TikiTechie Requesting Pre-Approval - FAC Stunt TK

TikiTechie

Name: Jim Munro

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 170 lbs.

Garrison: Mountain Garrison

Armor Maker: Far Away Creations (assembled by me)

Helmet: Far Away Creations (assembled by me)

Blaster: 3d printed E-11 mod

Neck Seal: ImperialSeamstress (Etsy)

Holster: Darmans Props (Etsy)

Boots: DIY painted Chelsea boot

oB2ixEi.jpg

bG6RJTZ.jpg

Gt4xrmx.jpg

7t6fRs1.jpg

LnzS92Z.jpg

IL0GxYb.jpg

Posing w Blaster

ZCnp7x0.jpg

HkchVPD.jpg

Helmet

6N0RBvP.jpg

10yA7iO.jpg

CnZHoYr.jpg

At ease

A1ghghv.jpg

Hello Jim!

For the higher levels (L2 and L3) you need to do some adjustments, but it looks to me like it should** be able to pass for basic 501st approval!

Good work on that armor of yours! :peace:

** - My only reservation is the sniper knee plate and how it is attached, it is a ROTJ style attachment method, but you have an ANH kit here!

Edited by Nairy
  • Like 1

It's not at all required for approval, but your plastic hand armor will fit WAAAYYYY better and be more comfortable if you completely remove the return edge. Make it flat. Then heat it up and form it to the back of your hand. I did this (maybe stupidly) with a heat gun while wearing it. If you're gentle, you won't burn yourself and you won't deform the armor.

And yes, that knee may get push back from your approval staff. It isn't supposed to be riveted on for ANH armor. 

Your ammo pack knee/thigh needs to be rotated up a bit so that it meets the cover strip on that thigh. Pretty easy to do with a little E6000.

Your blaster and bucket look fantastic!  As does the whole armor kit. I'll bet you get basic approval quickly! :salute:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nairy said:

Hello Jim!

For the higher levels (L2 and L3) you need to do some adjustments, but it looks to me like it should** be able to pass for basic 501st approval!

Good work on that armor of yours! :peace:

** - My only reservation is the sniper knee plate and how it is attached, it is a ROTJ style attachment method, but you have an ANH kit here!

Interesting, for some reason I never knew that. :/ I can easily fix that I think. The split rivets were a bear to get installed anyway. I'll fix that up. Thank you!

Edited by MoonTiki
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

It's not at all required for approval, but your plastic hand armor will fit WAAAYYYY better and be more comfortable if you completely remove the return edge. Make it flat. Then heat it up and form it to the back of your hand. I did this (maybe stupidly) with a heat gun while wearing it. If you're gentle, you won't burn yourself and you won't deform the armor.

And yes, that knee may get push back from your approval staff. It isn't supposed to be riveted on for ANH armor. 

Your ammo pack knee/thigh needs to be rotated up a bit so that it meets the cover strip on that thigh. Pretty easy to do with a little E6000.

Your blaster and bucket look fantastic!  As does the whole armor kit. I'll bet you get basic approval quickly! :salute:

Yeah, those hands are definitely not flexible. I def will cut & bend them when I get a chance.

I'm going to fix up the knees.  Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Garbz said:

Jim, I’m one of your GML’s… I think it’s a fantastic build! Let me get with the other guys on this.

Thank you! Working on updating my photos with the fixes I emailed to you.

6dqfg0c.jpg

QBpoR2y.jpg

YuEOnLm.jpg

Tightened up the shoulder straps.

Edited by MoonTiki

In some of your photos your kidney sides are popping out, gluing some tabs behind will help keep them behind the ab plate

A1ghghv.thumb.jpg.cdd043d8299c19bdf504e3a4b8b04d4f.jpg

Examples

H2IAe4f.jpg  DwUAjbN.jpg       L14gNbj.jpg 

Screenshot_20221015-150552.png

Also note the angle some of your pieces are. There is also something showing behind the top of your left thigh

oB2ixEi.thumb.jpg.aa88b07a48a8ca12dd356724bcd9f557.jpg

A few tweaks and you should be good to go, good luck

18 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

In some of your photos your kidney sides are popping out, gluing some tabs behind will help keep them behind the ab plate

A1ghghv.thumb.jpg.cdd043d8299c19bdf504e3a4b8b04d4f.jpg

Examples

H2IAe4f.jpg  DwUAjbN.jpg       L14gNbj.jpg 

Also note the angle some of your pieces are. There is also something showing behind the top of your left thigh.

I discovered after the shoot that my shirt was flipped over on the bottom and that's the tag peeking out. :( It's since been removed. :)

18 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

A few tweaks and you should be good to go, good luck

I'll make the side tab adjustment you mention.

Great, thank you!

• Like 1

Another pass with changes above.

* Thigh ammo pack raised to bottom of cover strip

* Rivets removed from sniper plate and re-attached.

* Added tabs to sides to keep them even

* Minor: added bicep strap hooks, added elastic from bicep to forearm.

Helmet off

rP8n1mC.jpg

Face on

pZRYnl2.jpg

Side

sIyIocR.jpg

Back

wICY2ev.jpg

Casual

SC64D5c.jpg

On guard

GmSwL2Y.jpg

Die rebel scum

Q9SyuUd.jpg

Looking good, just a couple of picky things, more for higher levels 

You may want to extend the bicep elastic from the shoulder bells, the hooks are pulling the bottom elastic down on an angle while the elastic under the bells is pulling the biceps upwards, this would also allow you to reduce some of the dark area at your elbow and wrist.

I find it really useful having a full length mirror handy as my photographer doesn't look at everything I do. Note your thigh gaps differs, one is almost touching your cod, left shin off center to thigh cover ridge too. Should bell gap next to shoulder straps appears a little different on both sides, no issues you adjusting these between photos.

pZRYnl2.thumb.jpg.ebc5cc01c0f884fd78bde019d8f14fbb.jpg

V angle gap on the sides. Also drop box not quite at the end of the plastic belt section. Again adjustments between photos can help ;) 

sIyIocR.thumb.jpg.41b064a0d0ee718410080468e35f8de2.jpg

Lastly backplate not centered so your shoulder straps are not sitting right. Here you can see the bicep hook pulling down the elastic shoulder bell straps again.  Note the gaps at your elbows different on back photo. You could also fill the gaps between the lower thigh ridges. Lastly your shin heights at the back don't align across the top properly, outsides higher than insides.

wICY2ev.thumb.jpg.3ff541f8adbb938cd52681dbcca2f182.jpg

gallery_12157_15_2547.jpg

And make sure you use a contrasting background, your GML/GWL will thank you as it makes it easier for editing your photos (also for EIB;) 

Good luck with approval.

Edited by gmrhodes13
Updated text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Lastly backplate not centered so your shoulder straps are not sitting right. Here you can see the bicep hook pulling down the elastic shoulder bell straps again.  Note the gaps at your elbows different on back photo. You could also fill the gaps between the lower thigh ridges. Lastly your shin heights at the back don't align across the top properly, outsides higher than insides.

Just curious when/where the mobility cuts are done. is that post-approval mods, or is it either or with filling them in? I feel like I've observed both.  I do know that I get quite a stab from the back-bottom thigh on the left especially.  Some extra space there would probably be nice, but I can wait if needed.

In either case, Sugru is on order. :)

Edited by MoonTiki

2 minutes ago, MoonTiki said:

Just curious when/where the mobility cuts are done. is that post-approval mods, or is it either or with filling them in? I feel like I've observed both.  I do know that I get quite a stab from the back-bottom thigh on the left especially.  Some extra space there would probably be nice, but I can wait if needed.

If I may,  you can do the mobility cuts whenever you want, just take care to do not pass the ridges

fe8BS9z.jpg

CRL for Level 3 states:

Any mobility cuts on the back do not extend beyond the top of the raised ridge.

WAfXu5t.jpg

:salute:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

If I may,  you can do the mobility cuts whenever you want, just take care to do not pass the ridges

CRL for Level 3 states:

Any mobility cuts on the back do not extend beyond the top of the raised ridge.

Sounds good to me, thank you!

It looks like you are at the very limit (blue arrows) on how low you should take the mobility cuts on the rear of the calves, so I wouldn't go any further down.  You can remove the tops of the cover strips so they don't stick out, but note that the left inside is looking a bit out of alignment with outside, so take this into consideration.  

rzQFcps.jpg

Although they are permissible at all levels when done correctly, unless you need them I am not a fan of mobility cuts, but that's just me. ;)  If you do need them I would try to make them as shallow as possible.

• Like 1

Ok, I've made a few more mods to this to:

1. Shore up the chest/kidney sides to be parallel, closed and not popping out. 
  2. Fill gaps in thigh backs & make mobility cuts following guidelines.
  3. Also got a better background & a mirror to check fit before pics.
  4. Imperial boots on order

Fingers crossed this can get me closer to the finish line. :)

Helmet off:

RLNMdVk.jpg

Helmet on front

vvMXO22.jpg

Left

aoeFwqD.jpg

Right

N07EysB.jpg

Back

TNR0NrU.jpg

Blaster

Xq7mU5O.jpg

Action

2EuTTCc.jpg

Casual

vvMXO22.jpg

Edited by MoonTiki
  • Like 1

Looking good for basic.

For higher levels there are a couple of things you should note.

Ab and kidney stepped on side image, should be level. Also drop boxes not quite at the end of the plastic belt.

aoeFwqD.jpg

Shoulder straps not quite central to your backplate

TNR0NrU.jpg

Right bicep elastic is high compared to the left, may have been caught.

Xq7mU5O.jpg

Tube stripes should be a pencil width from the side of the cheek

2EuTTCc.jpg

Good luck with approval, look forward to seeing you approved, then on to EIB and Centurion :D