Waiting for my kit! Any advice for newbies?

Paige

I ordered my amor kit through TrooperBay and it arrives in a week or so. Cant wait to put the blood, sweat, and tears into having my suit ready by October 28th. It probably won’t be 501st ready for a couple months though. I’m not sure the realistic length of time it will take me to complete my build. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paige said:

I ordered my amor kit through TrooperBay and it arrives in a week or so. Cant wait to put the blood, sweat, and tears into having my suit ready by October 28th. It probably won’t be 501st ready for a couple months though. I’m not sure the realistic length of time it will take me to complete my build. 

Welcome, Paige! Good to have you here!

I've compiled a couple of links that might come in handy (in order: supplies list, reference images, and a build thread):

Please note that the build thread is for Anovos, so it won't be exact to your suit, but it gives a great idea of what to look for when assembling your armor! Others who know more than me will likely direct you to some other helpful threads and may give an estimate for how long it can take to complete a build (for me it was about 2 1/2 weeks, and I'm still working on details). It's different for everyone :)

Even though you don't expect the armor to be 501st ready for a couple of months, I would reach out to your local garrison--they may be able to help you on your journey! Hopefully these things will help speed up the process and get you trooping in the not-so-distant future! 

Hello and welcome aboard, here is a great thread full of helpful links.

Looking forward to seeing you build soon.

Welcome Paige!

Do you plan on starting a build thread? Would be nice to follow the progress! It is also an easy way of getting quick advice on problems and solutions!

If you plan on taking your build through the higher levels of approval, what helped me out a lot was to check the Centurion and EIB request threads! They are an awesome place to learn and to make sure that you do things the "right" way from the beginning instead of potentially having to remove things when the time comes! (I myself had to scrape off my sniper knee carefully with a knife and reposition it:D It is all a part of the journey though, and every journey is different!

Something I wish I knew from the beginning was what kind of paints had been closely matched with the originals, and I now know of a few Humbrol Enamel paints that does the job!
Blue: Humbrol Enamel Matte 109

Grey: Humbrol Enamel Gloss 5

Black: Humbrol Enamel Satin 85

These are used for the AB buttons (not black) as well as the helmet (all of them) :)

Just mix and stir the little cans for 3-5 minutes and dip your brush and away you go! (Make sure that you have cotton swabs, Enamel Thinner/white spirit and a cloth for wiping off any excess)

Also make sure that you save all your excess little bits of ABS that you cut away, since it can be made in to ABS-paste that can be very helpful when mending your armor or filling in holes and gaps! Here's how you do ABS-paste and here's how you apply it!

Edited by Nairy

All great awesome pointers but remember measure twice and only slight trim, once it is cut off it’s very difficult to put it back on, 

have a look at some of the build threads of past they may help.

Welcome to the FISD, Paige!  Lots of information here to say the least, but we are here to guide you through your white armor journey.  As Jonatan mentioned, having your own build thread will help immensely.  That way you can ask all the questions you want to and post up lots of photos of your progress.  Posting pics here is especially helpful when you run into an issue.  If you aren't sure about something, always ask before cutting or gluing.  Trust me on this one.

Most importantly, take.... your.... time.  Consider your build as a marathon, not a sprint.  We are here for ya' every step of the way, so never be shy about hitting us up with any questions.

• Like 1

Welcome Paige. Time to build a set of armor varies but always go a pace that you feel comfortable with. Never rush things and double or triple check if you are ever unsure. Everyone is here to help. 

Welcome Paige! Marek mentioned his build being about 2.5 weeks... well, mind has been about 2.5 years. lol. As Joseph said, take as much time as you need to do things right. We'll be here along your journey to assist!

Hello Paige!

I saw in the Facebook group that you got your kit! :peace:

It would be awesome if you would like to start a build thread here in the FISD forum so that you can get quick help, tips tricks and great guidance, that also will help future newbies when they search and find your thread! :jc_doublethumbup:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.whitearmor.net/permalink/1089738038324488/

• 1 month later...