Shoulder strap cracking - how to fix?

Hi, I've now done my 4th troop and already, my suit is in need of repair, as you can see, I've now got a nice crack coming up on my shoulder strap, the other side has a couple of bits of paint missing too although I don't think it's cracked, what would you use to repair it and paint? Many thanks for your help c43ebcf235b2ad50ec3ca6af52e2de12.jpg6f358a8467725ce244aae68273c54ee5.jpg

I find adding a piece of ABS plastic behind helps stop them cracking. Make sure you sand both surfaces before adding E6000 to help it adhere. 

Something like this, not my photo but similar (disregard the cut out in end) 

YcfhE91.jpg

• Like 1

Also make sure (if you haven't already) you have elastic on the back to help keep them held down

AK9w0mr.jpg?1     lbfFArU.jpg?1     FAKhPZ2.jpg?1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jakebullet said:

Thanks, I'll glue some ABS to the back. I do have some elastic holding it down. What would you paint it with?

Just looking at your photos again and are the shoulder straps ABS plastic or rubber/silicon, I noticed the yellow color in the crack, they also look like they may have been painted previously.

Not a problem though you could still glue a piece of ABS behind, you may want to heat first and bend to match the shape. 

Once you have some plastic underneath and glued, if these are rubber/silicon straps I would use some paintable silicon to fill the gaps, allow to dry then paint.

I like to use water base acrylic paint, easy to mix and match coloring of armor (with a few test swatches of course). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakebullet said:

Thanks for the advice, it is latex so I'll get some white acrylic paint, you're right, it is already painted so should be fine with a fresh coat of paint hopefully

Don't see them very often on OTTK, it's more for ROTK.

I have found in the past that screen printing paint is was great on handquards and a good substitute if looking for paint that has to flex, but see how you go with acrylic paint and if it cracks as it's a little expensive 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

So, I had an amazing time at my first Celebration, it was so great seeing so many members from around the world, unfortunately after 4 days of trooping,  my shoulder bridges have taken even more of a battering, I've repainted them so many times already, I haven't kept up my troop log and I've done 21 troops already with Celebration and it keeps cracking so I think I'm going to replace them with the more traditional ABS. Does anybody have any shoulder bridges, ready to go preferably, if not, I'll see if Ross can send me some over, thanks

Hi Jim,

If you looking for new ABS shoulder straps I can recommend the ones from Troopermaster.

Paul is delivering great quality and is from UK. 
Should be easy for you to get them. 

• Like 1

I use a piece of ABS plastic just smaller than the actual shoulder strap, heat and bend to the shape, rough up with sandpaper and glue with E6000, gives some nice stiffness to the shoulder straps

• Like 2

I do the same as Glen, use a backing piece of either ABS or HIPS in this case to reinforce the area. You could make some ABS paste as well to reseal the crack/break and sand and polish to a clean finish.

HiZ3GlI.jpg

U1e4rub.jpg

• Like 1