AP Armor Size Help

32 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Thanks for the consistent info and encouragement. I will take a look through these other threads. I will do my best to trim only what is "necessary" and will fill the void with foam. I purchased the armor with Centurion level in mind and as goal. You all will be seeing a lot of me for a while. :salute:

You've got the right attitude so you are halfway there :D 

• Like 1

On the topic of having to refit the armor... yeah, it's not ideal. The amount you're having to refit seems extreme. But please take this perspective - you have a fully built suit of armor to start from as a guide.  As someone who received the box of untrimmed ABS sheets, that's HUGE. I was totally and completely overwhelmed by the box, so much that mine sat in storage for around 4 years.  Getting to start from a "finished" place and modify it for your body is a lot easier task to undergo IMHO.

Not trying to apologize for AP or white knight or anything. Just saying that in retrospect I would have happily paid $700 more to start from where you are than from the untrimmed box starting line. It sucks yours wasn't a bit better fit, but it's still a good starting point. 

Anyways, back to the armor. :salute: Yours is looking better and better. But... why is there such a gap between the abs and chest? Mine overlaps by about 2". I believe your ab/kidney/cod armor needs to come up much higher than you have it. That would let the thighs come up higher and possibly fit better.

• Like 1

Yes, keep a good attitude and patience. To me personally, the modifications will come in handy when I decide to get a set of armor and build it myself. It gives you a sense of accomplishment of knowing that you built it with your own personal touches. 

• Like 1

If you are planning to trim down the sides of the kidney, you will lose the rivets on the left.  If you need replacements, just let me know and I'll send you some (no charge).

What part of Florida do you live in?  The reason I ask is that I know folks in several Squads here that may be able to help you on a one-on-one basis (in person).

• Like 1

I'm watching your progress with great interest as I am considering an AP armor commission.  An immediate difference is you have no gut and I have a gut which is adding 10" to your size.  Your thigh size is the same as me so I'm concerned there too for that gap.  I'm sure you will get all the help you need to get it right for you, but it does suck that you have to make those drastic changes right away.  I'm in contact with someone from my local garrison that can help me should I go this route too.

Bart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

I'm watching your progress with great interest as I am considering an AP armor commission.  An immediate difference is you have no gut and I have a gut which is adding 10" to your size.  Your thigh size is the same as me so I'm concerned there too for that gap.  I'm sure you will get all the help you need to get it right for you, but it does suck that you have to make those drastic changes right away.  I'm in contact with someone from my local garrison that can help me should I go this route too.

Pays to make sure you give as many measurements as you can. It doesn't always happen that you have to do extensive rework, most of the time it's just adjusting some strapping and armor placement.

Good to hear you have local help in needed, most garrisons have members willing to lend a hand, "troopers helping troopers"

• Like 1

Hey Troops!  You all have been great. I'm loving this community the more I post. Some interesting info has come my way. I was messaged by another group member whom just recieved their AP Armor a few days before me. They state their armor is way too small. They sent me their specs and it is unfortunate to say but I believe Mark made a large boo boo. My suit (originally) seems like it would have fit him perfectly and vice versa. We are in communication and will hopefully get to the bottom of this. What could be done? Should AP be held responsible? If so, what is recommended action?   TIA

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Hey Troops!  You all have been great. I'm loving this community the more I post. Some interesting info has come my way. I was messaged by another group member whom just recieved their AP Armor a few days before me. They state their armor is way too small. They sent me their specs and it is unfortunate to say but I believe Mark made a large boo boo. My suit (originally) seems like it would have fit him perfectly and vice versa. We are in communication and will hopefully get to the bottom of this. What could be done? Should AP be held responsible? If so, what is recommended action?   TIA

Hi All, 

I am the other half of this issue.

The armor I received is way too small, as I described in my build thread:

The clearest example is the thigh plating. I measured 26in and the internal diameter of my thigh plates is 24 in. Commander Code posted pictures of his and he is swimming in them. 

Hopefully, we can get this sorted out. 

-Joe

• Like 2

Scratch that. 

Mark emailed back and said that there is no mix-up. He sent Commander Code and me appropriately abdomen pieces sized to our measurements, but the extremity armor is all the same size. I comment more in my build thread, I'll avoid monopolizing CC's thread. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:14 AM, justjoseph63 said:

If you are planning to trim down the sides of the kidney, you will lose the rivets on the left.  If you need replacements, just let me know and I'll send you some (no charge).

What part of Florida do you live in?  The reason I ask is that I know folks in several Squads here that may be able to help you on a one-on-one basis (in person).

Orlando, FL. Central. Your offer is much appreciated. I may not need additional rivets. I am trying to salvage the ones I took off. Will lyk. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Commander Code said:

BceEDz4.jpeg

aRyRfMX.jpeg

So here is the right thigh re sized to fit my thigh a bit better (will still require foam on inside). My concern is.. will I still qualify for Centurion with the thigh looking like this? 

Code 

If you decide to trim legs down make sure to remove material equally on each side so ABS strip will be centered, example if your total removal is 5" remove 2.5" on each side, basically rear strip should line up with front strip as much as possible, if you need any extra ABS strips or rivets ect.. let me know.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ABS80 said:

Code 

If you decide to trim legs down make sure to remove material equally on each side so ABS strip will be centered, example if your total removal is 5" remove 2.5" on each side, basically rear strip should line up with front strip as much as possible, if you need any extra ABS strips or rivets ect.. let me know.

Mark (AP)

Hey Mark. Welcome to party!

Thanks for that info. I think I am looking at about 2" from both sides to total 4". Will that be ok?

For rear cover strips, please check out my EIB application.

89400-cent-48.jpg

As per Mark's advice, my front strips and rear strips line up. I *did* achieve centurion with the armor, but the ideal alignment is not having the front and rear strips at equal locations. You want that rear strip to be centered with the back of the thigh as per Joseph's drawing.

AgNzFje.jpg?1

So, while the top on your thigh photo looks good, the bottom could stand to be centered if possible. Or at least closer to center than mine is.

And then, of course, the rear shin cover strip needs to line up with the thigh line and your rear boot line.

Legs are weird. :6::laugh1:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

89400-cent-48.jpg

As per Mark's advice, my front strips and rear strips line up. I *did* achieve centurion with the armor, but the ideal alignment is not having the front and rear strips at equal locations. You want that rear strip to be centered with the back of the thigh as per Joseph's drawing.

AgNzFje.jpg?1

So, while the top on your thigh photo looks good, the bottom could stand to be centered if possible. Or at least closer to center than mine is.

And then, of course, the rear shin cover strip needs to line up with the thigh line and your rear boot line.

In other words the slight angle depicted is more or less what they are looking for. Not perfectly vertical but center of the thigh. For me my thighs are small so it will look vertical regardless as long as I cut it straight 

2 hours ago, Commander Code said:

In other words the slight angle depicted is more or less what they are looking for. Not perfectly vertical but center of the thigh. For me my thighs are small so it will look vertical regardless as long as I cut it straight 

Just measure 2" from top edge and 2" from bottom edge and trim,  strip should be vertically straight from up to down exactly like I built it originaly.  Adam mentioned that your rear strip is not centered at the bottom but thats because you overlaped the parts and didn't trim them yet so it looks like your strip is off centered at the bottom, once trimmed and you glue the strip it will be centered. 

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, revlimiter said:

89400-cent-48.jpg

AgNzFje.jpg?1

The strip looks off centered at the bottom because he overlaped the parts to test fit, once he removes equal material on each part strip will be perfectely centered. 

Edited by ABS80

3 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

lrhbI7k.jpeg

khRRS6t.jpeg

Alright guys! Just trimmed 4" total. Looking much better. Nice and vertical just as specified. And yeah, that's a new bag of clamps and a tube of e6000. :tkrotj: I should be pro by the end of this. :laugh1:

Perfect!!!!

• Like 1

I know it is of no help to you however I just wanted to let you know that you're resizing challenge is helping me to understand what I may have to go through having thin legs too so I appreciate you documenting it here.

Bart

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bartman said:

I know it is of no help to you however I just wanted to let you know that you're resizing challenge is helping me to understand what I may have to go through having thin legs too so I appreciate you documenting it here.

Bart

Your appreciation is appreciated. I spent months on this forum prior to purchasing armor. Unfortunately I am very slender and not to many folks on here have this narrow of a frame. Not much to go off of.    This thread was intended to recieve as well as provide any insight as to how armor building/modding can be achieved. Especially for us slender troops.   Thank you!

• Like 1