TheRascalKing's Denuo Novo First Order TK Build Thread

TheRascalKing

(Please bear with me as I update and reorganize - it is a TON of additional work to document... a ton of work! I decided to commit to a more thorough build guide if it helps people, but wanted to get some work done and a framework set up before inviting comments. I will be continually editing the original posts as well as adding, then linking in the OP, more information as I go. Thank you!)

TMur0UI.pngEz0LMlt.pngLtGm0aC.png

uasclNy.pngmte6o3r.png8jYybT1.png

jqzeeTY.pngk447Ej7.png

Sections, Navigation & Check List:

Helmet Options Discussion

a. Anovos TLJ - Fiberglass (Out of Production)

b. Anovos TFA - Plastic/Fiberglass (Out of Production)

c. KB Props TFA or TLJ - Slush cast resin

- KB Props TLJ Helmet Project

d. Hasbro Black Series TLJ - Plastic (Modification required)

e. Denuo Novo TFA/TLJ - Fiberglass (Potentially Available Q1 2023)

f. 3D Printed

1. Chest and Back Yoke

a. Chest and Back Trimming

- 01A Inner Chest

- 01B Outer Chest

- 01C - Back

b. Chest and Back Assembly

c. Shoulder Bell Support Bracket/Tab

d. Seams?

2. Shoulders

a. Shoulder Bell Trimming

- 02A/B Shoulder Bell Trimming

- 02C/D Support Lip Trimming

b. Shoulder Support Lip Assembly

c. Shoulder Bell Strapping

3/4. Biceps

a. Bicep Trimming

- 03/04A Outer Bicep Trimming

- 03/04B Inside Bicep Trimming

b. Bicep Assembly

c. Bicep Strapping

5/6. Forearms

a. Forearm Trimming

- 05/06A Forearm Top Trimming

- 05/06B Forearm Bottom Trimming

- 05/06C Forearms Box Trimming

b. Forearm Assembly

7/8. Hand Plates 

a. 07/08 Hand Plate Trimming

b. Hand Plate Accuracy Update

c. Hand Plate Attachment

9. Torso

1. Torso Trimming

- 09A Torso Front Trimming

- 09B Torso Back Trimming

b. Torso Assembly

c. Torso Rear Closure

d. Torso Strapping (Suspenders)

e. Ab Box Paint

f. Ab Box Assembly

g. Roman Skirt Strapping

10. Spine Plate & Thermal Detonator

a. 10 Spine Plate Trimming

b. Thermal Detonator Accuracy Update

c. Thermal Detonator Paint

d. Thermal Detonator Decals

e. Spine Plate/TD Assembly

11. Belt

12. Cod

a. 12 Cod Trimming

b. Cod Strapping/Mounting

13. Posterior/Culet 

a. 13 Posterior Plate Trimming

b. Posterior Plate Strapping/Mounting

14/15. Thighs

a. Thigh Trimming

- 14A/B Thigh Front Trimming

- 15A/B Thigh Back Trimming

b. Thigh Holster Mounting

c. Thigh Holster Accuracy Update

d. Thigh Strapping

16. Knees

a. 16A/B Knee Trimming

b. Knee Mounting

17/18. Shin/Calves

a. Shin/Calf Trimming

- 17A/B Shin Trimming

- 18A/B Calf Trimming

b. 25 & 26. "Kit-Kat" and Shin/Calf Assembly

19. Spats

a. 19A/B & 20A/B Spat Trimming

b. Spat Accuracy Update

Soft Goods Discussion

20. Belt

21. Gloves

22. Boots

23. Neckseal, Undersuit/Gaskets & Shiny Shorts

24. Accessories

Edited by TheRascalKing
Now with links and prices for most items!
  • Like 5

Below are the parts I'll be using for my build and a few prices and links:

TLJ Armor

Armor = Denuo Novo ($700*)

Helmet = Anovos TLJ plastic

Boot Maker = Imperial Boots Keep Trooping "Trooper" ($120)

Gloves = Endor Finders ($55)

Belt = Denuo Novo

Belt Pouches = Denuo Novo + Trooperbay ($68) 

Neck Seal = Sheev's Emporium ($65)

Holster = Dantooine Props (€75*)

Handguards = Dantooine Props

Spats = Sanotized Creations ($35)

Greeblies = 3D Printed, mrpoopie/TheRascalKing files

Thermal Detonator = 3D Printed, Jesse M files 

Gaskets = Sheev's Emporium

F-11D Blaster =  Classified

Shoulder Bell Support Brackets = @ukswrath 
Chest Pill Mesh = @ukswrath

TFA Conversion

Helmet = Anovos TFA w/ VaderPainter Aerator

Forearms = Imperial Surplus ($105)

Cod = Imperial Surplus ($45)

Thermal Detonator = Denuo Novo

Executioner Conversion

Helmet = KB Props ($150*)? with Ople Props Lense ($31)

Back Yoke = Imperial Surplus ($160)

Shoulders = Imperial Surplus ($55)

Decals = Trooperbay ($8)

Primer = SEM 39133 Flexible Primer Surfacer and SEM 42043 White High Build Primer

Paint = SprayMAX 2K DTM Gloss White Topcoat  Custom color-matched aerosol white Behr Premium #52 White Gloss Paint + Primer ($6/can)

BPrices and links are for US and do not include shipping, but might help to know when available! *'s indicate the list price, but that I purchased them at a discount.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

Soft Goods & Accessories Discussion

Placing this section a bit out of order near the top, because I'm sure many people are will be wondering... what else do I need order to finish out the suit? Well, let's get into it.

21. Gloves

As far as I am aware, there are currently two options for gloves - either Endor Finders on the left, or TrooperBay on the right. Both have their benefits, which I'll get into, but overall, I think I prefer the Endor Finders.

6B8Iprk.jpgbZ0MfIa.jpg

Endor Finders

sxz8c5a.jpg3rGTzjp.jpg0UprugQ.jpgnD1hITB.jpg

In general, I feel the Endor Finders are ever so slightly higher quality, though the soft inner lining will likely get removed, as I did with my all black Rogue One TK gloves from them. I'd rather have cooler hands in the California heat. Both sets of gloves had visible purple staining on the white leather as delivered, from the black thread in the palms and likely just transfer from the material, and the EF gloves also had a clear imprint where the outline of the thumb left a slight impression on the leather of the palm as well. If I purchased these again, I would go for the option to have white palm thread, and while less accurate, I would likely (painstakingly) color in the thread myself with a black paint pen or something that would not stain purple (NOT SHARPIE). 

TrooperBay

7Yh1233.jpg8JwevBX.jpg

nad3NTS.jpgF1YlYu5.jpg

These were an older pair of gloves from TrooperBay that came with my fiberglass kit purchase years ago, so I will say I am unsure of the quality when new. They're decent gloves overall, but pretty thin and they are also stained purple on the white leather all over.

The handguards are resin cast from original, from Dantooine Props and attached with velcro to the gloves.

22. Boots

I have had a pair of boots from Imperial Boots Keep Trooping since I started my ROTK project and will be utilizing them. They're high quality, fit great, and are more comfortable than disco boots.

TRPS-W-Large.jpegOqB1gVm.jpg

23. Neckseal, Undersuit/Gaskets & Shiny Shorts

8iNqTFq.jpgYZdjGYK.jpg

I'll likely be using my neckseal and  shirt from Sheev's Emporium (which has the awesome and accurate angle change on the arm gasket ribbing), and knee gaskets. I originally ordered them with pants, but I think I'm just going to cut the pants part off of it and have them be sleeves with velcro on the ends like the Denuo Novo ones, but so that they match. The pants were a good idea and they are generally well-made, but make things more complicated.

The shiny shorts are from Teresa at Geeky Pink's Phantastic Gaskets, who also make excellent soft parts for FOTKs.

The included Denuo Novo gaskets actually look okay but would need to be tailored and are oddly just like... inside out. They have a more shiny/rubbery interior and a cloth exterior - I would just wear them inside out, but would need to remove and resew the velcro, and turn the seams inside out as well. Maybe if I'm having them tailored to fit anyways, but probably not worth the time when I have my Sheev ones. I have no interest in owning actual rubber gaskets at this time and consider their specific mention unnecessary even at L3 - no way would I survive trooping in the Southern California heat anyways.

If that's your thing, I believe they are available from Thorsson and Associates.

24. Belt Pouches

It should be noted that the tallest pouch that Denuo Novo included does not really fit the largest belt box plate (38A), so I will be utilizing one from TrooperBay instead.

FuKi7NZ.jpg0XCRfXp.jpg

25. Blaster

26. Accessories

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

• TheRascalKing changed the title to TheRascalKing's Denuo Novo First Order TK Build Thread *Restructuring*
  • TheRascalKing locked this topic

Helmet Options Discussion

a. Anovos TLJ - Plastic or Fiberglass (Out of Production)

This is the primary helmet that I will be using with this kit and am very lucky to have picked it up a New In Box plastic version off eBay recently, as they are getting rather difficult to find (and therefore, expensive!). If you see one, snap it up. I believe these were among the last items actually delivered by Anovos in limited numbers, and that they were briefly available for purchase the Disney Parks as well. I have a plastic version of both Anovos helmets and prefer them over the fiberglass version - I actually had one for a while that I got again on eBay for a great deal, but sold to a garrison mate, as it was too heavy for my liking, and the paint job was "good" at best, with a few spiderwebs and minor imperfections. The TLJ should be ready to wear right out of the box and features the correct "teeth" and more peaked nose that are the hallmarks of the TLJ update. They also utilize the correct TLJ-style helmet clips without the trapezoidal indent in the head and are very high quality, so I don't feel the need to replace them. I may try to heat and reshape the chin later, or look into replacing with a metal aerator at a late time. I also may mask it and try to paint the inside black, but the shape with the lip at the neck seal is daunting. At 767.1g = 0.8kg = 1.7lbs, it is the lightest of the several I have tried, and I think the best available that you can find... if you can find one.

6d13c90d-fd3a-4a28-a908-03d35e005455.jpg25d96f08-2f1a-4aef-af4d-156e3077f0b0.jpgc4b262de-e109-4edb-92c5-36651abe3ce3.jpgb76e7a27-35fd-456f-ba64-ecfd21f0de6e.jpg

5vctk8D.jpg

b. Anovos TFA - Plastic/Fiberglass (Out of Production)

By contrast, the Anovos TFA in both plastic and fiberglass are readily available on eBay and can usually be had for $250-300USD, but often much cheaper if you keep an eye out. As mentioned in my previous thread, this one I picked up from @Oztrooper by happenstance, and features a reshaped chin, metal aerator from VaderPainter, and a "hero" style neck seal trim. These are also great helmets, and able to be had at a reasonable price point and possibly converted to TLJ....... but won't pair with this TLJ suit without swapping out some other parts, which I address here(LINK).

1e5f0ade-480a-41ed-bae3-985d0aabb24e.jpg319c95fd-36ad-4f11-a11d-d8d8cbf5e8e8.jpg271d5f5f-52ee-46ed-ade4-4f388f5ad83d.jpgfirst_order_stormtrooper_helmet_b__09850.1441552248.png?c=2

c. KB Props TFA or TLJ - Slush cast resin

I picked up this resin slush cast TLJ helmet from Kevin during a sale when he was going through recent hard times. I like supporting other makers and hadn't found the Anovos at the time, so at 1197.5g = 1.2kg = 2.6lbs, this was my next best bet and plan B, though I think @Gh0stxxiv is going to take this one off my hands for his build, so it stays close. As delivered, the helmet did have a fair amount of bubbles, pinholes, low spots, and other imperfections, but nothing unexpected and on par or better than my Jimmiroquai fiberglass ROTK helmet. It had a pretty big seam on the back of the helmet, probably from where he pulls them out of the jacket, but it was sanded down and addressed with some 2-part reinforced filler (too thick for glazing putty!) and is all but gone. I also got bored and recut all of the lines on the helmet with a file to even and straight them out a bit and to make up for detail lost in priming. A final coat of primer and wet sand are next, then final paint with the color matched white and black details. I also suggested Michael order a new lens from Ople Props, as the included flat piece of smoked acrylic was pretty thick and would likely need to be heat shaped. I'll update in a post below as we work on finishing the helmet out. 

28xqtII.jpgPEG5daa.jpg

833jE9Q.jpgF8TEBZS.jpg

2FC6rwJ.jpg

d. Hasbro Black Series TLJ - Plastic (Modification required)

These are also a decent option, but only if you picked one up at or near the original MSRP of <$100USD. These are getting pricey as well and DO require some significant modification to make approvable. At a minimum, you'd want to repaint it to match the kit, as the white is very bright with blue notes that are noticeably different than the DN white. There are also visible speaker vents from the voice changer at the rear of the helmet, and an accent line missing just above them. These mods have been covered excellently over here, and might be a challenge, but still a decent option. This is also the heaviest of the helmets I had on hand at 1428g = 1.4kg = 3.2lbs (stock), but could likely be lightened up by removing much of the interior and voice changer electronics, then gluing it back together. 

F0012_PROD_SW_FO_TROOPER_0016_Online_300DPI_2000x.jpg?v=1614185673F0012_PROD_SW_FO_TROOPER_0030_Online_300DPI_2000x.jpg?v=1614185672F0012_PROD_SW_FO_TROOPER_0028_Online_300DPI_2000x.jpg?v=1614185672F0012_PROD_SW_FO_TROOPER_0019_Online_300DPI_2000x.jpg?v=1614185672

F0012_PROD_SW_FO_TROOPER_0036_Online_300DPI_2000x.jpg?v=16141856736s7TTMY.jpg

e. Denuo Novo TFA/TLJ - Fiberglass or Plastic

Denuo Novo has confirmed as recently as 10 October, 2022 at New York Comic Con that they intend to release First Order Stormtrooper helmets in fiberglass TFA, TLJ, and TLJ-E varieties in Q1 of 2023, but that's still a decent ways out and up to you if you choose to pre-order.

DN36431_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1664925964DN36431_3_720x.jpg?v=1664925964DN36431_2_720x.jpg?v=1664925964DN36431_4_1024x1024.jpg?v=1664925964

A TFA version will also be available, but not relevant to this kit as it arrives.

f. 3D Printed

There are a few good files out there if you look, and with large format resin printers being able to do helmets on a single bed these days, it might not be the worst idea to print and finish a helmet, but I'm personally wary of print lines and the amount of time and effort it often takes to be sufficiently rid of them. I can't imagine being an easier or likely even cheaper process when you factor in time than ordering one from KB, but it's an option.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

01 Inner Chest

Inner Chest Trimming

fiuI6MY.pngkDPMkHU.png

KytkOih.jpgx2laDyF.jpg5jDnqpv.jpg

02 Outer Chest

Outer Chest Trimming

b3Yarp8.pngSbAKlAN.png

3p2vPZd.jpghSZSqqz.jpg1cZk2KZ.jpgcDepqdU.jpg

01C Back Yoke Trimming

s1kQikE.pnge9CQLUJ.png

vytovGX.jpgmwrmlBo.jpg

TaT1d2q.jpgNWXb1Ph.jpg

Outer Chest Assembly

Outer Chest Greeblies + Decals

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

02A/B/C/D - Shoulders

02A/B Shoulder Trimming

FO6XPO0.png

EUiWmss.jpg

Though I believe the first wave of kits included shoulder bells that were still joined, mine had been separated and were pretty well pre-trimmed. There was additional material beyond the cut line at the top and in the curves that I removed, but very little. 

02C/D Support Lip Trimming

kqJpmlZ.png

IUNqiEz.jpg

Nco46XC.jpg

The shoulder lips had very clear cut lines and I removed all return edge, and rounded the edges with a emory board like most of the pieces of the kit. 

• Like 1

Biceps

03A/B & 04A/B

a. 03/04A Outer Bicep Trimming

R22vPos.png

b. 03/04B Inside Bicep Trimming

y35OPn2.png

c. Bicep Assembly

Screen Reference

ZEnYMF0.jpg

• Like 1

Forearms

a. 05/06A Forearm Top Trimming

rZXVoA5.pngybtoCYX.png

Okay, one of the most important things on this kit... DO NOT TRIM YOUR FOREARMS AS SHOWN ABOVE. I've been led to believe that this particular forearm shape has not actually been seen anywhere in canon, even the "Finn Mod". I highly recommend cutting as below, or being prepared to rebuild the forearm shape with scrap and slurry.

29W4KqN.jpg

57RTkzx.jpg

Ce4xBlO.jpgC5LXeg7.jpg

57RTkzx.jpgftN21PT.jpg

b. 05/06B Forearm Bottom Trimming

C4AxqIy.png

NiS8fX1.jpg

42CbTL6.jpg

c. 05/06C Forearms Box Trimming

gZ9r59a.png

QUB3uk7.jpg

pRaIhDP.jpg

d. Forearm Assembly

3WAcNnQ.png

9jTPk4N.jpg

I E6000'ed the side of the forearm with the indents for the clips on each, then used clamps and neodymium magnets (alternating the polarities as I carefully place them) to keep the gaps tight while they dry. As always, I lightly scuff any surface that I'm gluing first, for maximum mechanical and chemical bond.

jkXaGTu.jpg

Finally, I used some ultra-thin Velcro to secure the open side, so I can open them up slightly and still fit my hand through.

e. Forearm Box Assembly

H7aqDb2.jpg

YROEsgQ.jpg

f. Forearm Rail Accuracy Update

Instead of using the included rails, which are more appropriate for use with a TFA-style suit, I will be using a set of the rails that I worked with mrpoopie to model and make available to the club, which feature a provision for the proper M5 domed hex-head bolt. These were printed in resin, then primed and sprayed with the Behr Premium Gloss White.

LfKTpl1.jpgLHQoPjG.jpg

Let's put some stickers on next! Lots of stickers on the forearms... I tried to frame it to show where the sticker came from and where it goes as best I can. I used an razor blade to pick up the stickers without touching the bottoms, then a mist of soapy water to "float" them into place, then squeegee out the moisture with a Q-tip.

ufIzbaf.jpgl9Msb6Z.jpg

dSyxY1p.jpgD82lWGa.jpg

Each sticker reeeally only fits in one place, so you get the idea. Finally, I added two small clips to each forearm, with the heads facing TOWARDS the wrist box.

LP6vU65.jpg

And we'll call that done! Official pics will come with my eventual submission, but these should give you an idea of the completed forearms.

vlExl26.jpguNgr7UM.jpg

ugf0jbW.jpgyRNiLXW.jpg

Another unusual characteristic of this kit is the forearm shape, which is not particularly similar to how they probably should be shaped... but short of completely rebuilding and reshaping them, I've pretty much confirmed that this is how they are supposed to look as designed.

DPrvW84.jpghSVSHWE.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Hand Plates 

a. 07/08 Hand Plate Trimming

S7S4uEx.png

b. Hand Plate Accuracy Update

EHu74Fk.jpgS6YzOB8.jpg

Wx9mSp7.jpgh0OUU6t.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Torso

a. 09A Torso Front Trimming

8C3jk4G.pngBKdyHK3.png

EWkaOkV.jpgOoahI3h.jpg

UaVGK1R.jpgONEWP8A.jpg

b. 09B Torso Back Trimming

E9OcFGB.pnggmfA5Fi.jpg

e15kalA.pngUHciHbn.jpg0h2OHhb.jpg

c. Torso Assembly

d. Ab Box Paint

e. Ab Box Assembly

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Spine Plate & Thermal Detonator

a. 10 Spine Plate Trimming

x2LmymP.png

HJXK5h5.jpgRJeSkT1.jpg

b. Thermal Detonator Accuracy Update

The included resin TD is HEAVY. I might try to have a friend drill it out their drill press or mill if I can, but it's silly as is. Also, interestingly enough, though the rest of the suit is solidly intended as a "The Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker" kit, but the solid TD is more appropriate for the TFA version. As such, I'll likely use the milled out DN TD for TFA, then print a more accurate TLJ TD with the separate interior cannister using Jesse M's files.

9BXFdaC.jpg

c. Thermal Detonator Paint

d. Thermal Detonator Decals

e. Spine Plate/TD Assembly

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Cod

a. 12 Cod Trimming

iHKEJdp.png

9qmQJq7.jpgs6Ok8b7.jpg

b. Cod Strapping

c. TFA Cod Update

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Thighs

a. 14A/B Thigh Front Trimming

VdtAjg1.pngM915P9P.png5csFo8O.png

b. 15A/B Thigh Back Trimming

jCebuQ7.pngiD4Qlzm.png

a. Holster Accuracy Update

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Spats

a. 19A/B & 20A/B Spat Trimming

pbnCV7i.pngFSy4pWr.pngUVpLtYR.png

b. Spat Accuracy Update

3GlM5tB.jpg

Dino of Sanotized Creations makes an awesome pair of flexible spats and was kind enough to meet up with me at Celebration to deliver! They're made of a flexible resin and are of very high quality.

• Like 1

• TheRascalKing changed the title to TheRascalKing's Denuo Novo First Order TK Build Thread
  • TheRascalKing unlocked and locked this topic

And so it begins, as so many journeys do, with a Big Brown Box on the porch, out of nowhere...

reImw7x.jpg

han-solo-shrug.gif

So let's get into this! What's supposed to be in the box?

UxAeTbo.jpg

GaFs5MN.jpg

QtCJPxg.jpg

More later, but I started very rough trimming off the obviously unused excess plastic before I threw it back in the box. Thus far, I am VERY impressed with the quality of the pulls. My hand hurts from the shears though, so I'll get back on it later this week!

KVlk7yb.jpg

Soft goods not really pictured since I'll likely only be using the belt. I also placed my order with Imperial Surplus today, so I should have a complete set of spare forearms, a TFA cod, and a separate thigh holster riser, among a few other goodies, on their way in a few weeks. I also added some prices and links to my first post so people know what I'm using, if curious. I'm getting excited for this build!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

Quick update! 

41ZBXvf.jpg

I'm just about done rough trimming with lexan shears and am moving on to the final trim with the rotary tool w/ 80grit flappy wheel and edge sanding mostly with fine Emory boards for all pieces. The ab and belt boxes, knees, spats, handguards, posterior, and cod are about done and ready for paint prep! The kit has pretty straightforward cut lines in most places but a few spots I've waited on to ensure I have them totally accurate when I final trim and sand. I'm hoping to only need to use the body filler for the sides of the ab and the shoulders. The rest of the joins, if prepared correctly, should be able to overlap and be glued with ease.

• Like 1

Shoulder Lip Assembly

After scuffing the contact surfaces, I applied E6000 and multiple n52 neodymium magnets from the center out. I went a little overboard, but want tight, clean lines and strong bonds at all of my joints, so getting good and somewhat even clamping pressure is key. I positioned them so that just the raised "lip" portion stuck out - about 15mm or so if I remember.

RNzbjWx.jpg

lAr9Cjc.jpg

I found the center of both pieces with a fabric measuring tape and did my best to align them consistently.

6e1rxJG.jpg

Here is a finished shoulder bell.

tTtRU02.jpg

7gdhqvj.jpg

Screen Reference

PtUxRLD.jpg

The shoulder bell sits on a support tab that can also be seen here, and will be addressed over here(link).

• Like 2

Okay, I think there's enough in here to unlock and unhide this thread and have some value. I ended up heavily restructuring but have at least the Denuo Novo trimming instruction photos linked for everything and should be adding my own photos of additional trimmed pieces this week, as well as assembly posts as I work my way down the arms. I threw out my back this week and have been very busy at work, so it's slow going, but hopefully even so far this helps someone or stimulates some discussion. Troopers helping troopers and all that! 

• Like 1