Neck crack starting

Zinfer

First crack on this armor has begun.  Chest piece, center neck.  I'll need to take a photo yet.  Not sure if I should try to cut most of it out.  Really not sure the procedure on this before it worsens.  Make that two cracks.  Hadn't noticed the second until the photos.  PNt5edV.jpg

1P319YW.jpg

1MiRJSw.jpg

MyTEeYD.jpg

Edited by Zinfer
photos added

There's a few different ways to tackle cracks, with any I have found I rough up the area, trim a piece of plastic to go over the crack, apply 2 pack 5 minute glue as I find that grips well then let dry. On my FOTK I use JB weld as it is sandable and can not only support but also fill the crack, and paint is going over so doesn't matter about color difference.

Some other threads on the subject

• Like 2

T-shirt & CA is most likely to succeed.  However after careful consideration on how early this was caught and the visibility of the area I opted to trim out the troubled area.  Taking into consideration Cableguys comments that it is not a repair of the split, but a reinforcement.  I didn't want it creeping back on me in a few troops worth much later.  Trimmed to zero or nearly zero return edge.  Essentially removing the split entirely.  In doing so, hoping to relieve a stress point.  C8SYnL0.jpg

a00ChwF.jpg

94dINJn.jpg

NY6Pyuf.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a good repair! I'd certainly enforce the back side with an extra layer of plastic in that general area. A wide arc of glued in material (doesn't even have to be ABS) would help strengthen the plate and keep this from happening again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now for my final fix.  I had a few experiences with perpetration collecting in the rubber gloves.  I was advised to use cotton  inserts.  I did that and felt that took care of it until one day recently, an all outdoor Car show for Cancer in which a high five was given and a drop went shooting out of the glove again.  This is highly embarrassing.  So I sought out more advice.  Was told that a Nomex glove would take care of this, with the use of the plastic hand plates.  Purchased the Nomex and about ready to start in on the strapping for it.  I've heard just using 1 strap isn't necessarily the best approach.  Should also have another at the wrist.  Perhaps a button there.  But I've also seen Panda attach his hand plates in the same fashion as the elbow strapping.  But if I do that I would not be able to ever go back to the dishwashing gloves.

This is sort of a soapbox topic for me, so we'll just get right into it again... :deadhorse:

I juuuuuuuust don't get it when it comes to the rubber gloves. Mine only ever come out for L2/L3 photos and that's IT - never for trooping. And the solution for "my gloves are too hot" being to... add more gloves? Nope.

I live and troop in sunny Southern California and it's pretty consistently 80°F+ (27°C+) in the summer, so I want to be doing all I can to be comfortable so that I can troop longer, happier. And trust me that in all my years, not a single person (including LFL) has ever mentioned my gloves. 

K4Hy11K.jpeg 

I wear the lightest, thinnest all-black "running gloves" that I can find, and these above are my current favorite. You do need to clip the tags off, and I highly recommend washing them thoroughly before wear to ensure there's no dye left in them (but to confirm, it is not the purple type that will stain your armor), but otherwise these are perfect, imo. I like the little grip they have, I can use my phone with them on, and the cuff is long enough to tuck into my forearms. The nomex are better than rubber, but I find they don't fit as well, and the leather strip that most have down their palm is unnecessary and looks worse, imo.

D1HP5qL.jpeg 

I pair these with the stock plastic (Anovos) handguards, which are not as hot as gluing on silicone handguards either, and utilize two straps that are E6000'ed in to help it stay flush when I bend my wrist. The top is 1" black braided/knit elastic (not woven/ribbed, which has no place anywhere on your suit) and the one glued in at the wrist is admittedly just a flat black hair tie, but it does the job well and they are readily available.

7pehLR7.jpeg

Hope this helps!

I find rubber gloves comfortable, especially when wearing the inner gloves, they soak up any sweat and I change them over after having a break so your hands feel fresh. At the end of the day it's what every makes you feel comfortable and of course what ever the troops is, canon troops should be rubber gloves :D