AP Armor Size Help

2 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Thank you! Lots of effort. The help, inspiration and kind words have made this journey a good experience. 

Thanks Code, this is the kind of feedback we hope to here from our members, and I'm glad the detachment has made this journey a pleasant one for you :)

13 hours ago, BATS2150 said:

Nice, my legs are big enough to give the thighs a snug fit. I did not want to cut too much off them, or they would not be comfortable because of the awkwardness of the shape. My legs gained about a half inch since I sent Mark the measurements during the build.

I need to go back to the gym. Stopped in the "shut down" and never went back. Essentially I'm a strong stick :lol:

• Like 1

I need advice.

When it comes to mobility cuts... This is my left thigh. For L2/L3 approval, the cuts can not extend above the raised edge. In my case the armor protrudes away from the back of the leg all the way up to the raised edge. Will I be ok with taking off the edge this far up???

57oGhwv.jpeg

For info... The cuts are being made because of this flaw in the armor NOT for mobility reasons. Though I'm sure this does not matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commander Code said:

I need advice.

When it comes to mobility cuts... This is my left thigh. For L2/L3 approval, the cuts can not extend above the raised edge. In my case the armor protrudes away from the back of the leg all the way up to the raised edge. Will I be ok with taking off the edge this far up???

For info... The cuts are being made because of this flaw in the armor NOT for mobility reasons. Though I'm sure this does not matter.

Best for the @Deployment Officer Team to comment on, hopefully they will be along soon

• Like 2

Not a deployment officer, but I had the exact same issue on my AP thighs. About 60 seconds of careful heatgun application had both sides flat and equal to each other. I followed it up with trimming to make them equal and ABS paste to fill the gap.

• Like 2

I had the exact same issue with my AP armour as well.  I glued a small scrap  piece of ABS along the raised edge to bring the pieces together, then made the mobility cut up to the raised edge.  There may be a small gap, but you can fill that with ABS paste

The raised edge is pretty thin in the middle.

P5ebjir.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I hopefully got all of the bugs fixed, (Return Edges, Mobility Cuts, etc., etc;) and laid out everything. I did a pre-fit and I had to round out some edges on the chest and abdominal pieces because they needed to be rounded a bit to prevent cracking. I also used my heat gun to shape the cod and posterior a bit because it kind of drooped a bit when fastened. Full kit up will be done hopefully this week. Just waiting for some black under suit bottoms.

xrf8VU6.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Commander Code said:

I need advice.

57oGhwv.jpeg

Sorry for delaying trooper. fortunately we the D.O. are not alone having such amazing group  of  people willing to help and make real our moto "Troopers Helping Troopers"  

Glad the recommended solutions  made the deal !!  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

Nice work, almost there

Just a couple of things to note, you thighs appear to be hitting your cod, you could drop the thighs a little to give you some room, also shins could come down a touch to give you a little room at the knees.

There is also a big gap between the chest and ab plate in a few images, may need some tighter strapping behind.

Also note the cover strip on your left leg should stop above the lower ridge.

I would also just rim the cover strip on the top of your left thigh, it could catch when moving around or walking

7TlzLHE.jpeg

mG49Nzc.jpg?1  E5L7eXO.jpg?1

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

Make sure those drop boxes align with the ends of your plastic belt

1uoPaEC.jpeg

JuwSduC.jpg?1  vo0s2dK.png?1 

• Like 1

Thank you for this feedback.  For the thighs...rather than dropping them, can I trim them 1/4" ? If so, are the tops of the thighs going to require and edge on them? 

Left thigh cover strip. Not sure how I did not notice before. Will just cut the excess. 

Ab to chest plate. I will make this tighter. Easy change. 

Drop boxes. I think they do line up when properly placed. I think they slid over when moving. Will double check this.

Well you could trim the top of the thighs but everything is sitting up higher as it is, thighs and shins, you do have a big gap of black at your left knee

Notice how low the shins sit on the boots, also minimal gap at the knees in this reference, now compare with your image.516?cb=20220310202020

The image below does have some gap between the thighs and cod so I'm not sure what moved when you were taking photos, maybe it's the arm in the air. 

Compare the two images, gap

80fysvt.jpeg

no gap

7TlzLHE.jpeg

Normally you find a bit of tweaking is needed, especially when you start moving around and also at troops. 

I have walked around in the armor a few times by now and the way it looks is what is comfortable (barely). I can not bend my left leg with the thigh any lower currently. This is why I would trim the tops. Also, I think a lot of that gap above the left knee is due to the foam I have in the shin. It makes it protrude about an inch. I will adjust this soon.   I am 5' 11" and this armor was originally built by Mark @ AP. So I'm not sure how much tweaking these areas should really require as it was built as "movie accurate".

Edited by Commander Code

Some add mobility cuts to the rear of the shins and claves to allow more movement. Just make sure if you add these you don't trim all the ridge off, only the back section 

• Any mobility cuts on the back do not extend beyond the top of the raised ridge.

• Like 1