of BS helmet conversions, but also take a look at these. The first is my Jimi bucket right after I did the initial spray, and the next few are pieces of the Nico bucket that just showcase their accuracy and how smooth the CF filament prints.

1tEzfch.jpg

9Atc5Gf.jpg

I had to sand the face on this one because I had a loose carriage when I printed. But, I wanted to show you this so you can see the details Nico added, including the very subtle "bump" in the eye socket. Additionally, painting this helmet is incredibly easy due to the way that pieces such as the "teeth," tears and traps are accurately left separate from the main body.

JWetGyf.jpg

This is as bad as it got with the layer lines which sand out with one pass of 120grit. From there, it's just a light coat of filler primer.

bGUTNLO.jpg

This is what most of the layers look like.

NfvifKM.jpg

And here's the chin lightly sanded and coated with a light coat of SEM filler primer.

So I know you said you don't want to print, but it's actually an incredible option for this costume.
Please let us know if you have any questions about the rest of the build.

Absolutely amazing, I have a cr10s but iver never tried carbon fiber pla...looks great!

1 hour ago, Goromith said:

Does anyone have a couple of pics or know where I can look to see the strapping setup, mine is done entirely of industrial velcro and did fine on a 3 hour trick or treat walk but I'm not a fan of how I attached the thighs.

Jason,

You'll have to look at a couple of the build threads for complete strapping, but this will get you started:

ATcXsm1.jpg

Next, here's a good look at the screen used thigh strap. Just imagine it like this: top of 1" webbing attaches to abdomen, or a belt, then there's a tri-glide mid thigh for adjustment, then a side release (or preferable top release buckle) hidden behind the sleeve that covers everything (or behind the thigh) armor, then the bottom section of webbing attaches to the thigh armor.
I'm about to do a tutorial on my Remnant Stormtrooper build thread this weekend, so you can look there once it's up, but here's the pic:

XkYKSlR.jpg

It's from a Mimban, but the same system is used on the ROTK; this picture's just a lot more clear than the others.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

14 minutes ago, Goromith said:

Where is a good place to buy stormtrooper boots for rouge one?

I think most are using Imperial Boots or Crow Props.  If you have a larger foot, then Crow Props will be able to accommodate you better.  

https://crowprops.bigcartel.com/product/fo-r1-tk

https://www.imperialboots.com/product/stormtrooper_fotk_r1tk_boots/

10 minutes ago, Goromith said:

Is there anyone who would sell me just the lines that go on the armor as the vacuum pulled isn't correct. The lines that are on the front and back of the legs and arms??

I would suggest reaching out to a build that doesn't supply ABS kits or perhaps someone with 3D files, I doubt anyone would have them spare.

List here