Ranger's Artillery Trooper Research/Build

1 minute ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Great news! Jim got back to me, his helmets have the chin gap detail molded in, so I suppose I’d just have to color it in black. And he said he can also do the pauldron in the custom yellow color as well.

Great news, just be a case of matching the paint color to the pauldron, I would however just check on the color of Jim's pauldron to see if it matches the references just in case. Some custom automotive paint suppliers can color match so it may be worth looking into that at some stage, I use automotive acrylic paint for my painted suits.

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Great news, just be a case of matching the paint color to the pauldron, I would however just check on the color of Jim's pauldron to see if it matches the references just in case. Some custom automotive paint suppliers can color match so it may be worth looking into that at some stage, I use automotive acrylic paint for my painted suits.

Do you think the paint would be able to match the pauldron? In my opinion the pauldron seems a bit more tan than the paint of you compare the two.

reposting again

IMG_7180.png

actually, looking at the two again.... they do look to be the same color, just fabric obviously won’t gleam as well as painted plastic does.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

actually, looking at the two again.... they do look to be the same color, just fabric obviously won’t gleam as well as painted plastic does.

I agree, and this is outside and the pauldron has sun on that side, we also see this with other pauldron's as well. I would try to match as closely as you can.

If you look at the standee (inside shot no doubt) looks pretty much the same color

FB_IMG_1601961535709.jpg

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I agree, and this is outside and the pauldron is has sun on that side, we also see this with other pauldron's as well. I would try to match as closely as you can.

If you look at the standee (inside shot no doubt) looks pretty much the same color

FB_IMG_1601961535709.jpg

I’m buying that standee for reference. :laugh1:

I’ll take any good references I can get.

• Like 2

So I put the Sideshow AT next to the screen-used AT from the standee, and it's much easier to make some observations when the two are right next to each other.

troopers.png

For example, the screen-used trooper might not used the ribbed undersuit. It seems to use an untextured black undersuit.

Looking closely, it's hard to tell if those are ribs or wrinkles. Can somebody with a sharper eye chime in?

44 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

So I put the Sideshow AT next to the screen-used AT from the standee, and it's much easier to make some observations when the two are right next to each other.

troopers.png

For example, the screen-used trooper might not used the ribbed undersuit. It seems to use an untextured black undersuit.

Looking closely, it's hard to tell if those are ribs or wrinkles. Can somebody with a sharper eye chime in?

All new generation troopers use the ribbed undersuit as standard. Only question is if it's ribbed at the thigh/seat, which did change between Rogue One and the TV shows from my understanding.

13 minutes ago, TheRascalKing said:

All new generation troopers use the ribbed undersuit as standard. Only question is if it's ribbed at the thigh/seat, which did change between Rogue One and the TV shows from my understanding.

So I'll definitely be getting a new suit then. Jimmi's looks great so I'll just get that with my armor kit.

As for the thighs/seat, I'd say so. I took the picture of the Celebration trooper and brightened it up, there's definitely ribbing there.

bae13f4c7d.jpg

Very hard with the references so far, other TK's in this episode don't appear to have ribbing at the thighs but definitely we can see on the knee,

knee.png.4a29e9ac24e7690c5a066fbb004e047e.png

rib.thumb.png.b6c384a1361d910789898b3af31dced1.pngart2.thumb.png.f589c8ddba7dfce2ccfbe396b4da1c76.png

58 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Very hard with the references so far, other TK's in this episode don't appear to have ribbing at the thighs but definitely we can see on the knee,

knee.png.4a29e9ac24e7690c5a066fbb004e047e.png

rib.thumb.png.b6c384a1361d910789898b3af31dced1.pngart2.thumb.png.f589c8ddba7dfce2ccfbe396b4da1c76.png

I’m leaning towards just getting a regular suit like all the other ones to start, then modifying it if it comes out the thighs are indeed unribbed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

I’m leaning towards just getting a regular suit like all the other ones to start, then modifying it if it comes out the thighs are indeed unribbed.

Sounds like a plan, easier to add on than take off. I know the ribbed thigh areas are there in Obi-Wan just haven't found a good enough reference from The Mandalorian as yet

obi-wan-kenobi1x03_1500.thumb.jpg.f51bca22e04950586e13c903fee86bca.jpg

thigh.thumb.png.66e150c9a62754293102e96e8b79307d.png

FB_IMG_1654152663948.jpg

25 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Sounds like a plan, easier to add on than take off. I know the ribbed thigh areas are there in Obi-Wan just haven't found a good enough reference from The Mandalorian as yet

obi-wan-kenobi1x03_1500.thumb.jpg.f51bca22e04950586e13c903fee86bca.jpg

thigh.thumb.png.66e150c9a62754293102e96e8b79307d.png

FB_IMG_1654152663948.jpg

I went back and rewatched the scene with Boba, and there’s a part where he flips the commander.

IMG_7193.png

Sorry about the somewhat poor quality, I’m mobile right now.

1 minute ago, TheLoneRanger said:

I went back and rewatched the scene with Boba, and there’s a part where he flips the commander.

IMG_7193.png

Sorry about the somewhat poor quality, I’m mobile right now.

I posted this one earlier, same trooper ;) 

rib.png

7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Forgot I had this image

6MTUNnR.thumb.jpg.d2803f8a12643503d1c5df29fd48140f.jpg

That is a GREAT image. I’m going to use that one to find the right color paint. 
Also gives us the name of the mortar launcher. Model 201.

I’ll work on photoshopping that later for the CRL 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

That is a GREAT image. I’m going to use that one to find the right color paint. 
Also gives us the name of the mortar launcher. Model 201.

I’ll work on photoshopping that later for the CRL 

I thought that may be like that one :D 

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I thought that may be like that one :D 

I just noticed, the artillery trooper is NOT wearing his own thermal detonator in the show, despite the Sideshow figure depicting him with one.

IMG_7197.png

An argument could theoretically be made the first detonator he launches could have been the one on his belt, but that pack sits way too low and obstructs where the detonator would rest.

9 minutes ago, TheLoneRanger said:

I just noticed, the artillery trooper is NOT wearing his own thermal detonator in the show, despite the Sideshow figure depicting him with one.

An argument could theoretically be made the first detonator he launches could have been the one on his belt, but that pack sits way too low and obstructs where the detonator would rest.

My thoughts exactly, I noticed this when the figures where released, perhaps worn without the backpack as shown in the Hot Toys promo pics

Black Series 

artillerytrooper_hasbro_TBS_cover_1.jpg

Hot Toys

artillery-stormtrooper_star-wars_gallery

I updated my shopping list based on what's been discussed here.

Helmet: Jimmiroquai

Armor: Jimmiroquai

Gloves: R1 style gloves, in hand. (IB)

Boots: Imperial Boots - Anthology

(Backup pair of ANH style boots as a temporary stand-in)
Undersuit: Jimmiroquai

Neck seal: Included on Jim's suit

Pauldron: Jimmiroquai
Backpack: 3D printing using OxProps' files.

Mortar launcher: Also OxProps

• Like 1

New detail noticed:

There doesn't seem to be a zipper on the inside of the boot.

0101381a6f.jpg

It has the curved seam like the R1 boot but without the side zipper.

TK_R1_boots.jpg

A view of the back shows them with a strip of leather.

d624bf9187.jpg

So potentially R1 style boots without a zipper?