AP Armor Size Help

1 hour ago, Commander Code said:

I just got done cutting the 4" from the left thigh. I taped for alignment but noticed the right bottom adge protrudes out from the thigh about .5" even though the thigh is perfectly straight. Is this a problem? Or is normal?

iU0kIMj.jpeg

1 hour ago, Commander Code said:

I just got done cutting the 4" from the left thigh. I taped for alignment but noticed the right bottom adge protrudes out from the thigh about .5" even though the thigh is perfectly straight. Is this a problem? Or is normal?

iU0kIMj.jpeg

By cutting the V on lower thigh legs like some of the movies suits will illiminate that problem. I will send you some pics, or apply heat with hair dryer and bend to make it flush.

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Depending on your height (no good if you are really tall) you could trim out mobility cuts,

but the cuts can't leave the top of the raised area for L3

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• Lower thigh ridge joins (front and rear) shall butt-up flush against each other. Any gaps must be backed with ABS or filled as not to be noticeable.
  • Any mobility cuts on the back do not extend beyond the top of the raised ridge.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Commander Code said:

Orlando, FL. Central. Your offer is much appreciated. I may not need additional rivets. I am trying to salvage the ones I took off. Will lyk. Thanks again.

PM sent!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Here are the shins re-sized and glued. I am about to apply Velcro for fastening. Two questions.... How long and how hot of a bath should I leave them (a little tough to hold close) and, is it the fuzzy side on the strip or on the calf?

Once heated you could wrap in masking tape to keep closed, I normally go a little more than what is required as they can/will relax when cooled.

Thread on hot water bath

Doesn't really matter but I tend to add the loop on the calve and the fuzzy under the cover strip, to me it looks neater as the fuzzy is hidden. Make sure you rough up the plastic before applying the glue, gives it something to grip too.

Ok Team,  I am wondering how I can get the "butt crack" piece to align (not sit below) the front cod piece. This is one of the last major alignments needed to be corrected before I can call the torso "done" (minus adding foam for filler). 

8mDUqvA.jpeg

TsHucRy.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Ok Team,  I am wondering how I can get the "butt crack" piece to align (not sit below) the front cod piece. This is one of the last major alignments needed to be corrected before I can call the torso "done" (minus adding foam for filler). 

8mDUqvA.jpeg

TsHucRy.jpeg

Hot water bath may help to bend it into position. I'd wait until you are kitted up and see if it's even an issue ;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Hot water bath may help to bend it into position. I'd wait until you are kitted up and see if it's even an issue ;) 

Ok. From my brief fitment test last night it definitely is a prob. I have not been having any luck with "hot" water baths. Not sure how I fit this sucker in a boiling pot and my bath water does not appear to be hot enough. 

5 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Ok. From my brief fitment test last night it definitely is a prob. I have not been having any luck with "hot" water baths. Not sure how I fit this sucker in a boiling pot and my bath water does not appear to be hot enough. 

I don't use a pot, I have a rectangle tub that works quite well

Using heat on any plastic can a little daunting, I've been using a heat gun for years but it took quite some practice but I find I can control the heat better than using a bath and is very useful for mods like shaping parts.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, Commander Code said:

iU0kIMj.jpeg

I also have an AP kit. The one thigh did not line up evenly on the bottom of mine either just as you showed in the photo. After mobility cuts were put in and with a little bit of heat manipulation, it is barely noticeable. 

• Like 1

Ok! I have all pieces trimmed, fitted, glued, velcro'd, and ready for final touches. (I think):lol:. I am looking for foam to fill the gaps in the pieces and my body parts. What do most use? It is not looking like there are many options for 1" thick neoprene as this is about the size needed to fill the gaps.   

I can see the finish line! :dancing-trooper:

IMHO you want to have breathing room between your body and the armor. It makes things quite comfy for summer trooping and would allow for a thicker undersuit for winter trooping. I wouldn't waste a lot of time looking for a super thick drysuit or anything like that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGF4CTH

I use these airsoft pads for armor padding. They're thinner than the "tactical" helmet padding and the kit is cheap. And there's a TON in the kit. I have the small rectangular ones in my forearms and knees (at the elbow and at the knee front) to prevent armor bites and keep the knees spaced away from the thighs.  I've recently added the small square ones to the backs of my thigh armor at the knee to keep the front as close to my skin as possible and it feels very comfy that way.

I have nothing in my torso for padding, but understand open cell foam is often used in the tummy region. You likely do not want to pad your back as our bodies use that area to help us regulate temperature. If your back is cool, you can happily work outside in 100*F+ weather. If your back is hot, 80*F weather is miserable.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:55 PM, Commander Code said:

J3WolSe.jpeg

Here are the shins re-sized and glued. I am about to apply Velcro for fastening. Two questions.... How long and how hot of a bath should I leave them (a little tough to hold close) and, is it the fuzzy side on the strip or on the calf?

Great job!!!

• Like 1

It's a great feeling when you first put on that armor. Nice work, time to work the kinks out and perhaps some less casual footwear :laugh1: 

• Like 1

YES!! Congratulations! Those pieces all look like they fit quite well. Excellent job!!! :dancing-trooper:

Sorry, but I have to deduct internet points for not wearing the appropriate white crocs. Everyone knows those are the summer footwear choice of the Empire. :laugh1:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It's a great feeling when you first put on that armor. Nice work, time to work the kinks out and perhaps some less casual footwear :laugh1: 

:laugh1: I died laughing when I read your comment. When you troop in the house you have to be comfortable.  Waiting to be able to place my order with imperial boots. Plus the blaster.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

YES!! Congratulations! Those pieces all look like they fit quite well. Excellent job!!! :dancing-trooper:

Sorry, but I have to deduct internet points for not wearing the appropriate white crocs. Everyone knows those are the summer footwear choice of the Empire. :laugh1:

Ha. Lol.  These DC shoes are the way! 

• Like 1