CapMcAwesome's ANH Stunt Build (AP)

CapMcAwesome

Big Brown Box day has finally arrived! 

I wound up doing a commissioned build through Mark with Authentic Props so a lot of work is pre-done...  I do think the armor will need some tweaking before it is ready for approval, unfortunately.

ceg6mGS.jpg?1

There are some minor tweaks (lots of sharp corners that poke uncomfortably), but there are a few major issues that I need to address before addressing the details and going for approval.

The biggest issue is that the thigh armor does not fit. The thigh pieces do not slide all the way up (too much resistance in my upper thighs, making it impossible to bend my knees. The thigh pieces are bonded so I'm not sure if they could be opened up and loosened without creating gaps. Alternatively, there is a ridge that I might be able to trim down to get the extra distance up my leg to make it all fit.  Any suggestions?

qEckuz3.jpg

7F7ipJX.jpg

The shin pieces fit well enough but don't close naturally. Would putting velcro on the insides be a problem? 

TqgWZ7n.jpg?1

I went for the commissioned build because spare time is very hard to come by, right now. Unfortunately, that means I'm starting without the skills, tools, or practice needed to easily make modifications. I'd appreciate any advice y'all can offer.  

That said, I'm hopeful. It's close enough that I can tell this is going to be awesome.

zKwomf9.jpg?1

Great news, nothing better than BBB's. Many find with commission builds that they have to do a few mods to strapping so you are not alone.

Looks like you may need tighter strapping between your ab and chest, riding up, or it could be because you have your arms lifted.

zKwomf9.jpg?1

Many of use use velcro on the rear of the shins, but on some occasions you need to apply some heat so the shins will close fully, many use a hot water batch, I use a heat gun but that's with A LOT of practice, using a heat gun can be dangerous as you can go from almost pliable to molten mess.

TqgWZ7n.jpg?1

YqoEdA9.jpg

e05hJkS.jpg

rPkdmnb.jpg

Originally the screen suits use elastic and hooks

gallery_12157_15_27566.jpg

With your thighs you may be able to add larger rear coverstrips, or you may have to add some shims depending how wide you need to go.

A couple of thread may be helpful 

You could also shape some of your coverstrips so they don't dig into you when moving

qEckuz3.jpg

gallery_12157_15_41437.jpg

gallery_12157_15_1150.jpg

gallery_12157_15_51563.jpg

Lots of helpful folk on the forum ready to assist so don't be too worried 

• Like 2

Hi Joe.  congrats on the kit.  I think the required fixes are doable.  I've had to resize a trooper's AP kit before.  Mark uses e6000 (or at last he did on the kit I worked on), which means the parts will pull apart with some careful encouragement.  The trouble will be getting some wider cover strips for the thigh to make it bigger (you could ask Mark for those).  Also, be sure to remove the return edge on the thighs with lexan scissors or something similar - this will buy you some more room (sorry, I don't have access to a program that will allow me to mark-up your images right now).  

You can absolutely put velcro on the shins.  What did Mark use?  There is usualy something there to keep them closed.  Get the adhesive, industrial strength stuff in white.  Rough side facing out - I see Glenn just posted as I was writing this - see his post.

And yes, the straps from the Ab to the chest will need to be shortened.  I had to adjust the placement of the shoulder bridges on the kit I worked on - that allowed the chest piece to sit a bit lower.

These are all manageable fixes that we can talk you through - but it would help if you could reach out to your Garrison and see if someone can help in person (that would be the quickest way).  They may even have the few tools you need to make the adjustments.

• Like 1

I'm going to be eager to see your fixes.  If I get armor I will be in the same boat as you.  No tools, no skills in this and not a ton of time to fiddle with it.  Since I am also looking at AP armor anything you need to do I may need to follow with.  I can't wait to see it all done and fitted on you!  

Bart

• Like 2

Hi All,

I was able to take a few more photos today. Hopefully, after reviewing these, you guys might be able to help guide the modifications. I'll. post the issues I've identified, but I'd love to hear any comments about things I've missed.

I managed to put on the whole set of armor:

XM3CNU8l.jpg

Pd84SB9l.jpg

Leg close up front/back:

y7URAKml.jpg

MfhsMH8l.jpg

Thigh Piece Front and Back:

oNmv9xsl.jpg

7F6xy3Sl.jpg

Inside helmet:

eso7l2Bl.jpg

The issues I am aware of:

• The backs of my shin pieces do not close.
  • There are sharp edges on the shin pieces that poke the back of my knees uncomfortably
  • My thigh pieces seem to be too tight to go as high as they're supposed to. As a result, I cannot bend my knees. 
    • Question Is this something that needs to be addressed by widening the pieces (so they sit higher) or by adding a mobility cut to the back of the knees (so they don't go higher, but I can bend my legs)?
  • The strap on the left shoulder is un-glued. I've gotten some E6000 glue and I've glued it.  Leaving it to dry overnight. 
  •  The rigging from the chest to abdomen appears to have a gap (as pointed out above). I'll need to figure out the best way to address this.
  • The shoulder strap velcro on the right was unfastened when photos were taken. I think I should be ok.
  • Inside the helmet, the green plastic blocks my nose from fitting in the nose bridge and prevents the helmet from sitting right. I plan to trim this. 
    • I'd also like to black-out the inside eventually. 

Does anyone else see other issues?

Looks like there's more work to do than I was hoping, but I think it'll pay off:

Pdf09zGl.jpg

Thanks again!

Most of your issues I've posted to already but to answer again

The issues I am aware of:

• The backs of my shin pieces do not close. See previous reply
  • There are sharp edges on the shin pieces that poke the back of my knees uncomfortably. Trimming should solve this
  • My thigh pieces seem to be too tight to go as high as they're supposed to. As a result, I cannot bend my knees. 
    • Question Is this something that needs to be addressed by widening the pieces (so they sit higher) or by adding a mobility cut to the back of the knees (so they don't go higher, but I can bend my legs)? Yes they are too tight and too low, they need to come up (see thigh shim info in my previous post)
  • The strap on the left shoulder is un-glued. I've gotten some E6000 glue and I've glued it.  Leaving it to dry overnight. Generally we add snaps to these areas so they can be removed in case of needing adjustments.
  •  The rigging from the chest to abdomen appears to have a gap (as pointed out above). I'll need to figure out the best way to address this. Tighter strapping may help, although you look quite tall for the armor, many armor kits are suited up to 6'. 
  • The shoulder strap velcro on the right was unfastened when photos were taken. I think I should be ok. Velcro isn't generally used as it's not very strong, but if it's holding see how it goes, may of us use elastic and snaps.
  • Inside the helmet, the green plastic blocks my nose from fitting in the nose bridge and prevents the helmet from sitting right. I plan to trim this. 
    • I'd also like to black-out the inside eventually. You may be able to cut a V out of this section, normally I cut the lens only slightly larger than the eye openings.

You may also need some elastic to keep your shoulder straps down at the back, when you have corrected the chest positioning. 

AK9w0mr.jpg?1     lbfFArU.jpg?1     FAKhPZ2.jpg?1

Belt could come up a touch, also need the large ab plate bottom button painted blue

zKwomf9.jpg?1

8XAwYOf.jpg?1  Nvimd6R.jpg?1  N8trEfM.jpg?1

LSuei4K.jpg?1   JViLwBX.jpg?1

Helmet is too high on your head as well as angled downwards at the front, you may be able to use thinner padding or tilt head backwards

Pd84SB9l.jpg

Also bring your biceps up a little, then adjust the gaps at wrists and elbows, they are all touching at present and you need a little room there

XM3CNU8l.jpg

Hard to tell from your image but your brow trim looks a little low for a "stunt" version. Also mic tips rim could be painted white 

Pdf09zGl.jpg

WI2bP5F.jpg?1  Mcn1ygN.jpg?1  oZJo3tr.jpg?2

rmMCj1s.jpg?1   WYFQFmd.jpg?2

Update

The good news. The helmet was an easy fix:

The brow had slid down, I was able to push it up easily. 

kaVv1d9l.jpg

I trimmed the green plastic up, so the helmet sits more naturally on my head

5DsStX5l.jpg

The bad. I am really struggling with the legs:

I trimmed the return edges down on the tops and bottoms of the thigh pieces. I also opened up the back of the thighs to see just how much space I need to account for. The results are not encouraging:

ktyV7kwl.jpg

1G7MADnl.jpg

The size and irregular shape of the have me worried. I'm guessing this is beyond simply gluing on bigger cover strips. Do I need to make Shims? I'd already asked Mark from AP to send some ABS Strips and I've saved my trimming scraps. Any other thoughts? 

Can be a common issue for those with larger thighs, here are a few threads on those who have tackled the same issue

25 minutes ago, Commander Code said:

Hey Troops!  You all have been great. I'm loving this community the more I post. Some interesting info has come my way. I was messaged by another group member whom just recieved their AP Armor a few days before me. They state their armor is way too small. They sent me their specs and it is unfortunate to say but I believe Mark made a large boo boo. My suit (originally) seems like it would have fit him perfectly and vice versa. We are in communication and will hopefully get to the bottom of this. What could be done? Should AP be held responsible? If so, what is recommended action?   TIA

This explains a lot.

The clearest example is the thigh plating. I measured 26in and the internal diameter of my thigh plates is 24 in. Commander Code posted pictures of his and he is swimming in them. 

Hopefully, we can get this sorted out. 

Well, scratch that.

Mark emailed back and said that there is no mix-up. He sent Commander Code and me appropriately abdomen pieces sized to our measurements, but the extremity armor is all the same size. 

I'll admit to being a bit disappointed and frustrated. These are the measurements I sent when I ordered the "Ready to Wear" package. 

Waist Size at Belly Button: 44in
Widest Point Thighs: 26in
Widest Point Calves: 16.5in
Widest Point Forearms: 12in
Widest Point Biceps: 13.5in

The interior diameter of my thigh piece is 24in

F6QIK3Nl.jpg

It seems that shimming will be necessary to fit the size I ordered. If I'd known I'd still need to buy the equipment and invest the time to make these substantial changes, I would have saved myself the money and ordered the kit raw.  

I'll get back to the "build" portion of this thread soon.  I appreciate all your input and guidance, I'll be needing it. 

2 minutes ago, CapMcAwesome said:

Well, scratch that.

Mark emailed back and said that there is no mix-up. He sent Commander Code and me appropriately abdomen pieces sized to our measurements, but the extremity armor is all the same size. 

I'll admit to being a bit disappointed and frustrated. These are the measurements I sent when I ordered the "Ready to Wear" package. 

Waist Size at Belly Button: 44in
Widest Point Thighs: 26in
Widest Point Calves: 16.5in
Widest Point Forearms: 12in
Widest Point Biceps: 13.5in

The interior diameter of my thigh piece is 24in

F6QIK3Nl.jpg

It seems that shimming will be necessary to fit the size I ordered. If I'd known I'd still need to buy the equipment and invest the time to make these substantial changes, I would have saved myself the money and ordered the kit raw.  

I'll get back to the "build" portion of this thread soon.  I appreciate all your input and guidance, I'll be needing it. 

Did you ask if you could be supplied another pair of thighs? Would be easier using an untrimmed pair than adding shims to your current ones.

I had to do a little tweaking myself, mainly on return edges & mobility cuts because I am a little short for a Stormtrooper, forgive the Pun. I expected to do a little work here and there and I feel it will benefit me in the future when I decide to do a build myself. I also researched a lot about commissions and from the content, I am not the only one who had to do a little work. I am not trying to knock anyone here, but this is what I have experienced. Just be patient guys and take your time because like I said a while back in a reply to another thread, the reward will be worth it. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:19 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Did you ask if you could be supplied another pair of thighs? Would be easier using an untrimmed pair than adding shims to your current ones.

I have an AP kit as well and have fairly large thighs. I bought the untrimmed kit and was able to do the thighs with minimal shimming. The only issue you may run into is the cover strip width will be different between the thighs and the shins. May need to redo the shin cover strips, so likely would want some cover strip material as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...