Requesting Pre-approval for Rogue One TK (3d print)

Klaymorr

Hello, 

After many months I finally finished my 3d printed Rogue One TK  build up to the point where I feel it can be reviewed.  My goal is basic 501st certification.   

Thank you 

Name: Steve Skidmore

Height 6’1”  

Future Garrison : Cloud City (Oregon)

Neck seal- Imperialboots.com

Boots-Imperialboots.com

Gloves-Imperialboots.com

Helmet- Nico Henderson 3d print file

Armor brand- Akira Yuming ROTK 3d print file

Belt boxes- BigJasoni 3d print file

E-11Blaster- 3d print file  (still in work on the flashlight)

3d printer- Prusa MK3S 

Thanks to ROTK forum users:  BigJasoni & 11b30b4 , their build threads are extremely helpful. 

1V8baS8.jpg

MzCqG7U.jpg

0vZPooi.jpg

Q5dd9eR.jpg

8pdvh5r.jpg

R3R1O7y.jpg

fHjbdm0.jpg

hZt1vXA.jpg

tIttJ4g.jpg

hiS7Vl4.jpg

fYaFD2Q.jpg

k3ffkQF.jpg

tiX4lOi.jpg

9xVHCiT.jpg

3ORRMd2.jpg

75RIdeM.jpg

SQva9WU.jpg

ZJ0BPNB.jpg

5w9V7bf.jpg

6IRPMBd.jpg

VaOC3sO.jpg

54d8MLN.jpg

• Like 2

Hello again,  I'm new to this so I'm not sure how long a Pre Approval takes.  I can add more pictures if needed or info on how I made the armor.  Let me know.

I would be happy with any input, good, bad or ugly. 

Thank you 

Hi Steve! It's very cool to see a fully-printed ROTK out in the wild! To answer your question, since pre-approval isn't part of any formal process, there's no specific time-table on response time. Essentially, you're posting your build for others to comment on with feedback. At the end of the day, your local GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) will be the one to give final basic approval, so you could also consider sharing this post or your photos with them for initial comments.

• Like 1

hace 5 horas, Klaymorr dijo:

Hello again,  I'm new to this so I'm not sure how long a Pre Approval takes.  I can add more pictures if needed or info on how I made the armor.  Let me know.

I would be happy with any input, good, bad or ugly. 

Thank you 

Hi Steve. As Caleb rightly says, at the end of the day, your local GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) will be the one to give final basic approval. However, the DO team, are now discussing this "internally", and will be able to give you some feedback shortly.:jc_doublethumbup:.

Thank you for your patience!:salute:

• Like 1

Hot dang this might be one of the best R1TK's I've seen done yet! Fantastic job! 

If I may, the only thing of note I would adjust before submitting for approval would be the calves. They appear to have plenty of room towards the top, and you might want to take them in to diminish the gap. 

Other than that, I'd say you're pretty well set! 

• Like 1

This is a dynamite looking set of armor, Steve,and although your goal is only Basic approval, with a few upgrades you could be the first trooper with 3D printed armor to reach EI!  I can't begin to wonder how much time you spent sanding and filling those pesky print lines, but the end result is truly spectacular, sir.

If I could make a few suggestions, the first would be is that I agree with Reese about the calves.

It's difficult to tell from the photos how large your calves actually are, but there seems to be quite a bit of room on the sides (photo 2).  The ones seen in the film had more of a taper rather than being so large at the top, making them look more like those seen on a Clonetrooper.

Reference images

Ce6n8Ua.jpg   bD4Tzh2.jpg                 ptVBfON.jpg  OqooHyu.jpg  JJp129q.jpg

Just an FYI, andI'm sure it will not affect approval at Basic, but the width of the hexagon on the sniper knee looks quite a bit wider than those seen onscreen. ;)

yjFzTzM.jpg          eaEYbRe.jpg  qAmCvsV.jpg

The designer of the files that this was printed from obviously has a keen eye for detail, but it needs some need tweaking.  As seen below the indented line around the TD plate has curved corners, and the raised "O" does not have those little projectiles on the top/bottom and is more of a rounder shape rather than an oblong.  The positioning of the "buttons" that face the rear?  You NAILED it!  :duim:

Reference image

ziF2IKM.jpg         23PGRWG.jpg

Overall I would give this build a 9.5, Steve.  I'm danged gad to see that someone has stepped up to the plate and finally shown us that 3D armor has truly earned it's place.  Well done, sir!

• Like 2

Thank you all for your input and kind words. :duim:  

22 hours ago, Parquette said:

If I may, the only thing of note I would adjust before submitting for approval would be the calves. They appear to have plenty of room towards the top, and you might want to take them in to diminish the gap. 

kBkFZV2.jpg

qr4Dkje.jpg

JsHqYb3.jpg

This morning I was able to close up the upper leg opening about a inch or so its very close now.  This was one of the hardest parts to print and assemble.   

The file is not that great I had to do a lot of hacking and adjusting after print.  One of these days I'm going to purchase  Paul Prentice Shoretrooper files and print his calf armor, it's very accurate.

20 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Just an FYI, andI'm sure it will not affect approval at Basic, but the width of the hexagon on the sniper knee looks quite a bit wider than those seen onscreen. ;)

Joseph I'm in total agreement on the sniper knee I went back and looked at the file I printed.  I had the scaling off, It should be a quick reprint to fix. 

20 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

The designer of the files that this was printed from obviously has a keen eye for detail, but it needs some need tweaking.  As seen below the indented line around the TD plate has curved corners, and the raised "O" does not have those little projectiles on the top/bottom and is more of a rounder shape rather than an oblong.  The positioning of the "buttons" that face the rear?  You NAILED it!  :duim:

Reference image

ziF2IKM.jpg         23PGRWG.jpg

r0UpLNo.jpg

This is the TD image from the CRL.  The file I printed is closer to this image.  I agree the file could use some tweaking to make 100% accurate. 

oHVCobm.jpg

pTN2I0t.jpg

This is my E11 after I printed and attached the ROTK flashlight

20 hours ago, tarok said:

Do you have a build thread somewhere? Would love to hear/read what your build process was.

Rudi, I do not have a build thread.  I used BigJasoni's thread to get started he has the first 501st approved ROTK 3d print build.   Some of the differences are print line fill methods.   I used 3d printer uv resin.  Just brush on and put out in the sun.  Its very fast and easy to sand.  My build is 100% 3d print including belt and shoulder straps.   

On 11/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, Klaymorr said:

OK thank you,  I will get in touch with my local GML 

Hey Steve, I’m your friendly garrison GML. Looks like you are doing some adjustments on some pieces after feedback here. Whenever you are ready to submit please make a thread in our dedicated sub forum for costume submissions.  I see that you made an intro thread already. Feel free to reach out with any questions here or there. Phenomenal job thus far. 

• Like 1

Tons of good comments/ suggestions here. Honestly, I'm not seeing anything that should stand in the way of basic approval; you did a great job Steve.

I think I've mentioned a couple hundred times now that my 3D project has been a never-ending story. I could start listing items that should be corrected, mostly because I'm familiar with Akira's design, but anything I say would be nit-picky and not beneficial for someone seeking basic approval. However, since it's been brought up already, I do want to address the legs. Again, what we're seeing in yours is no different than what I was approved in, they're consistent with other makers, and look way better than other not to be named designers.
The pictures below are from Celebration 2022 and while they are reflective of the current batch of costumes (Mando S2, Kenobi, and Andor), the legs are the same as they were during the release of Rogue One.

OSEjSsg.jpg

First, the front view. You're running into the same issue with your shin armor that I did; that's why I asked Akira to make a few design changes. However, while he was willing to make the calf area larger to facilitate bigger legs, he wouldn't adjust the "bell-bottom" flare beyond what he gave me initially. That's what's throwing off the overall shape of the design. If you compare the views others provided along with the ones below to your front pic, you'll notice that the Akira files are extraordinarily narrow at the ankles and don't taper correctly down to the bells. However, I would rather deal with this than the overly bulky design we've seen elsewhere. Honestly, while I absolutely love the Jimmiroquai armor, even Jim's is off on the overall shape of the shins and Akira's is more similar to Jim's than the actual screen used prop. Please see below for a few SBS pics of the screen used armor, Akira Yuning (yours), Jimmiroquai, and Mr Paul's:

fDHO15F.jpg

First, on the screen used armor, the flat front of the trim piece and cover strip form a "T" that's fairly symetrical while Akira's takes a slightly angular approach before tapering to the rear of the leg.

VrTbZRm.jpg

Next, these are taken at different angles so they look slightly different, but they still give you a good idea at how the calf, ankle and bell follow much different paths from top to bottom. Akira and Jimi's are both "bulbous" in the upper portion with a very sharp angle and small bell-bottom. I know a few people have attempted to widen Jim's bell bottom and they've had good results, but it's a lot of work. In Akira's first design, the bell-bottom was non-existent; after some prodding, he added it, but wouldn't adjust it further. Candidly, I'm fine with what he did because most designers would have told me to go away.

The big thing for me is that the screen used armor does not have that gap in the front of the top trim. I know this is hard for makers to emulate, but with the MPSB you can actually leave the top trim off as a separate piece that fastens with magnets, Velcro, etc. giving it the same clean appearance as the screen used prop. Again, this isn't anything that's been held against people for basic approval, but it annoys me almost as much as the missing trim around the back box.

Next, take a look at the side view and particularly the angle of the top trim. Akira's does stop a lot shorter in the back, but the angles are also off. On a positive note, Akira nearly nailed the front and rear slope angle, which is almost identical to the screen used prop and Paul's design:

gzmwt3v.jpg

Finally, you're not going to be able to do much about the cover strips because they're modeled into the shin armor, but Akria's are off. Again, this isn't anything that should impair basic approval, but some of us that have worked with Akira in the past should start making a list of update requests.

Finally, one other note for anyone else out there building a ROTK kit: There are no reference photos other than the Rogue One Promotional photos that show the rear belt overlapping the front. I know what the CRL says, but I really think this is an error. Also, if you really zoom into the other TKs in the promo shot, their belts overlap front over rear. The promo shot I'm referencing is seen here, but if you want to zoom into the other guys, go check out the gallery:

lOKr8eq.jpg

But that also shows the large front tab below the belt boxes which was removed, likely for comfort, prior to filming. The only place we see that large tab show up again is in The Mandalorian Season 1 Remnant TKs. However, with regards to the overlap, every screen cap and reference photo apart from this one show the front overlapping the back. Here's a few:

Ux6NjLV.jpg

On screen in RO

V91RfHJ.jpg

Celebration 2016

Edmc5zz.jpg

This year.
Ultimately, this needs to be debated for future CRL updates, but since your GML (@Anzo) is viewing this thread you might want to discuss.

Edited by BigJasoni

3 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

First, the front view. You're running into the same issue with your shin armor that I did; that's why I asked Akira to make a few design changes. However, while he was willing to make the calf area larger to facilitate bigger legs, he wouldn't adjust the "bell-bottom" flare beyond what he gave me initially. That's what's throwing off the overall shape of the design. If you compare the views others provided along with the ones below to your front pic, you'll notice that the Akira files are extraordinarily narrow at the ankles and don't taper correctly down to the bells. However, I would rather deal with this than the overly bulky design we've seen elsewhere. Honestly, while I absolutely love the Jimmiroquai armor, even Jim's is off on the overall shape of the shins and Akira's is more similar to Jim's than the actual screen used prop. Please see below for a few SBS pics of the screen used armor, Akira Yuning (yours), Jimmiroquai, and Mr Paul's:

zLpgtn2.jpg

Hi Jason, your build thread was a great help and got me started on this project.  (even though you said don't do it lol) I know we discussed the calf armor on Esty chat a while back.  Here is the as good as this file is going to get calf armor with the new scaled correctly sniper plate.  To get the Akira Yuning legs to fit correctly took a lot of time.  You are correct about the lower ankle area it is too small in dimeter.  I had to scale the dimeter up which makes the upper portion to big.  Even after it scaled correctly to fit around the ankle it still had to be heated and adjusted out to fit around the boots.   Then I had to heat and adjust to eliminate the large upper gaps. (I wish my calves were that big)  For anyone thinking about printing the Akira armor I do not recommend printing the calf armor.  As Jason says there are other options.   

I could start listing items that should be corrected, mostly because I'm familiar with Akira's design, but anything I say would be nit-picky and not beneficial for someone seeking basic approval.

Jason I'm aware of most of the Akira Yuning file accuracy issues. Chest, back box, greebles etc  Its close but could be better.  If there are any adjustments that can be made that don't require a new file or reprint let me know.    

Finally, one other note for anyone else out there building a ROTK kit: There are no reference photos other than the Rogue One Promotional photos that show the rear belt overlapping the front

My belt will go either way I have the rear overlapping the front now.  I have seen screen shots of it both ways I wonder if its random up to who ever put the armor on.   I know its easer for me to over lap the way I have it when putting it on.    

4 hours ago, Klaymorr said:

To get the Akira Yuning legs to fit correctly took a lot of time.  You are correct about the lower ankle area it is too small in dimeter.  I had to scale the dimeter up which makes the upper portion to big.  Even after it scaled correctly to fit around the ankle it still had to be heated and adjusted out to fit around the boots.   Then I had to heat and adjust to eliminate the large upper gaps.

This is the exact issue I had with the thighs. However, rather than scale the armor on the entire axis, I actually sliced the file into three different sections, printed each at a different scale, then spliced them together. This required me to fill the gaps with resin, back it with fiberglass, and sand like h3!!. When I was working with the legs, I also realized that Akira's walls are designed to be extremely thick. I decreased the shell thickness in some areas, but ultimately the wall thickness is too much to provide any sort of flex or give in some of the most stressed areas.

I may have mentioned it my build thread, but I printed those thighs four times.

Steve, you've worked real hard on this kit and I'd encourage you to submit your pictures. Again, anything I tell you now will be geared towards higher level approval, which would require significant restructuring. Your kit currently looks better than some of the ones I've seen approved for ROTK. I know I warned you not to go down this road, but you did an outstanding job disregarding my warnings. :lol:

2 hours ago, Klaymorr said:

Thank you all for your great comments and suggestions!! I was approved today for the 501st , Cloud City Garrison!!

:jc_doublethumbup: 

Congratulations trooper and welcome to the ranks, you can request higher TK access here 

15 hours ago, Klaymorr said:

Thank you all for your great comments and suggestions!! I was approved today for the 501st , Cloud City Garrison!!

Way to go Steve, and welcome to the ranks!  You have set the bar pretty darned high for 3D printed armor and I hope to see your submission for EI when you get the chance.  If I could (yet again) make one small recommendation it would be to grab your Dremel and trim off the ridge on the bottom of the sniper knee.   Should take about 5 minutes and would look much better.  :D

Reference images                                                                                 R1 CRL photo

LXYoiXR.jpg    BC0Ydvb.jpg VZfXTxR.jpg ldNjtmQ.jpg ydAO2pM.jpg      CKy5uA0.jpg

Now that you have your official TK ID, I would suggest getting Legion Access here on the FISD.  Doing this will give you access to a lot of areas on our site that you cannot currently see, and will be needed if when you apply for higher levels. ;)  This may take a day or so, but the link can be found here.

9 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

If I could (yet again) make one small recommendation it would be to grab your Dremel and trim off the ridge on the bottom of the sniper knee.   Should take about 5 minutes and would look much better

Thank you!   I never noticed that.  I'll make the adjustment to the sniper knee.   Any other armor Tweeks adjustments for EL consideration I should know of?  I don't have the EL under suit yet.  I'm not sure if the general shape of the armor (3d file) is up to par for higher levels.   

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 12:07 PM, Klaymorr said:

Congratulations Trooper!!!  Welcome to the ranks. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: