BlueBantha's Tall (6'2") MTK Kit Build

bluebantha

Hi CArter.

About Your questions

First, I want to make sure that my lack of return edges on the arms are ok. I believe they are, but I always have my doubts

R/ They're ok

Second, the purple tape on the pieces marks 15mm, the full width of the cover strips for the arms. I do know that I’ll need to reduce that by 50% on either side, but I wanted to leave some extra room.

Third, is a question regarding the biceps. As I’ve mentioned, I’m aiming for centurion, and I wanted to know if it is allowable to keep some of the flat bicep edge visible beyond the cover strip? My last kit, I didn’t leave any extra flat area, and the pieces were too small. My biceps are slightly larger, and I don’t know the best way to remedy that.

If you need a little more room, I would recommend to use 15 mm to the front and the same for the flat section (which is not seen) and  use a 17-18 mm cover strip but for the back section's cover strips  and a little of the flat section (ridge) of the biceps .

T3SRTeJ.jpg

NOTE: If you can post a picture of a mock up before gluing , use the tape as Gerald suggested above " you can now tape the 2 halves together and figure out the fit"
(Don't need to trim yet) so we can guide you. 

Fourth, I have not cut out the hand pieces, as I plan on purchasing rubber ones.

Great you can contact @justjoseph63 for silicon hand plates.  

Lastly, I want to make sure that 15mm is indeed the correct width for the arm strips?   I cut one strip out, and triple check that it is 15mm, and it seems small. That being said, it’s very possible that I’m delusional lol

As a general rule we use 15 mm for biceps and forearms but but 1 to 2 mm more are allowable depending on the case. 

Reference Images

eeaeJNn.jpg  LWP7gI8.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doggydoc said:

Smart move on leaving the extra room.  Once you have them trimmed down like you do, you can now tape the 2 halves together and figure out the fit, then trim what you need.

I also have slightly larger biceps and forearms, so my cover strips were 20 mm I believe.  15 mm is pretty thin when you actually look at it.  The issue that caught me was the space between the cover strip and edge of the forearm was too wide when I applied for certification and I had to trim a bit down.  so I would lean to widening the cover strip to better cover the raised flat area.

Some of the more experienced builders can please correct me, but from what I understand, the 15 mm is screen accurate but if you need larger, it will not affect your approval as long as it looks proportional.  The thing to aim for however is that the width of the cover strip on the forearm and biceps is the same to give the uniform appearance running down the length of the arm  (same for shins and thighs).

Thank you so much for the tips, ill be sure to send some photos of the mock up before I make any drastic cuts or begin gluing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi CArter.

About Your questions

First, I want to make sure that my lack of return edges on the arms are ok. I believe they are, but I always have my doubts

R/ They're ok

Second, the purple tape on the pieces marks 15mm, the full width of the cover strips for the arms. I do know that I’ll need to reduce that by 50% on either side, but I wanted to leave some extra room.

Third, is a question regarding the biceps. As I’ve mentioned, I’m aiming for centurion, and I wanted to know if it is allowable to keep some of the flat bicep edge visible beyond the cover strip? My last kit, I didn’t leave any extra flat area, and the pieces were too small. My biceps are slightly larger, and I don’t know the best way to remedy that.

If you need a little more room, I would recommend to use 15 mm to the front and the same for the flat section (which is not seen) and  use a 17-18 mm cover strip but for the back section's cover strips  and a little of the flat section (ridge) of the biceps .

T3SRTeJ.jpg

NOTE: If you can post a picture of a mock up before gluing , use the tape as Gerald suggested above " you can now tape the 2 halves together and figure out the fit"
(Don't need to trim yet) so we can guide you. 

Fourth, I have not cut out the hand pieces, as I plan on purchasing rubber ones.

Great you can contact @justjoseph63 for silicon hand plates.  

Lastly, I want to make sure that 15mm is indeed the correct width for the arm strips?   I cut one strip out, and triple check that it is 15mm, and it seems small. That being said, it’s very possible that I’m delusional lol

As a general rule we use 15 mm for biceps and forearms but but 1 to 2 mm more are allowable depending on the case. 

Reference Images

eeaeJNn.jpg  LWP7gI8.jpg

Mario, thnk you so much for all of your advice, as well as the photos and quotes to better walk me through this process! I will keep you in the loop!

• Like 1

Oh! One quick question, as I'm almost ready to purchase the assembly bits and accessories. Does anyone happen to have a favorite canvas belt vendor? I was going to purchase TrooperBays, and still might, but the one I got for my shadowtrooper felt a but flimsy. My anovos one felt very nice, but that is being used elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebantha said:

Oh! One quick question, as I'm almost ready to purchase the assembly bits and accessories. Does anyone happen to have a favorite canvas belt vendor? I was going to purchase TrooperBays, and still might, but the one I got for my shadowtrooper felt a but flimsy. My anovos one felt very nice, but that is being used elsewhere.

Making your own could be an option

If purchasing one try to get one that has a stiffener on the left side for your holster, keeps the belt sitting straight when you holster your weapon. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Here’s tonight’s update

I started off by trimming down the biceps and forearms, and began putting an internal strip in the right forearm:
acba2f07f94ef258699deed41cfe5900.jpg
10f251ef556df3ece7c39f864f03bc76.jpg
e1fa0bb2ea7b62c8708a55c03ba72a10.jpg
b9865016f8c1f2ae26f164a89c831f86.jpg

c1500806aec2d6f2ea2e4c7c703ddf1e.jpg
56043f6abb02972aff55d24a980bc501.jpg

For some reason, the right arm (both the bicep and forearm) feel a tad too tight, which is odd considering I used the exact same measurements. There is no visual difference on my arms however, they don’t look tight. I do worry that the forearms are too short, and I will have to buy extended ones, but we shall see.

Next, I decided to trim up all of the torso armor:
b7afd06d3d64aa06ec743e31218b20d4.jpg

6d402722d68005d8814958435909b5a5.jpg
ff8f7553af1151ea1acbbf35640f6234.jpg
a78ae732fef95b68cdd6026e991108ce.jpg
f27302394f52dbba174f4ab095484e92.jpg

I hastily (and without fixtures) put the pieces on my body to check fitment, and I’m very happy that the edges of the kidney and abdomen meet and are flush, which is what is necessary for centurion. I am however worried that the posterior, kidney, and back will not all touch, which could be a problem. If anyone has some input or advice on that, I’d love to hear it!

Tomorrow I will glue the forearms. I settled on an 18mm cover strip, which will remain consistent across the arms. I am however toying with the idea of doing a 20mm or 22mm strip on the back of my biceps, but not at the expense of a higher level of approval. If anyone could let me know if that’s possible, I’d really appreciate it!

Looking great so far, Carter!  As for your query " I am however worried that the posterior, kidney, and back will not all touch, which could be a problem. If anyone has some input or advice on that, I’d love to hear it" we understand that with taller troopers that the back and kidney don't always meet in the rear, but the kidney and posterior plate need to (pardon the pun) butt up against each other.  Once you get to the fitting stage it will be easier to judge once we see some photos.

As Mario mentioned, I sell the flexible hand guards if you need them (link here).  Since you are aiming for Centurion :jc_doublethumbup: I have a thread here which may help.

Keep those photos and questions rolling in!

8 hours ago, bluebantha said:

For some reason, the right arm (both the bicep and forearm) feel a tad too tight, which is odd considering I used the exact same measurements

Perhaps It may be the side shape, I mean one could be more concave or rounded than the other. If you can check it out and if so, a hot water bath could do the trick to fix the shape.

WDIc5wB.jpg?1  OHOCEOp.jpg  ZE9AkgY.jpg

Looking great so far, Carter!  As for your query " I am however worried that the posterior, kidney, and back will not all touch, which could be a problem. If anyone has some input or advice on that, I’d love to hear it" we understand that with taller troopers that the back and kidney don't always meet in the rear, but the kidney and posterior plate need to (pardon the pun) butt up against each other.  Once you get to the fitting stage it will be easier to judge once we see some photos.
As Mario mentioned, I sell the flexible hand guards if you need them (link here).  Since you are aiming for Centurion :jc_doublethumbup: I have a thread here which may help.

Keep those photos and questions rolling in!

Thank you so much Joseph! I’ll be purchasing those hand guards in the next week or two :) and I’m sorry for the confusion regarding the back and kindey. On my last application, I was told a gap was not allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, bluebantha said:

I ordered one from Trooperbay and one from StormtrooperStore, I will let you know which one I like better! they should both be here soon. 

Perhaps It may be the side shape, I mean one could be more concave or rounded than the other. If you can check it out and if so, a hot water bath could do the trick to fix the shape.

WDIc5wB.jpg?1  OHOCEOp.jpg  ZE9AkgY.jpg

Thank you very very much! And this won’t hurt the E6000?

7 minutes ago, bluebantha said:

Thank you very very much! And this won’t hurt the E6000?

I think you could apply the hot water to the curved area and not where the cover strip is. one side at a time.  You could try with a scarp plastic strip first

KyUfONM.jpg

Forgot to add-  There are a few quality canvas belt vendors out there, but I have always ordered mine from Rob at Imperial Issue (link here).  Outstanding quality, made to order (custom fit) and great customer service!

Looking good, I would bring it down just a touch in the front, as the sides angle downwards

LFL_Storm_Stunt01.jpg DaveMANH01.jpg

A great reference for helmets is 

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/stormtrooper_helmets_armor_and_costumes.htm

Also a couple of great helmet threads 

• Like 1

Looking good, I would bring it down just a touch in the front, as the sides angle downwards
LFL_Storm_Stunt01.thumb.jpg.b5432a52180224205abe1c1da889f418.jpg DaveMANH01.jpg.a906b36c1094d0012a9ecf8759fcb43e.jpg

A great reference for helmets is 
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/stormtrooper_helmets_armor_and_costumes.htm

Also a couple of great helmet threads 
[/url]  

How’s this? I might need to trim the dome a bit more, the brow does angle. a6394dcf69cc59c5536111e14497e633.jpg
4f84035977246422d71237851a8bf0ae.jpg
35b2dbec3a3595678fc1160b3d50805f.jpg

• Like 2

This is pretty normal the small gaps, your ears will/should cover this area. I prefer using small bolts instead of rivets so you can adjust if needed. 

If you look at the website link I gave you there are plenty of examples of large gaps

ANH_Trooper_Christies_09.thumb.jpg.2437875a570a301ee090d4ef4ed3bd24.jpg

Also when adjusting the ears keep an eye on the angle of them, it's not a must just a suggestion

DO's references:

Note:  Top ear screws should ideally be located directly below the rear of the trap.

aqL1Zj9.jpg?2  oYDEzWK.jpg?1  wAMSyBP.jpg?2

Alright, so now the frustration starts to set in lol, but I expected this. I started putting the ears on the helmet, and it feels like it is angled too far backwards. If I angle it forward more, the Seam is exposed. I trimmed as little plastic as possible from the face and back, so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. If someone could give me some pointers, I’d really appreciate it!!
db1dda383136a64f954e40c1a79aebd5.jpg
6fd1719141d12ff6fd4dd038dd212789.jpg
717afce00a4ffc355381fc65ea96acc4.jpg

Hey Carter. It’s a good start. The ears are tough. Each one took me a few hours to get trimmed.  

when I did mine, I followed the tutorial that I posted below.  
Before attaching or fine trimming  the ears, I placed them in the correct alignment to line the screws up with the back line of the traps.  I then lightly traced the ear with pencil on the helmet so I could trim and place repeatedly without having to realign it.  
once this was done, just start trimming small amounts at a time like the tutorials show.

Go slow and remember. The screen ones used were not perfect.

Hey Carter. It’s a good start. The ears are tough. Each one took me a few hours to get trimmed.  

when I did mine, I followed the tutorial that I posted below.  
Before attaching or fine trimming  the ears, I placed them in the correct alignment to line the screws up with the back line of the traps.  I then lightly traced the ear with pencil on the helmet so I could trim and place repeatedly without having to realign it.  
once this was done, just start trimming small amounts at a time like the tutorials show.

Go slow and remember. The screen ones used were not perfect.

Thank you so very much for this link. I took a look at it last night and it was incredibly helpful. I’ll be using this as I go forward

• Like 1

So, I decided to right my wrongs, and start over on the helmet. I ordered 2 new pairs of wars from trooper bay last night, so they should arrive relatively soon. In addition, I also filled my rivet/screw holes with ABS paste, and will sand it once it’s dried:
4f728b221ab8beb4791e92fbcde45ed2.jpg
e47c53efa24f6f9d3d9f984ce3e85c51.jpg
11ea02a8aeb054d1722edb376db9b938.jpg
c3f67265c4132441098c18472a7ea937.jpg

I know that I’m the only one who would really be able to tell, but could someone with a better eye let me know if my cuts look incorrect? Again I’m still concerned with the angle that I had to put the ears at, I feel like it’s too steep. Also, does the brow need to be taken up more? If you look near my traps, I still have cutting room. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

20 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Forgot to add-  There are a few quality canvas belt vendors out there, but I have always ordered mine from Rob at Imperial Issue (link here).  Outstanding quality, made to order (custom fit) and great customer service!

Thank you so much! I stumbled across him on eBay, but I generally hate eBay, and wasn't sure if he was trustworthy or not, so thank you for confirming!