BlueBantha's Tall (6'2") MTK Kit Build

bluebantha

Hey all, my name is Carter (BlueBanthaProps), and although the kit has not been delivered yet, I wanted to create a build thread for my soon to be delivered MTK Kit!

I recently was denied approval to the legion with a WTF Shadow Trooper kit, as it was deemed too small by my GML, although it was built correctly. I wanted to create a thread here so I can get some help along the way, to assure this fits me, and could be applicable for approval!

As mentioned in the title, I'm tall, 6'2", but far from the tallest trooper I've seen. This being the case, Knee and elbow gaps become a problem. On top of this, I have rather broad shoulders, which make the shoulder bells sit farther from the chest than I would like. All things considered, I would however like to attempt a centurion build. I've seen troopers my height make an MTK kit work, but, if I end up having problems, WTF makes extended forearms, and RWA makes extended shins. (This however would be a last resort type thing, as I do believe this kit can fit me)

So, now that I've gotten all of that out of the way, I'm incredibly eager to get excited, and I want to take my time on this one to assure I get everything right. Any guidance, assistance, and tips from the veterans on this forum would be so greatly appreciated!

May the force be with you all!

Hello and welcome aboard looking forward to seeing your BBB photos when your kit arrived.

Generally for the taller broader frame we would recommend an AM kit (Dave's Darkside Depot), but as you've already ordered a MTK may just have to play around with the gaps and strapping and see how you go.

Plenty of folk on the forum ready to assist with your build.

If you haven't already check out this thread, everything you need to know for a Stromtrooper build :D 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Carter!

You will find no shortage of assistance here, so ask plenty of questions and ch out a few build threads to give you some ideas.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Hello and welcome aboard looking forward to seeing your BBB photos when your kit arrived.

Generally for the taller broader frame we would recommend an AM kit (Dave's Darkside Depot), but as you've already ordered a MTK may just have to play around with the gaps and strapping and see how you go.

Plenty of folk on the forum ready to assist with your build.

If you haven't already check out this thread, everything you need to know for a Stromtrooper build :D 

Thanks so much for linking me to that thread, greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, bluebantha said:

Here’s an exciting update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5140.jpg

That's a pretty special order number ;) 

Great news

Just now, bluebantha said:

That it is! So excited. Updates will come as soon as it arrives!

So you are prepared for posting images, most of us use a free online image host as the forums only allow a small amount of attachments, this is the thread you are looking for for info ;) 

So you are prepared for posting images, most of us use a free online image host as the forums only allow a small amount of attachments, this is the thread you are looking for for info  

Thanks for sending that over! I’ve used Imgur before, but I find it’s easier to use Tapatalk, so that’s what I’ve been using!

Welcome Carter! I'm sure you're excited about your upcoming BBB day! The rest of us will love to see photos when that time comes! And I'm personally excited to see how your MTK build goes; I know Mike has been hard at work at pulling all that plastic for his run these past several weeks!

Like you, I also love using Tapatalk, though unfortunately my app notifications on it ceased to work on my iPhone several months ago. By chance do yours still function properly? It's not the first time I've experienced that, and a year or two ago there was some system changes that the FISD IT team had to make to maintain certain function compatibility for the forum and Tapatalk.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:48 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

Welcome Carter! I'm sure you're excited about your upcoming BBB day! The rest of us will love to see photos when that time comes! And I'm personally excited to see how your MTK build goes; I know Mike has been hard at work at pulling all that plastic for his run these past several weeks!

Like you, I also love using Tapatalk, though unfortunately my app notifications on it ceased to work on my iPhone several months ago. By chance do yours still function properly? It's not the first time I've experienced that, and a year or two ago there was some system changes that the FISD IT team had to make to maintain certain function compatibility for the forum and Tapatalk.

Hi Caleb! I experience spotty notifications with Tapatalk, but when I get invested in a build thread, I check it like a madman, so it hasnt bothered me, I wont get notifications for a day lets say, and then theyll all come in at once the next day. Its odd.

Just now, bluebantha said:

BBB is looking like its arriving tomorrow!

Exciting times, looking forward to seeing those BBB photos 

:popcorn:

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, bluebantha said:

Hey all, my name is Carter (BlueBanthaProps), and although the kit has not been delivered yet, I wanted to create a build thread for my soon to be delivered MTK Kit!

I recently was denied approval to the legion with a WTF Shadow Trooper kit, as it was deemed too small by my GML, although it was built correctly. I wanted to create a thread here so I can get some help along the way, to assure this fits me, and could be applicable for approval!

As mentioned in the title, I'm tall, 6'2", but far from the tallest trooper I've seen. This being the case, Knee and elbow gaps become a problem. On top of this, I have rather broad shoulders, which make the shoulder bells sit farther from the chest than I would like. All things considered, I would however like to attempt a centurion build. I've seen troopers my height make an MTK kit work, but, if I end up having problems, WTF makes extended forearms, and RWA makes extended shins. (This however would be a last resort type thing, as I do believe this kit can fit me)

So, now that I've gotten all of that out of the way, I'm incredibly eager to get excited, and I want to take my time on this one to assure I get everything right. Any guidance, assistance, and tips from the veterans on this forum would be so greatly appreciated!

May the force be with you all!

I am building an amor kit from MTK too!! I got mine a couple weeks ago. I am almost 6 foot with boots and rather “built” for a female (176 lbs i workout everyday) so far it’s fitting amazing. 
My build thread is sub par and lacking pictures but I’m working on adding more. 
keep us updated on yours! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paige said:

I am building an amor kit from MTK too!! I got mine a couple weeks ago. I am almost 6 foot with boots and rather “built” for a female (176 lbs i workout everyday) so far it’s fitting amazing. 
My build thread is sub par and lacking pictures but I’m working on adding more. 
keep us updated on yours! 

I actually stumbled upon your earlier today! Excited to see some more updates, and ill certainly be referencing it during my build!

• Like 2

Ladies, gentlemen, anyone in between, Big Brown Box Day has arrived!
9279ab064a53a617a08880ba4af4839f.jpg
bc8ff1ae37dc43cff469379840c44ce3.jpg

Do you think the FedEx driver knew they were carrying precious imperial cargo? Likely not. Regardless, this MTK kit is absolutely phenomenal, and I can’t wait to get started! Smaller than my Anovos kit, but slightly larger than my WTF kit. Mike was gracious enough to include two sets of ears in his kits (which I will undoubtedly be utilizing both) , as well as gloves, decals, and all the necessary helmet hardware required.

My next step will be properly sorting the shins, biceps, and forearms.

I’ll be purchasing rubber hand guards soon, as I’m aiming for centurion, so any help in that area will be greatly appreciated.

With all that out of the way, any recommendations on what piece I should start with? I have an audition later on this evening, but once I get back, I’m all in on this kit!

• Like 1

Great news, happy dance :dancing-trooper:

No really easy part for your first cut, make sure you measure twice and cut once, when in doubt check with our gallery sections

Personally I started on the Detonator I thought that would be an easy piece, just check your measurements ;)

852626222_TDreference.jpg.f4d3885667f77b66a973f25161626b33.jpg

therm2.jpg.6718cad92af4b622ad8b665bee4b405c.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on your BBB. Keep that photo of all the armour pieces on the floor to show people who have no idea what is involved in making the costume what it starts like.  

I started with the biceps since they were fairly straightforward.  Just make sure that they are not upside down like I did when I couldn’t figure out why they weren’t fitting right.

hQhi1PN.jpg

Hey guys! Ok, we have our first update!

I took the advice of@gmrhodes13 and@doggydoc , and I started out with the thermal detonator and the arms. So, here are some photos

Thermal detonator:
d901b740b0f21f10452a9b9c0094f015.jpg

48f02c8476f132516ec0578a15a810cd.jpg
faa217d7f0c69219e4f824cca5f97d27.jpg
So, the tube obviously is not painted, but I just wanted to cut out the pieces and put them in place to see if I was on track!

The shoulder bells:
52d6f33a812916102373c07e9ac375d0.jpg
d0429a2004ba786738418ad6e75e1f00.jpg
I removed all return edges on these

The biceps:
38592849aab9de75de76f5237031c742.jpg
b0568843f64731692651382bc00e0ee6.jpg
c8a093dc5640be6a84c4a9bb7779ec96.jpg
aaa9d243db9a3324f87e62270668787b.jpg
Here, I also left no return edges. I don’t like the way they feel, and to my knowledge, they are not required on the biceps.

The forearms:
c5955469b48a0df9f8979476c909242c.jpg
32223633e3e80921d1a2887cafe6e606.jpg
432e4887a257dfea540095668436565d.jpg
5921de0c20adbe1c311c8560b1d9aecb.jpg
ab3d546d028200918a49ecaf5d024290.jpg
Here, I removed all return at the wrist (as per centurion requirements) as well as the upper forearm returns as well

So,with all of this, I have a few questions/comments

First, I want to make sure that my lack of return edges on the arms are ok. I believe they are, but I always have my doubts

Second, the purple tape on the pieces marks 15mm, the full width of the cover strips for the arms. I do know that I’ll need to reduce that by 50% on either side, but I wanted to leave some extra room.

Third, is a question regarding the biceps. As I’ve mentioned, I’m aiming for centurion, and I wanted to know if it is allowable to keep some of the flat bicep edge visible beyond the cover strip? My last kit, I didn’t leave any extra flat area, and the pieces were too small. My biceps are slightly larger, and I don’t know the best way to remedy that.

Fourth, I have not cut out the hand pieces, as I plan on purchasing rubber ones.

Lastly, I want to make sure that 15mm is indeed the correct width for the arm strips? I cut one strip out, and triple check that it is 15mm, and it seems small. That being said, it’s very possible that I’m delusional lol
5067f1246136625f5edcec8a5d7c0aad.jpg
131105e7914d4f9f666ef4236f04adb7.jpg

Well, that’s all from me for now! Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! I’m taking this slow, so I’m not in a hurry. Hope you’re all having a great day!

Smart move on leaving the extra room.  Once you have them trimmed down like you do, you can now tape the 2 halves together and figure out the fit, then trim what you need.

I also have slightly larger biceps and forearms, so my cover strips were 20 mm I believe.  15 mm is pretty thin when you actually look at it.  The issue that caught me was the space between the cover strip and edge of the forearm was too wide when I applied for certification and I had to trim a bit down.  so I would lean to widening the cover strip to better cover the raised flat area.

Some of the more experienced builders can please correct me, but from what I understand, the 15 mm is screen accurate but if you need larger, it will not affect your approval as long as it looks proportional.  The thing to aim for however is that the width of the cover strip on the forearm and biceps is the same to give the uniform appearance running down the length of the arm  (same for shins and thighs).